main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Upcoming Clone Wars Series... What's the difference?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Brendukoo, Apr 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brendukoo

Brendukoo Jedi Youngling

Apr 15, 2008
    Greetings all;

First time poster, long time lurker :)

With the all the upcoming SW content due out in the next year or so, I figured now was a good a time as any to start posting. My first question though has to deal with the upcoming Clone Wars series. In short, what's going to be the difference between it, and the previously released Clone Wars series that was a cartoon? I mean, I have both DVD's of the Clone Wars cartoons at home.

So why make another?

Is the story going to be that drastically different?

2. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    Yes, yes it will.

It's going to have like a movie plot, that follows most of the story I'm guessing. CW I and II was mainly just Jedi on planets kicking ***.

It's going to be amazing, and just by the looks of it pure eye candy for SW fans.

3. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    The previous Clone Wars series were twenty 3-minute shorts and five 12-minute shorts, made in 2D style. They were pretty much just action sequences.

The new series will be full 22-minute episodes in 3D style. Given the longer run time, you can expect proper storylines and characterization.

4. iLoveAnakin7

iLoveAnakin7 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 17, 2005
    A lot of the show will have 22 min. episodes that focus solely on characters that didn't get any previous focus in the movies or in the old cartoon, like Kit Fisto, and sometimes episodes will just be about clone troopers and no one else. Things like that.

The previous animated short was rather rushed I guess you could say, and this one will be a lot more in depth with regards to plotlines and character interactions, and give us more insight into the war overall. :)

Three years of war is a lot to tell, and I'm a little sad that they aren't going back to the very beginning of the war right after episode 2 ends, and taking it all the way through, right up until the beginning of 3. Oh well.

I'm excited. :D

5. Cid

Cid Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 7, 2007
    Interesting point. What happens if the series goes 5 years or so?

6. WookieeWarrior9

WookieeWarrior9 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 5, 2007
    Well that's exactly what George is committed to doing. They're already working on scripts for Season 3 right now and the last time he said anything, they were already done with a number of the Season 2 episodes.

7. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master star 6

Jun 17, 2005
    Welcome to the forums, Brendukoo. It's good to have you with us. :D So...

[image=http://www.starwars.com/theclonewars/news/img/20080212_1_sm.jpg] [image=http://www.aintitcool.com/images2008/tcw3.jpg]

compared to

[image=http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/b/bb/Padme_cartoon.jpg] [image=http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/7/7f/Kenobi-and-Durge.jpg]

Being a visually driven person, the above is the first thing that gets my blood boiling with excitement.

:D

8. _Sublime_Skywalker_

May 8, 2004
    New characters, longer screentime, more depth and story. Beautiful animation.

Really, George is already working on a third season of CW?! Oh man, I'm so happy to hear that. I really thought it would be just a one season thing, like a little side project like CW I and II. I didn't doubt the successfulness of the show, but rather Lucas's commitment.

9. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    One things keep nagging about this thing (aside from the padawan thing). Anakin is shown with the scar (which we know he got in DoR) which woujld suggest the story takes place after DoR BUT the clones we see here are in Phase I armour while those in DoR were in Phase II armor. It's not a very big continuity error and we can probably retcon it but...I hate the thought of having to retcon something (no matter how many retcons have been done, I still hate the need for them).

10. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    Another example of EU getting mixed up with itself.

11. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Not really an error- the Phase II armor didn't go into use until about 24 months into the war- it's quite plausible that not every unit was upgraded only 6-7 months later. Also ARC Troopers and Clone Commandos still had helmets that resembled the Phase I armor more than the Phase II. And plus, by the time of ROTS, there's such a mismatch of armor styles and components, I think anything is really fair game, armor-wise. ;)

Plus, at C4, they said they wanted to show the transition from Phase I to Phase II (as well as armored-Obi-Wan from Clone Wars GT to the unarmored Obi-Wan of ROTS), so their inclusion here makes sense for what they're trying to accomplish.

12. Brendukoo

Brendukoo Jedi Youngling

Apr 15, 2008
    Yeah, I suppose there is a difference.

I personally thought the old cartoons/DVD's, other than the fact that the animation was a little so-so were actually really good. A lot of you say that it was "just action scenes".

Well there were quite a few, but we're talking about a war here are we not? It also gave us the chance to first see the true power of a jedi that they couldn't pull off in live action. (i.e. Yoda taking down ships using the force, or Mace beating down 100's of droids at once)

Plus, there was a ton of character development and scenes. Such as how 3-PO got his gold coating. Or how Anakin goes through the Knight trials. We also see a lot of interaction between Anakin and Obi-wan in "ordinary" situations which was nice. Like the scene where we see Anakin, "feeding off the living force". I thought that was brilliant.

I just hope the new series/movie brings more to the table, and isn't just a re-hash in prettier form.

13. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    I hope the story is good, cause I despise the art style...anorexic avatars....eesh.

I truly hope, even though it's animated, they attempt to keep it in the realm of "realism".

The cartoon got a little too "Samurai Jack" overboard at times.

14. WookieeWarrior9

WookieeWarrior9 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 5, 2007
    Yeah, it was on one of the many articles and interviews that popped up around the time of ShoWest. I couldn't find it if I tried, but he mentioned that, along with being committed to 5 seasons. He's mentioned working on Season 3 here, but it's not the same article I saw where he also mentioned being done with some of the season 2 episodes.

http://entertainmentnow.wordpress.com/2008/03/17/george-lucas-star-wars-the-clone-wars-interview/

And JediMarine, the show is keeping with film style physics. That's my only complaint with the original, and it was a big complaint at that.

15. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    In the article you linked to above, WW, Lucas is quoted as saying: "The TV series is exactly like the movies, exactly. I mean, you can see it in the clip. It?s basically just the movies only with cartoon characters."

This could definitely indicate that he wants to keep it real.

16. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Well, my biggest thing will be is that the Clone Wars is the perfect canvass to tell the kinds of stories that he couldn't do in Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith. So die hard eu loving fans ain't going to like this too much. Jst read the gizmundo site where they got the trailer up and you'll see the negative respone.[face_thinking]

GT style was critized by many die hard fans. If you notice I said die hards. The average kid really liked it in fact after GT was shafted with 3 minutes for 19 episodes, 1 five minute episode and 5 twelve minute epiosdes, the series did fantastically well with numerous Emmy and Annie nominations and victories, not to mention the success that it brought to the carton network, GT, and GL's galaxy, plus it did help GL decide that the animated series that he was doing was going to be in "The Clone Wars Era"! Now flash forward to Dark Horses Clone War Adventure books volume 1-10. Their have the same 2-d style art, exaggerated, with the bright colors and now even thoughs are being nominted for an Eisner award for Best Children books and have sold extremelly well for Dark Horse, accroding to Jeremy Barlow.

Now, this new series has its work cut out. This series will have to prove that it is way better than anything that was done before. With the movie release and tv release, these have to score well with the box office and tv ratings, get nomintaed and win some of the industry awards (Oscar,Emmy, and Annie) and do very well with fans. That is a tall order to follow. [face_thinking]

The good news though is that unlike the previous series, this one is made accessebile to everyone, and one way or another a lot of people will see the Clone Wars. Whoever thought about the movie release was a smart person, cause that alone will bring in many fans, plus the release of tie-products like ROTS.=D=

I'm excited becuase perosnally, in the end, the best era regardless will be the Clone Wars. Think about it, it has been covered in the movies, novels, comic books, video games, toys, short stories, 2-d animation and now 3-d animation with many more coming. No other era will have that kind of diversification and success. Not Legacy, not post NJO, nor the vaunted KOTOR era. The Clone Wars! The sad part is like I said before, many die hard eu loving Legacy, Rebellion, Dark Times, KOTOR, del rey hating fans are going to be against this.:rolleyes:

17. _Sublime_Skywalker_

May 8, 2004
    I was actually quite suprised Anakin had his scar in CW at all. George loves to show the fans how certain things happened, and although it was covered in the comics and books, I wouldn't have been suprised if we saw him get it on screen.

18. Jeff_Fett

Jeff_Fett Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 9, 2002
    Sorry what is DoR, and where is it in the CW time line?

19. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    I believe Garak was referring to a particular episode in the original Tartakovsky CW series. Anakin receives the scar above his eye in one of the earlier episodes in the second season of those cartoons. But I'm not actually sure what "DoR" is, exactly. I had assumed it was an episode name, but I don't think they were actually given individual names now that I think about it. (?)

20. Jango_Fettish

Jango_Fettish Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 17, 2002
    He was referring to Republic #71 - The Dreadnaughts of Rendili, the comic in which Anakin gets his scar from Ventress.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The moment in question:

[image=http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/f/f0/Anakin_maimed.jpg]

22. OnlyaClone

OnlyaClone Jedi Youngling

Apr 23, 2008
    This series will be night and day when compared to Gennedy. George already said somewhere that the 2D thing was "a test subject" or a practice run or something. The whole thing was probably really about selling the Cartoon Network toys or getting kids to watch cartoon network. And I think that's okay, even though it felt like a toy commercial. It was all action and very little substance, just like Samurai Jack, which I liked for what it was.

Candy. Not a meal.

Here's the primary reason why I think anything that happened in the 2D series is simply not worth the time and importance the continuity buffs are putting on it.

George had nothing to do with it at creation.

George Lucas created Star Wars and he's doing it the way it should be done... NOW. Gennedy says somewhere he made Star Wars 2.3 or something, but how is that possible without George Lucas' involvement? Saying the Genndy thing counts it like saying, well... really good fan fiction should count too. Even though it was on tv and it got all sorts of awards, who cares... George Lucas didn't create it. That means it doesn't count in the George Lucas canon, so it is the expanded universe.

The new Clone Wars CG series is true Star Wars because George Lucas is creating it.... not just approving it after the fact.

23. AhsokaMiro

AhsokaMiro Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2008
    To me there's something about the feel of it... I mean, you can't really measure Lucas's involvement, but the CG series is created by Lucasfilm, and the GT series wasn't. Nothing against the GT shows-- I haven't seen many of them-- but this new show seems to have more heft to it. A feature-length narrative was beyond the scope of the 2-D show.

Weren't there continuity clashes between the GT show and some EU novels anyhow?

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Mostly only in terms of overlapping events adapting the same moments.

Lucas provided the backstory to ROTS to the EU authors and GT, that outline was then used to write the Labyrinth of Evil novel (which is pretty good, BTW- does an excellent job of bringing the PT together and even making TPM feel relevant to the other two movies, though the resolution to the hunt for Sidious set up in it kinda has a weak payoff in ROTS).

While the novel was still in development, GT got the go-ahead to make Volume 2 of Clone Wars, and was given access to the same outline. And though there was a degree of collaboration done between the two projects, due to the production timeframes involved with each medium, some discrepancies & changes occured between the two, or, in the case of, say, the scene in Palpatine's office, the cartoon was adapting the "true" events of LOE into a more simplistic manner consistent with the style of the cartoon (so, for example, the various aides and other politicians present with Palpatine, as well as another Jedi or two, were not present in the cartoon's version of events). You also had Lucas providing input on LOE's story (via Luceno's collaboration with Stover via the ROTS novelization), which further changed things.

These differences couldn't be fixed since the deadline of ROTS's release limited their options. But it's not that major and, IMO, is often blown out of proportion- it's not much different than other mediums taking liberties with an original source (for example, the tall Noghri in the comics adaptation of the Thrawn Trilogy) for the purposes of adaptation. The only added confusion here is each medium contributing original content/scenes/sequences in between the moments of adapted overlap.

So, technically, Lucas was involved with it at creation, just not as directly as he's been involved with CW3D (though, as I udnerstand it, he wasn't really involved with CW3D at it's creation,e ither- he came in after the fact).

I do think it's a bit misleading to say Lucas is "creating" CW3D too- he's not planning, writing or directing the series. It seems like he's more of a creative & editorial consultant, with a dash of executive producer approval thrown in for flavor ;). Which I think is greta actually- I think it plays to Lucas's strengths tremendously. I think it'll result in some quality stuff.

25. Berkyjay

Berkyjay Jedi Youngling

May 25, 2007

100% agree with you on that one, thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.