main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Upcoming Meets and Events

Discussion in 'Archive: Boston, MA' started by Sebulba2179, Mar 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sebulba2179

Sebulba2179 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    Our brand-spankin'-new thread for meet ideas. :D I've got a list going after yesterday's Boston rumble: some things that we haven't yet done, and some things that we've only done once, before a lot of our current members came on. If nobody else is opposed to repeating a previous venue, neither am I. ;)

So I'd like to hear your thoughts and ideas on what you'd like to do as a group, and I'll try and figure out how to pull it together factoring money, distance/transportation, time of year, etc. Also, if you hear of any cons in the area, don't hesitate to drop a line here! :D

2. Jedi_Outcast77

Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 10, 2003
    I don't know if this has been done in the past (or at least suggested), but what about a Sox game? Tickets in the Upper Bleachers are only $12 and if we were to get a group of 20 or more people to go then we could qualify for the group rate and get Bleacher seats for $13! Throw in a pre-game lunch somewhere to avoid paying $6.50 for a beer or $5.75 for a Coke, and it could be a really fun day without spending too much money.

3. Darth Dowe

Darth Dowe Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 1999
    I like that Sox game idea. :)

Error: Only 1 message post per minute is allowed.

4. Jedi_Hood

Jedi_Hood Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 10, 2000
    I like the idea of a Sox game too, but it's a bit pricey for me - even the $12 tickets.

...and if we were to get a group of 20 or more people to go then we could qualify for the group rate and get Bleacher seats for $13!

I don't think there's 20 of us, unfortunately.

5. starwarschick14

starwarschick14 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 19, 2002
    I also think a Sox game is a great idea. $12 isn't bad at all - going to see a movie costs about the same. With a cheap lunch it would be around $20 for the day. $20 is a lot of money for a student like myself, but I plan ahead for meets every month so I'm able to go.

6. Jedi_Hood

Feb 10, 2000
    Maybe by the time the season kicks off, my financial situation will have improved somewhat.

7. DarthLucanas

DarthLucanas Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 22, 2003
    Yeah those greedy Sox owners charge way too much for a ticket to a game.

I remember when I was in high school you could go to a Sox game for 5 bucks in the bleachers and grandstand were 9 bucks and....wow that was a long time ago I guess. :eek:

I know I have suggested this before somewhere else but how about a picnic in Boston Common.
    Play a little wiffle ball, frisbee, or some football.
    Maybe we could set up a volley ball net. [face_devil]

It's a very low cost meet and it should be fun.

I also like the idea of maybe going to an amusement park we could probably get a decent group rate perhaps.

8. Jedi_Hood

Feb 10, 2000
    I know I have suggested this before somewhere else but how about a picnic in Boston Common.
    Play a little wiffle ball, frisbee, or some football.

Sounds like fun......

9. Sebulba2179

Feb 5, 2002
    I've never been to a Red Sox game, so that does make for a cool idea! :D Just depends on time of day, if the game ends in the middle of the night and I have to find some affordable lodging.

Here's another idea I had for later in the year: I doubt many people are going to be around on July 4, but I wondered if some of us might want to get together and watch the Constitution being turned around in the harbour. Take it or leave it, but I think that would be a sight to remember. :D

10. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    I saw the USS Constitution during one of the Tall Ships sailings a few years back and it was something to see. Not only is that ship over 300 years old, but it was banged up and bruised so many times during it's service in the Navy that even with it's repairs it's a wonder that the thing still floats.

11. Sebulba2179

Feb 5, 2002
    Actually, the Constitution is 207 years old (it was launched in 1797). ;) Since it's still a commissioned warship, the U.S. Navy is responsible for keeping it in good repair. They do a bloody good job as it's one of our historical treasures - that's why I think it would be an extra-special event to watch its turnaround some time.

12. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    Actually, the Constitution is 207 years old

Thanks. Sometimes I forget that even though we are now in the 21st century it's only 2004 and when I try to do the math in my head I always overshoot the end result [face_blush].

13. Darth Dowe

Oct 23, 1999
    A cool meet idea that I think we talked about would be to see the Constitution / WWII battleship, and then the Bunker Hill Memorial (on Breed Hill). :)

14. DarthMoby

DarthMoby Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    Dude,

Only someone not from around here would state that Bunker Hill is not on Bunker Hill. Story killer!

15. Sebulba2179

Feb 5, 2002
    LOL! Yay for history snuff. :p

Weeeeeell, July 4 is a Sunday this year, so if we wanted to have a double-meet month...just a thought.

16. Jedi_Hood

Feb 10, 2000
    A cool meet idea that I think we talked about would be to see the Constitution / WWII battleship

Are you thinking of the USS Massachusetts? That's in Fall River - bit of a ways away from Boston.

17. Darth Dowe

Oct 23, 1999
    No, it's the USS Cassin Young :)

EDIT: Here's a map of the area. The MBTA runs a water shuttle (used to cost $1.25, not sure of the price now) directly to the Navy Yard. It leaves from the Aquarium.

[image=http://www.nps.gov/bost/Images/yard%20map.JPG]

18. Sebulba2179

Feb 5, 2002
    *turns on the fan to clear away the smoke* To Rob you listen! :p Massachusetts is a battleship, Cassin Young is a destroyer. Not being anal, just clarifying, that's all. ;)

If there's anyone who doesn't care for water travel, the closest T stop is Community College on the Orange Line, a few blocks distant.

19. Mandalorian_Warrior

Mandalorian_Warrior Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 19, 2002
    That sounds cool, and the Red Sox meet idea would definetly be possible, we'd just have to look into it in advance.

20. Jedi_Hood

Feb 10, 2000
    To Rob you listen! Massachusetts is a battleship, Cassin Young is a destroyer.

Thank you, Chris.

21. starwarschick14

starwarschick14 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 19, 2002
    Something I brought up in the election thread was the idea of getting involved in some community service as a group. We could do this as a meet or as a separate event. Does anyone have any specific ideas or comments about this?

22. Sebulba2179

Feb 5, 2002
    Well, where in Boston does one go to find out specific details about such things?

23. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    Get in touch with a local Boys & Girls club or YMCA (for example) and ask about their volunteer programs. Mention the Boston Rebels as a group who would like to do something for the organization by donating time to help with some of the activities that go on during the day.

24. Sebulba2179

Feb 5, 2002
    As you have no doubt seen in the Random Thread, now that the N-1 fighter is on display at the Museum of Science, I say that's a touchdown meet. ;) Aside from which, we've got a while to do it - it'll be on display until the main exhibit opens next year.

25. Dex1138

Dex1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 1999
    The Boys Club was also the organization selling the advance screening tix to AOTC :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.