main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Upcoming Kathy Tyers Truce At Bakura 20th Anniversary Interview. Any questions?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by IG_2000, Nov 22, 2014.

1. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    My Bantam-era retrospective interviews continue with Kathy Tyers, author of 1994's Truce at Bakura, New Jedi Order: Balance Point, and The Tale of Bossk from Tales of the Bounty Hunters. I know Dave Wolverton and Tyers aren't real big names like Kevin J Anderson or James Luceno, but any questions you'd like me to incorporate?

EDIT: Now I'm kind of confused whether it's a 1993 or 1994 novel, considering Wookieepedia and Wiki say two separate things. Whatever. "Truce At Bakura Is Old Enough To Drink" interview

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Barriss_Coffee and IG_2000 like this.
  3. Bly

Bly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 28, 2005
    I was always curious as to what happened to Chenlambec after Tinian I'att and Daye got back together. Does he still work with her or did they go their separate ways?

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  4. Evil Incarnate

Evil Incarnate Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 18, 2003
    I'm curious as to what inspired the Ssi-ruuk culture, and how she feels about the way they were handled at the end of The New Jedi Order.

Evil.

5. Trisdin Gheer

Trisdin Gheer Jedi Master star 2

Jun 18, 2013
    I love the hell out of Truce at Bakura.

Wait, that's not a question.

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    This is really a two-part question: did she have any particular inspiration or thoughts behind the colonial settlement of Bakura and the co-opting of local elites into the Imperial system by having them educated at Coruscant, e.g. Gaeriel? The second part of this question would be to ask her if she's familiar with the Rebels TV show, as the setting of the show strongly reminds one of Truce at Bakura: a Rim world colonized by the Empire for use of its local industry, with local leaders Imperialized by schooling in the Core.

There's not so much a Nereus figure though, nor the sense of a local government being suppressed (and having dissent placated) as there was with the assembly on Bakura.

Iron_lord likes this.
  7. ThreadSketch

ThreadSketch Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2013
    I'd love to know if there was any real-life inspiration for Eppie Belden. I heart that lady with a thousand fuzzy, sharp-toothed bunnies. :D

Jedi Ben and Iron_lord like this.
  8. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I'm curious about how she feels about the New Jedi Order in general - specifically, the way in which the Yuuzhan Vong draw from a whole lot of the same broad antagonist archetype as the Ssi-ruuk do.

Iron_lord likes this.
  9. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Ok, I've got to ask. How the heck do you manage to interview all these authors? First Anderson, then Wolverton and now Tyers? This is extremely impressive. IG_2000

TKT, Gamiel, Riv_Shiel and 5 others like this.
  10. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I'd like to know the story behind Mara getting a child - how was it decided?

11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Oh, I can tell you the answer to that one. ;)

It happened in Balance Point thanks to the good old Lit forum. We lobbied for it, and Tyers basically said we were the reason that Ben was born as early in the series as he was. But I'll be happy if she says so again, because it's cool that we have that kind of influence :p

12. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    have or have had? ;)

Ender Sai likes this.
  13. First Of My Name

First Of My Name Jedi Master star 1

Apr 28, 2014
    I'm loving these interviews IG-2000, thanks for arranging this.

Would you return to Star Wars if asked? If so, what would you like to write about the most?

Are we allowed more than one question? If so, I'd like to know how she feels about Gaeriel's appearance in the Corellian Trilogy. Was she glad to see her character used again, and what are her feelings about Gaeriel's death?

14. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I don't have any questions this time around, but add me to the bunch who'd love to see her come back! Even if just for a short story. She always had so many zany ideas.

15. IG_2000

Aug 5, 2008

"do you want to do an interview?

"yes"

The real challenge is gonna be tracking down Vonda McInyre for the epic Crystal Star retrospective

On another note, depending on how many authors I get to interview, I thought of doing my first ever eBook which would be a 40-60 page "oral history of bantam era star wars", like the reader's companion but focused on quotes directly from the authors. I

TKT, Mazzic, Barriss_Coffee and 3 others like this.
  16. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    She declined to be interviewed for Voyages of Imagination, the brick of a book about Star Trek fiction, so good luck. Unless you were joking. It's hard to tell when talking about The Crystal Star...

kubricklynch likes this.
  17. Bly

Bly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 28, 2005
    If you're taking requests, I'd love to see an interview with K-Mac. I always felt like we know way less about the behind the scenes elements of the BFC than we do other series.

Oh, and another Tinian/Daye/Chenlambec story would be amazing. With possible Flirt/X-10D cameo just to round things out. :p

TKT, Dr. Steve Brule and Iron_lord like this.
  18. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I would love to see this if you ever get around to doing it.

I also echo the call to interview Michael Kube McDowell. Lots of things I'd like to ask him.

19. IG_2000

Aug 5, 2008

See, I plan on finishing up majority of Bantam Era by Christmas. Currently on I, Jedi (just finished JAT) and I'm gonna try to work my way towards the Hand of Thrawn novels around New Years so I can just blow through the New Jedi Order next year before The Force Awakens comes out. Therefor I can conceivably try to interview every Bantam author I can between now and New Year's.

Hope I get Zahn. I'd do that around the time I read the Hand of Thrawn books.

TKT likes this.
  20. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Pity you can't interview AC Crispin or Aaron Allston.

TKT likes this.
  21. IG_2000

Aug 5, 2008

Yub yub, commander

@};-

EDIT: Just sent out first batch of interview questions for Kathy. She requested two separate emails. I phone interviewed the other guys.

TKT and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  22. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I honestly want to know what possessed him to come up with that and how he came up with that whole sub-plot running gag. Best running gag in SW imo.

TKT and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  23. Thuro

Thuro Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2013
    Could you ask her if she had plans for the Ssi-Ruuk to become a major race in the Star Wars universe somewhere down the line. They were an interesting race that captured some of the strangeness that you noticed the first time we went into Mos Eisley in Episode IV.

24. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    I just want to second the "anything that inspired you in creating the Ssi-ruuk?" question. Especially, were there any inspirations from real life (the way the Yuuzhan Vong are supposed to have been partly modeled on Aztecs) or other science fiction franchises (especially, where did "entechment" come from? When I first read it I thought it had some vibes of the Borg - the alien invaders who didn't want your technology or your worlds, they wanted you, at the most basic level possible)?

Also, when they wrote the Ssi-ruuk again into the New Jedi Order, did the authors ask for her input? Did she have any influence over what the NJO ultimately did with them?

And lastly - why velociraptors? Not that I mind, at all. Just - where'd that come from?

Force Smuggler and Iron_lord like this.
  25. IG_2000

Aug 5, 2008
    I can always bust out a Ouija board to interview Aaron.

I can see it now... after a few minutes of agonizing mystery as to what the board spells out...

Y-U-B-Y-U-B-I-G-2-0-0-0