main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Upcoming canonization of Legends characters

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Yunzabit, Jan 28, 2018.

1. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    My immediate thought is that they'll probably continue to lean on Zahn characters, and I'd think it'd be along the lines of Pellaeon of Talon Karrde in the next Thrawn novel, something like that....but they could really easily do Prince Xizor and get some mileage out of it.

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  2. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    I completely agree, especially as those seem the most recogniseable without requiring too much twisting of the character.

3. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    With Xizor I'm surprised it hasn't happened sooner. After the Clone Wars set up Black Sun and the Falleen it would have been the easiest thing in the world for them.

I might be misremembering, but I do recall Henry Gilroy saying on a Thrawn panel a while ago that he really liked Pellaeon and would like to use him, so maybe there's something to that.

4. snelson

snelson Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 21, 2005
    This is very funny

Shadowrain10 and sidv88 like this.
  5. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    Thinking about it, Dash Rendar might be a likely possibility with the Solo movie and books related to it out soon. They wouldn't really have to change his character with him being an established good natured smuggler type character.

6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    If the Star Wars book jumps to post ESB we may see Dash but, to be honest, Marvel should do it the way they did it in the 80s. More Lando! But a post ESB Jump I think means Xizor could totally pop up.

As for Mara, I love her as the Emperor's hand and her post-Endor introductory period where she's stewing on the Emperor's last command rattling around in her brain and her meeting with Luke. (that to me is the core of character, way more than Luke Skywalker's wife) Maybe make her an Inquistor instead of Emperor's Hand who manged to be on the downside after (probably) the Inquistors were wiped out at Malachor. Or maybe Sidious trained her as an Inquistor during the post-Yavin/Endor period. Basically, I'm way more into crazy former Imperial weapon Mara than Skywalker romantic interest. Not to say they can't have, y'know, a thing but that's about it.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
    Grievousdude and Daneira like this.
  7. DarthHass

DarthHass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2004
    How about a story where the emperor trained both Mara and Shira Brie -- pitting them against each other and sent them both out in the galaxy to hunt the rebellion

8. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Ooh, that could be very interesting!

9. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    The fact that they introduced a "new Han Solo" for Shadows of the Empire when Lando was sitting right there made no sense to me.

nancipants and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  10. Darthur C. Clarke

Darthur C. Clarke Jedi Master star 3

Jul 8, 2016
    I'm interested to see if the end of Rebels has anything to say on this.....

Kyp Durron would be an interesting addition, but I don't see how any of the things that formed his character could happen...but a throwaway line in Solo could involve a Durron in the Kessel mines, and such...doubt it, though.

I really think unless Johnson's new trilogy is going to go there, we should see alot of the Old Republic stuff come back. Very little of it would step on the toes of the new canon. I never played the games, but I read the old Tales of the Jedi comics. Loved the story of Exar Kun and the Qel-Dromas. I could see this being redone as a mini-series type animation, or such. Actually, with the amount of animation at their disposal from Disney, I'm kind of shocked nothing like this has been done yet. DC has been making great animated movies for years which are really just retellings of popular comics; and they work a whole hell of a lot better than their live action universe (which I also like, but admit the faults of).

Word is Thrawn is going to survive Rebels...wonder what they have planned for him? Maybe a story that will drag some other old timers back in to the light?

BigAl6ft6 and SpecForce Trooper like this.
  11. BeesInABar

BeesInABar Jedi Master star 1

Sep 20, 2015
    I have always felt that the new canon should do its own thing, but really prominent EU characters who had become staples of the Star Wars universe should be a part of it. To me, that’s Thrawn, Mara, Revan. Ideally I’d have liked for Jacen and Jaina to be carried over. And if I had a wish list? Karrde, Tycho, Isard, maaaaaaybe Daala. Even more maybe Borsk.
    Maybe it’s my comics upbringing, but I’d be fine with them being reimagined. I thought Alfred Molina’s Doc Ock in Spider-Man 2 was one of the best versions of the character, even though it wasn’t totally true to the comics. I’m sure Ian McKellen’s Gandalf isn’t exactly what Tolkien would have wanted, but it still feels true to the character. I want a canon Mara, and I don’t really care if she doesn’t marry Luke as long as she feels like the old Mara.
    EDIT: Individual characters aside, I once again demand recanonization of the Ssi-Ruuk.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  12. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Legends continuing or being designated as a mirror universe are both fine by me. I am not interested in crossovers-that's a Marvel/DC thing.

13. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Minor nitpicking: I wouldn't use the term "mirror", as it implies showing evil characteristics in place of good and vice versa.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  14. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Alternate universe then.

15. ForcePushUp

ForcePushUp Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 19, 2016
    Dorsk 81....Dorsk 81. Come on Dorsk 81!

Hey, I can dream, can't I?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
  16. nancipants

nancipants Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 16, 2017
    I would LOVE a situation where Luke meets Mara while he's hunting down Jedi lore/Palpatine's observatories, similar to how he meets Del in Battlefront II.

Darthur C. Clarke likes this.
  17. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Why does everyone want to make Mara an Inquisitor? She was never a Jedi hunter. What's wrong with her being simply a darkside agent doing the Emperor's bidding?

18. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    I want Vergere to be canon. I want her to be an Order 66 survivor who left the galaxy and then when the Emperor dies, to return and try to "guide" Luke like she did with Jacen Solo only the outcome is Luke doesn't turn of course.

19. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Solo spoilers
    Is there a chance we may see Halla on Mimban?

20. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Couldn't Vergere still be canon? She guides Ben Solo to the dark side with shady teachings, conveniently gets herself killed, and Snoke takes over from there (the way Jacen went from Vergere to Lumiya).

Yunzabit likes this.
  21. My vote is for Mara Jade, Galen Marek ,Dash Rendar, Xizor, Darth Talon and maybe Lumiya

22. Darthur C. Clarke

Darthur C. Clarke Jedi Master star 3

Jul 8, 2016
    I really hated that they made Vergere darkside. Especially because it was so obviously aimed at correcting fan backlash over the idea that there was no dark or light side of the force, these things were internal to the user. I actually really liked this idea, the character Vergere and the Jacen Solo they were very clearly setting up to be the next head of the Jedi Order back in that era of the EU.

This was my first experience of why a fanbase's desires are not necessarily good for a franchise, and catering exclusively to them will lead to stagnation of a property. Traitor was hands down the best Star Wars book since The Last Command; making Vergere a secret Sith and Jacen a future Sith made this book ridiculous and Ganner's Sacrifice/Last Stand counter-productive. To read Rogue Planet, Traitor, and Destiny's Way and think she was a Sith is insane and in my opinoin the most obvious and poor-working retcon this side of the Black Hole explanation to the Kessel Run.

Now, that said; does anyone know the full intention that went along with the Vong almost being included in Clone Wars? How close did they get to making this stuff canon, and what would have been the implications? This could point towards how far they were willing to go with recanonizations....

23. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Vergere's methods were messed up, but I felt that she cared for Jacen. Force Ghost too. Lumiya is a liar.
    The Vong would be Force sensitive since the whole being outside of the Force went against Lucas' vision.
    There were concept art only.
    It was to be an X-Files type thing. They abduct civilians, the Jedi have to find them.

Darthur C. Clarke and Lady_Misty like this.
  24. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    This is true; and the Emperor's Hand title has already been recanonized by Rebels -- albeit it in a slightly different context.

If we see Mimban at all. I wonder if "Mimban Trooper" is just the nickname for swamp troopers or whatever they might be, and we'll only be seeing the troopers rather than the planet itself.

25. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Why would they just straight up scrap the existing naming conventions and throw a planet name in there? It's like Sand Troopers being Tatooine Troopers, or Shore Troopers being Scariff Troopers, or Scout Troopers being Endor troopers. It doesn't fit.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.