main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:QLD Upcoming movies

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Nyder, Feb 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigBossNass1138

BigBossNass1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    I may be alone, but I actually think McG can pull this off.

Some of the things I've heard have made me cautiously optimistic: the amount of good buzz coming from the set, the great casting, a couple of intruiging hints at the story (Kate Brewster will be in it, for example, and as a fan of the overarching mythos that makes me happy), and just some of the very frank and down-to-earth comments McG (actually screw it, I'm going to call him by his name: Joseph Nichol) has made in interviews and on his personal blog.

Charlie's Angels Full Throtle was brain-hurtingly terrible, but I'm beginning to wonder if this guy has a bit more talent than he's been given credit for.

2. Kahlan72

Kahlan72 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 27, 2000
    Wow I can watch a trailer. Thought I'd read Watchmen, but don't think so now. G, did I read that one?

trailer though, I LOVE a trailer that comes off like an awesomely choreographed piece of music video art. I know that might sound like a negative thing, but the best music videos are an art form of their own.

Why's it take a year to come out when that all seemed very complete??????

3. NeecH

NeecH Jedi Master star 4

Feb 14, 2003
    The Beginning of the End is the Beginning by Smashing Pumpkins - done for the Batman and Robin Soundtrack (the only good thing about the movie).

4. NeecH

NeecH Jedi Master star 4

Feb 14, 2003
    Scratch that... The End of the Beginning is the End.

Damn confusing song titles. :mad:

5. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    Okay, just got to see it.

Wow.

The trailer's gorgeous. I'm still not entirely convinced that the depth and complexity of Watchmen, which depends so completely on the "supplemental materials" included, all the newspaper clippings and sections of people's biographies, can ever be captured in a movie, but hot diggety daffodil they captured the look. Wow. Magnus is right, Doctor Manhattan looks beautiful and perfect, and the Comedian is spot on. Watch the trailer again and spot all the shots that are direct copies of individual frames from the comic.

I'm still not convinced it'll work as an adaptation. But my interest level has just shot way up because I had no idea it was going to look this great.

And Kahlan? I absolutely agree about the artform of the music video. I don't think it's a negative thing at all, and all the best video clips are the best because of their visual styling and how it offsets the music.

6. HappyBob

HappyBob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    Instead of repeating the above praise for the Watchmen trailer, I thought I'd give a polite nod to the Terminator teaser, which does the job - teasing - admirably. It's no Smashing Pumpkins music video, but it's another great use of sound in the format. I love that moment of recognition, when the static bursts take a very familiar rhythm...

In other news, it's less than one week before we get more X-Files. As much as I've tried to keep my expectations low, there's too much potential for something good. At the end of the day, I'm still very much the 14-year-old fan who got giddy about the first film.

7. Kahlan72

Kahlan72 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 27, 2000
    Will totally be there for the XFiles movie, although with much worry about it's possible goodness. God I hate being a cynical old fart. I remember being young enough to be too scared to watch half the episodes on first run tv..and by that I mean 16 or 17..what yhear did it start again?? Ha, that age feels about right.

8. morgan-aleghieri

morgan-aleghieri Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 2006
    Bah, Quicktime page wouldn't load so I had to watch Watchman trailer via the youtubes... Still, it looks pretty excellent. :)

Agreeing with MD - Rorschach's voice doesn't seem quite right - Laurie in the book discribes his voice as a horrible monotone, and that doesn't quite get there. Still, I'm sure it will be awesome regardless.

9. Magnus_Darcrider

Magnus_Darcrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 24, 2005
    Thanks for the song title Neech; I knew it was Smashing Pumpkins, but when they released "The Beginning of the End is the Beginning" as a single the B-Side was "The End of the Beginning is the End", which was a very different and much slower song, yet I always mixed them up.

The trailer complimented with the music is excellent; trailers like music videos can be art if done right, which is why a few talented music video directors went on to make Hollywood movies, for better or for worse. The most artful ones I've seen are Metallica music videos, but those'll give you a permanent stock of nightmares if you're not careful.

I'm surprised they picked a 90s song for a movie set in the 80s though. Still, works.

To be completely fair to Rorschach's voice, having it being heard as a flat, monotone voice wouldn't work in a film capacity. But it's definitely missing something.

I too am cautiously optimistic for the next Terminator film, mostly cos of the things BBN has already said about the director, but also because Christian Bale is very careful about the scripts he chooses. Incidently, news has hit that another younger Austrian body builder has been cast as the venerable T-800 Cyberdyne Systems Model 101, which makes sense.

So I need to get through 9 seasons of the X-Files and the first movie in less than a week? Possible...Better get started then :p

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

10. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    The cool thing is that said bodybuilder in fact played Ah-nuld in a biopic of him that was apparently made several years back. So great casting choice. And yeah, ditto to what HB said about the static sounds in the teaser. It was a shameless wow moment for me when it suddenly became The Drums.

T4's never going to be as good as 1 or 2. But I daresay it's going to be a bit of fun.

11. CCD

CCD Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 1, 2002
    Star Trek posters. Quinto looks amazing, and Bana's villain Nero looks credible and non-camp, surely a first in all of Trek canon. If the movie is half as good as its promotional material... dare I say this could be the Batman Begins of Star trek. Here's hoping.

12. Grieyls

Grieyls Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 2, 2000
    Nope, heck I haven't read that one. Had a quick scan of all my Graphic Novels and Watchmen is not there... Now how the hell did I miss that I wonder? Gonna have to rectify that me thinks. Sacrilege not to have that title.

13. GoobaFish

GoobaFish Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    No Sylar to be seen! That's Spock! Look at the big version of him.

Wow.

14. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    Well yes - I can't say I expected that they'd actually be able to do monotone and do it like it could be in my head, but it needs to be unsettling. Needs to make people uncomfortable.

15. Magnus Darcrider

Magnus Darcrider Jedi Youngling

May 30, 2000
    Yes, definitely missing something.

In other news, The X-Files: I Want to Believe and The Forbidden Kingdom come out this Thursday. I'm torn about which to see first, do does anyone want to decide for me and make it easier (and come along as well)?

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

16. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    I'd pick Forbidden Kingdom, given a choice between those two, but so far as you're concerned it might be a moot point, as I don't believe I'd be able to make it that night. The weekend, though, sure.

17. HappyBob

Mar 7, 2002
    My choice is made for me. I just won a double pass to a Wednesday midnight screening of The X-Files at the Regent, courtesy of the generous modern disc jockeys at Triple M. It's impractical on every level, from timing to transport, and all for the dubious payoff of seeing the film 8 hours early. I'm definitely going.

That still leaves a +Guest role vacant. If anyone here is interested, feel free to get in touch.

18. Magnus Darcrider

May 30, 2000
    This is cos I told you that story about that time I aced an assignment done in 5 hours thanks to Roland Emmerich isn't it? :p

Assuming you don't get a better offer, I'd be up for it. I could also offer recompense in the form of transport.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

19. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
  20. Magnus Darcrider

May 30, 2000
    Excellent news; Synder continues to show that he gets it.

However, I should mention despite the statute of limitations having expired on spoilers for Watchmen, there is a huge spoiler in that article.

But since it comes from the director, he obviously thinks you should have read the damn comic already anyway :p

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

21. NeecH

NeecH Jedi Master star 4

Feb 14, 2003
    TR2N (or TRON 2 for those who can't read the illiterate string of letters and numbers that form 1337 speak).

Flynn is back and it looks as though they're going with the Apocalypse Now approach to the sequel rumored a few years back.

22. Magnus Darcrider

May 30, 2000
    I don't think I need to express how excited I am about this news.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

23. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    Some kind soul has made available a bootleg version of the Tron 2 (I refuse to use that other awful title) teaser. The quality is horrible, but holy cripes on toast it looks cool. I can only imagine how Tron done with modern VFX technology would look.

24. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    Holy hell that hurts to watch. [face_hypnotized] That aside though, COOL! :D

25. HappyBob

Mar 7, 2002
    Botleg or not, that Trtwoon clip is amazing. From what I could make out, they've nailed the visual upgrade, but the best part of these things is always the crowd reaction. It's so easy to share their excitement.

I love the stages of realisation:
    1. The suit
    2. THE BIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
    3. Jeff Bridges

It's remarkable that they've kept this under wraps for so long. To go from vague whispers to this. What a debut.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.