1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events: Supanova: Adelaide (20th-22nd November), Brisbane (27th-29th November)

Oz Comic Con: Brisbane (19th-20th September), Sydney (26th-27th September)

FF:QLD Upcoming movies

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Nyder, Feb 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigBossNass1138 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    GFIUWEBFIWEUBFIWUBWIUBFIWJEJ!!!!!!

Going Postal is one of my top 5 Discworld books and it's PERFECT for an adaptation! I still say Men At Arms would be better, but dammit, I just want to see a gritty cop show starring Sam Vimes. Holy crap, I'm so excited now.
  2. Magnus_Darcrider Jedi Master

star 4
    There's a Discworld Monthly Newsletter?? Why am I not subscribed to it yet???

Oh wait, maybe it's cos I haven't read Going Postal yet :oops:

I know, I know. Once again I draw your attention to the +60 backlog that's currently acting as the flooring of my bedroom.

Oooh, does Audible have the unabridged talking books by Isis of the Discworld novels? That might be something to check out.

Regardless, great news. I'm still trying to work out how I forgot about The Colour of Magic adaptation...what was I doing last April? Anyway, if they can crank out a miniseries once every two years or so, I'll be thrilled.

EDIT: Final Kingdom of the Crystal Skull poster!

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider
  3. morgan-aleghieri Jedi Master

star 4
    There's a Discworld Monthly Newsletter?? Why am I not subscribed to it yet???

I'm afraid I have to echo this - where do I sign up to this newsletter? The Discworld LJ hasn't been as eager to divulge information as it used to be.

but if anyone wants a copy of the graphic novel Watchmen to peruse before the film comes out, let me know

*waves hand around vaguely* Yes please, send the book my way. Actually that reminds me, you still have my copy of FMA right?

And sure, the film may suck, but it's got Christina Ricci in 60s inspired fashions and go-go boots. That's my price of admission right there

Even I'd agree with that. Can't wait for the movie. Looks damn shiny, literally and figuratively speaking.

The Mob will be following their Colour of Magic miniseries with an adaptation of... Going Postal!

Oh yay! :) I really liked the half of Going Postal that I read, I imagine I'll like the rest of it just as much (Also backlogged - really have to stop picking up new books in the middle of reading other books).

What was I doing last April?

God only knows.
  4. Dave_Smogcrawler Jedi Master

star 4
    Don't know about you guys but I am looking forward to see Ironman and Narnia: Prince Caspian.
  5. BigBossNass1138 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Magnus: Audible does have a large number of Discworld books. Most are abridged, but the number of unabridged ones seems to be growing rapidly. If possible, get the ones read by Stephen Briggs, he's very good.
  6. HappyBob Jedi Master

star 4
    http://www.discworldmonthly.co.uk/
  7. morgan-aleghieri Jedi Master

star 4
  8. BigBossNass1138 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I typed up a post about this earlier, but I must have somehow forgotten to hit submit. :confused:

Anyway: The New Wall-E trailer. This movie is looking just magical. Everything I've read about it has excited me more and more. It sounds very very different to Pixar's previous films, with the minimal dialogue and grand storyline, and frankly, it's really looking like it's got the potential to be something very special indeed. I really really cannot wait to see this.
  9. Magnus_Darcrider Jedi Master

star 4
    You're not the only one. I hit "post reply" and the board crapped out on me.

This does look great. I dare say almost magical in some shots.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider
  10. morgan-aleghieri Jedi Master

star 4
    To quote Penny Arcade:

"What is this feeling? I'm tingling inside."
    "I don't know, Joy maybe?"
    "...It burns us!"

Wall-E looks freakin' gorgeous. Previous trailers have reduced me to a puddle of simpering goop, and this one is no different. *blubbers* Yeah, I can't wait.
  11. morgan-aleghieri Jedi Master

star 4
    Horton hears a Who coming soon to Dendy.

Never heard of it before, looks interesting. Might be worth seeing? Anywho, back to the Dendy-mail...
  12. Magnus_Darcrider Jedi Master

star 4
    Ya gotta be kidding me...Lost Boys 2 Trailer??

Corey Feldman's making movies again. Isn't that a Sign of the Apocalypse?

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider
  13. HappyBob Jedi Master

star 4
    Both items have been reported before, but now it's all but confirmed : David Yates is returning to direct Harry Potter 7, and it will be split into two films (November 2010, May 2011).

I have no problem with it being split in half. When Chris Columbus proposed doing this for Goblet of Fire it struck me as lazy adaptation, but with a little restructuring, the final book has more than enough oomph to work in two parts.

I would, however, have liked to see a new director. Nothing against Yates - I liked the style of Order of the Phoenix (plus the more ruthless adaptation method that polarised fans had far more to do with it being the only screenplay in the series not by Steve Kloves). I've just enjoyed seeing different directors at the helm.

Hypocritically, I was also hoping Alfonso Cuarón would get another go (or failing that, Guillermo del Toro, another perfectly suited Mexican).
  14. BigBossNass1138 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Personally, I'm very happy indeed about Yates coming back. I really really liked his style in OotP, and I think it's great that he's locked in and hence will keep a coherent feel and (GASP!) continuity to the final films of the series. As interesting as its been to see the stylistic differences with the shuffling-about of the director's chair, it's really detracted from the series in the sense that it just doesn't hang together. Compare that to the consistent direction and art style of something like Lord of the Rings and it makes the whole thing look a little bit haphazard. Which isn't to say I didn't like the directors in question, I absolutely did, but now that we're hitting the end where everything comes together so tightly, having more changes will just disrupt things. And this will make Half-Blood Prince and the Deathly Hallows duo a 3-part film, essentially, which is what it should be. Book 6 leads so directly into book 7 that they shouldn't be separate at all.

I just wish Michael Goldenberg was coming back to write. I've never been a huge fan of Steve Kloves's adaptations, and although #4 was much better in terms of characterisation and whatnot, Goldenberg just nailed Phoenix. Still, we'll see.

As for splitting the last film, it doesn't bother me greatly either way, to be perfectly honest, but I think it'll work as long as they can find a logical place to make the split, and they bring them out with only a short gap in between. Word is that they'll be filming simultaneously like the 2 Matrix sequels, so hopefully we can expect the same sort of six month gap Warner Brothers put between those 2 films.
  15. BigBossNass1138 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Here's another new Speed Racer trailer, but this one's the best one yet (high def links are tucked away just below the streaming window, and trust me, the high def is gorgeous, check it out). I am really loving the look of this movie more and more. I've been thinking for a long time that I want to see video shot with the look of High Dynamic Range photography, which is all the rage just now and provides a colour-drenched, hyper-real look which I personally can't get enough of. And Speed Racer is nailing it. It looks like a cartoon brought to life, at least in terms of its colour palate and the way everything's composed. It's very Wachowski. Now, I'll admit upfront that I've never seen the cartoon in my life and know literally nothing about it, but I really want to see this movie, just so I can drown my eyeballs in... that.
  16. General Cargin Force Ghost

star 4
    As a contrast Tim, I do remember the Speed Racer cartoons fondly, and the look of the film is nailing the spirit of what I remember perfectly. This is one set of childhood memories that are NOT going to be raped by anyone. I'm looking forward to Speed Racer with a quiet enthusiasm I haven't felt since I heard George Lucas was making new Star Wars films. I'm not going out to line up in costume for this film, but I will go and see it on the big screen, and it's been a long time since I was excited about seeing a film at the cinema.
  17. morgan-aleghieri Jedi Master

star 4
    The TRC kids will love this (or so I assume).

I was looking up The Colour of Magic on IMDb (as one does), and apparently Tim Curry is playing the wizard Trymon. Possibly one of the one bits of casting (asides from Christopher Lee as the voice of Death) that is working for me this time around.

On that note, do we know when The Colour of Magic is meant to be broadcast? Sometime this weekend, isn't it?
  18. Kahlan72 Jedi Master

star 4
    Well if it's shown and acquired before Sunday night, can't think of a better thing to be watching. :)

Also probably taking the munchk to see Horton Hears a Who sometime in the next week or so if anyone wants to tag along.
  19. kahli Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Sing Blue Silver

Next friday @ the globe with 80's party to follow. For anyone who doesn't know, this is the doco movie following Duran Duran on their 83/84 world tour. A must for anyone who ever owned any flouro clothing, or may have at one stage glimpsed the clip to the song 'Rio'.

But oddly, it is being presented by some goth organisation...
  20. Magnus_Darcrider Jedi Master

star 4
    But oddly, it is being presented by some goth organisation...

Well the Goth Movement and the New Romantic Wave of the 1980s do have a lot in common...:p

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider
  21. GoobaFish Jedi Master

star 4
    The full Wall.E Trailer.

Even grown up men will gush "awwww.....so cute!"
    [face_worried]
  22. GoobaFish Jedi Master

star 4
    Oi, Cargs:
    Defiance.

I gotta say, it looks stunning. Scenery, cinemetography et al.
  23. Magnus_Darcrider Jedi Master

star 4
    Looks great; it's done by Ed Zwick, he's proven time and again that he knows how to shoot a war film.

Something to look forward to this year.

Also, apparently there's an X-Files 2 trailer floating around out there in the tubes. I haven't caught it yet, but if someone else does, post it up.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider
  24. HappyBob Jedi Master

star 4
    FOUND IT!
    The dialogue that gets cut off at the end:
    Billy Connolly?s voice: "Do you believe in these kind of things?"
    Mulder?s voice: "Let?s just say I want to believe."

Again, this is very much a teaser, and to be honest, the actual footage isn't that exciting. But for the duration of that music cue, all is right with the world.

There's also a kick-arse poster doing the rounds. It might not help get the broader appeal Chris Carter says they're aiming for, but as a work of design, I absolutely love it.

I was under the impression this movie was set before season nine. Now it turns out it's in the present day, six years after the finale. Fine by me - it means The Truth is no longer the final word.
  25. HappyBob Jedi Master

star 4
    Houston, we have a cover.
    Suddenly, the next Futurama movie is real.

I'd say June couldn't come fast enough, but then people always grumble when time flies like that. Perhaps that's the reason our perception of time changes with age: chronology itself sympathises with pop-culture fans and foolishly grants their "why can't [x] come out now?" wishes.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.