1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events: Supanova: Brisbane (11th-13th November), Adelaide (18th-20th June)

Oz Comic Con: Sydney (10th-11th September), Brisbane (17th-18th September)

FF:WA Upcoming Films

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by SoulKrusher, May 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Daniel Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    It was long, drawn out, confusing and quite boring at times.
  2. Aztek Jedi Master

star 4
    If you think it was long and drawn out you could be in for a nasty surprise, from what I understand 3 hours is going to be commonplace in the next generation of films.

As for confusing and boring, I don't think it's the filmmakers fault if not everyone can work out what is going on. Perhaps another viewing is in order for those people that did not catch on, I know a second viewing cleared a lot more up for me.
  3. soneil Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I followed what was going on. I just thought it wasn't that great. Good but not great. I thought there was far too much emphasis on the fight scenes and not enough actual story telling. It got to the point where I was thinking "ho-hum, another fight scene, here we go again." The fight scenes in the first one were awesome and they were few enough to be a real treat. In the second one they seemed to occupy half the movie and some of them went on for a very long time. You can have too much of a good thing.
    To be honest, I enjoyed Final Flight of the Osiris more than I enjoyed Reloaded.
  4. Jedi Daniel Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I love 3 hour movies. Some of my favourite movies go for around that or longer. It's just that some of the scenes in Matrix Reloaded needed to be trimmed down. As Soneil said, the fight scenes wen't on for far too long and that orgy scene, what a waste of time that was.
  5. soneil Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I ag about the orgy scene as well but I didn't mention it since some people seem to really like the sybmbolism as showing a stark contrast to what they were facing. I think they went just a tad overboard there too though.
  6. Aztek Jedi Master

star 4
    I thought the orgy scene may have been slightly too long, but not by much.

I just watched it again, I don't think it was drawn out at all, I was actually amazed at how fast the time went.
  7. soneil Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I'll have to watch it again now that it's out on DVD. One thing I did particularly like was those twin AIs.
  8. Jedi Daniel Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Looks like another Rocky movie could be in the works soon. Haven't there been enough already?

Effects shots, cast confirmation and interviews with special effects artists, directors and composers from Starship Troopers 2 have been posted on the site StarshipTroopers2.net. It's looking quite good.
  9. Jedi Daniel Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Looks like the popular PC Game, Dungeon Siege will be turned into a movie now - Click Here For Story.
  10. Saintheart Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Oh, Christ -- Dungeons and Dragons 2. :(
  11. BecJedi Jedi Youngling

star 3
    They are going a bit 'video game happy' with movies lately, aren't they? I guess they make a lot of money, so Hollywood isn't going to stop now.

I'm looking forward to 'The School of Rock' with Jack Black. Am in need of a big dose of comedy. "I've got a hang-over, can anyone tell me what a 'handover' is?" "It means you're drunk?" "No, it means I was drunk yesterday ." [face_laugh] Okay, so it's funny coming from Jack Black and a poor naive little kid.
  12. Saintheart Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Let me say right now there were moments in Mortal Kombat that were actually funny. Most notably any line that Christopher Lambert delivered as Raiden.

After all, who else has made a career out of playing lightning-spewing immortals?
  13. soneil Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I have to agree that he was a redeeming feature for that movie. Can't think of too many others though.
    My award for worst film adaptation of a video game would have to go to Wing Commander. Sad when a computer game has far superior storylines and acting than a big budget special effects laden film.
  14. Kartanym Jedi Knight

star 6
    Nope, I have to disagree with you there. The Street Fighter, Mario Bros. and Double Dragon movies are far worse then Wing Commander.

Two game to movie renditions coming soon that look promising include House of the Dead (which came out a while ago in the US, and it doesn't sound too bad for a horror movie) and the upcoming sequel to Resident Evil, which I think will be the first movie that will stick as close to the games story then anything previously made (at least in terms of how it unfolds).
  15. Saintheart Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Now that you mention it, "Resident Evil" to my thinking comes close to the best movie made from a game, if for no other reason than it abandoning the typical Hollywood style and turning into something resembling (at times) a European arthouse film.

...Okay, I admit Milla Jovovich is the real reason I watched it. Can't get enough of redheads, I'm sorry to say. :D
  16. Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Youngling

star 6
    correction:
    Redheads with no **** ;) LOL
  17. soneil Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I never saw street fighter or double dragon, a good thing no dobt. I agree that mario brothers was pretty bad but it was always pitched as more of a kids movie. It wasn't supposed to be serious like Wing Commander. Both bad I guess.
    Now I think about it, I quite like Final Fantasy. I never played any of the games but I've heard it didn't really follow the games anyway.
  18. Stinky_jawa Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Not really an upcoming film. Went and saw Alien tonight.. Great film, loved it. If I had to say how much extra footage was in there.. hmm, maybe 5-10mins? I'd say one scene that I am pretty sure that wasnt in the original, but I dont want to spoil it for anyone... And I could be wrong, it has been a long time since I saw the original, perhaps I just dont remember the scene..

Still, if you liked the film in the first place and dont mind the laughs at the little plastic alien running across the table.. then I would recommend it. :)
  19. Jedi Daniel Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I will be seeing ALIEN again since I never had a chance to see it in cinemas the first time ;)
  20. soneil Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I have the original DVD box set which had several deleted scenes. Can anyone tell me if they're the same ones that have been added back in or are there more? The directors cut of Aliens was certainly a lot better than the original in my opinion so I hope this one would be just as good.
  21. Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Youngling

star 6
    This new Troy movie looks pretty cool. What does everyone think?
  22. Jedi Daniel Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I saw the trailer to TROY when going to see ROTK and it looks quite good. Loved that shot of that huge fleet of ships.

By the way, did anyone see Alien: Director's Cut at the cinemas lately because it must of missed my cinema :(
  23. Kartanym Jedi Knight

star 6
    You can either pick up the boxed set, or KMart and a few others are selling the four movies by themselves (in 2 disk editions, including the two versions of the movie, original cut and extended edition). While I can't afford the boxed set just yet, I can at least pick up my fav of the bunch, Aliens (aka Alien 2).
  24. Jedi Daniel Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Ok I'll add it to my list.
  25. Aztek Jedi Master

star 4
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.