main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:NZ Upcoming Music gigs

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by SithForceLord, Nov 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YouAgain

YouAgain Jedi Master star 5

Dec 20, 2001
    So how was big day out, everyone I've talked to has said it was not as good as recent years!

2. grievious

grievious Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 27, 2005
    Heej, I went to the Kaiser Chiefs on March 1st, and it was amazing...I have no Idea if they come to New Zealand, but i tell you, Get a ticket, and do it ASAP. They rock! If you have never heard of them, buy the CD, thrust me, it''won't bore a minute

3. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    Last 10 concerts in the 06 Vertigo World Tour for U2 have been postponed due to an immediate family member, of one of the band memeber's, becoming very ill.

Dates for concerts will be announced as soon as they can.

:(

4. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    and in other news...

Kai, are you still around brother?

I'm not sure if you know the ad (either do or don't). The one with all the bouncy balls going down the streets, in like san fransisco. The music in that ad is phenominal... anyway, I've been listening to George FM again lately and they've been playing this amped up version of that same song.

The "ounce ounce" house beats version is pretty cool, but the original is amazing. I did a search on Amazon.com for 'Jose Gonzales' and his album was found. The song is called "heatbeats" - you can get free samples from each song on the album... anyway this is from the amazon page:

Product Description
    All Music Guide calls it: "A striking collection of hushed and autumnal indie pop bedroom songs that reside on the hi-fi end of the lo-fi spectrum." Veneer is the debut album by Swedish-born minstrel José González?already a certified quiet-is-the-new-loud legend in his native Sweden. Who needs bells and whistles (outside of a forlorn trumpet and some subliminal percussion) when songs are this strong and the voice is this perfect? When all that you need to hold an audience in blissful rapture is what you can balance on a barstool? Jose?s sensual, sensitive, powerful vocals and supernaturally gifted guitar playing truly recalls artists like Nick Drake, Elliott Smith, Hayden, and Mark Kozelek. He?s earned the accolades by writing incredible songs and staying true to his heart, keeping the songs barebones simple.

And I remember you talking about 'indie', which i really have no idea, what it is. but if you like that, and they call this indie - you'll probably love this album...

I'm thinking about getting it sent from amazon.com

5. Kitt327

Kitt327 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    There's still U2 ticket auctions running on trademe. Hopefully those will get shut down pretty quick ...

6. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    Tickets will still be valid, just change of date... surely.

7. SimplyThrilledHoney

SimplyThrilledHoney Jedi Youngling star 3

May 19, 2002
    SFL ... I bought that Jose Gonzalez album a few weeks back and it's excellent. Totally minimal, but really really great. If you go into Real Groovy, there's also an old Australian tour EP he put out, which has 9 songs, inc. the remix of "Heartbeats", as well as a cover of Joy Division's "Love Will Tear Us Apart" and Kylie Minogue's "Hand On My Heart" and a few other songs not on the album.

Speaking of Swedish folk musicians, if you've got nothing to do on Friday night now U2 have cancelled, shell out $20 and come along to The Odeon Lounge to see Jens Lekman. His 2004 album "When I Said i anted To be Your Dog" is one of the most tender, funny and heartfelt albums I've ever heard. It's going to be an AMAZING show.

8. SimplyThrilledHoney

May 19, 2002
    oh, SFL, I kinda skim-read your post about Jose. But the album is available in pretty much every record store in Auckland. (Or, at least, Groovy, Marbecks and Sounds.)

Get it. It's awesome.

9. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    Excellent, thanks mate. Hey - yea, I could be up for a cold frothy and a gig. We should catch up anyway. I'll see how things go, might see if a certain someone wants to check that gig out too.

I'll pick Jose's album up today! Thanks, beats paying the yanks esp with the 0.65c exchange rate at the moment, and the waiting time for delivery :) I just wasn't sure if we would have his cd in the bottom of the south pacific, and I've never really been into real groovy - must do at some stage. :)

10. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Careful. It's addictive.

You'll cream yourself over the DVDs alone. And the used PC games. And...

11. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    Yea, bit of an eye-opener. Went in with Bridge today and got José Gonzáles / Veneer. Amazing! :D

oh, and STH, the U2 concert I was going to go to was on the Sat night, so the Fri night was always free... but yea, if nothing else happens, could be very keen, and Bridge said she might see me there (lives near by).

12. grievious

grievious Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 27, 2005
    I read about U2, that this was there last gig or somthing? :eek: but i'm not sure... Anyway, I'm going to c the Red Hot chili peppers in June, and the kaiser Chiefs (again) and the Infadels, Tool, Racoon, Anouk, Bloudhount gang, Franz Ferdinand, Nickelback, Nelly futado, the Editors, Keane, Hoverphonics, Pete Murray and a lot of other's... I'm so Exited! [face_dancing] And all in 3 days on Pinkpop festival in the small country called "Holland" :D

13. SimplyThrilledHoney

May 19, 2002
    you're boasting about seeing Nickelback and The Bloodhound Gang? Jeeze ...

(the rest of the lineup sounds good, mind ...)

The U2 thing is a drag ... I seriously doubt that the shows will be rescheduled, mainly because bringing the kind of rig they use is so expensive, and I was under the impression that they would lose money on the NZ leg of the tour anyway and were just doing it "for the fans" and because they were going to be down here anyway. Still, time will tell. I just feel really sorry for the people who spent a fortune on trumped-up tickets on TradeMe. Still, there are some good shows coming up ... Jens Lekman is going to be AWESOME, and Sigur Ros in April will also be great. And I just cashed in my airpoints for a couple of flights to Melbourne in June to see Belle & Sebastian.

14. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    Not to mention flights and accomodation for those u2 fans out of town...

I've heard 'november' will prob be when they will come, and I've heard 'they wont come' (nothing official).

/shrugs/

Yea, I'll be keen for Jens Lekman at the odeon this sat night. THen there's a free gig at Grey Lynn Park with fat freddies and some better bands (according to bridge, i fail to remember their names), and that's from midday on sunday the 19th.

15. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    I'm sure U2 will honour their commitments, though I think they will do more days than just the 10 remaining, whether more in Japan, Aus, NZ or extra dates in the USA (West Coast most likely) to help offset costs of getting the show back on the road again.

They could possibly store the stage equipment here or in Aus for the time being too.

16. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    U2 reschedule NZ tour for November

By Claire Trevett

(NZ Herald)

Irish band U2 will play in New Zealand in November after rescheduling the Australasian leg of their tour.

A spokesman for the band's promoter in New Zealand said last night that an announcement of details of the tour would be made within days.

The U2 Auckland concerts for Friday and Saturday were among 10 postponed last Thursday after an immediate family member of one of the band fell ill.

The band's frontman, Bono, said on Australian television last night that the Vertigo Tour would resume Downunder in November.

Bono was in Sydney for a short break before the scheduled start of the Vertigo Tour Australasian concerts and stayed on following the decision to postpone the 10 concerts in Australia, New Zealand, Japan and Hawaii.

Although there has been no confirmation about which band member could not continue with the tour, the speculation was that the daughter of guitarist The Edge was seriously ill.

"There was a lot of distress and angst and [the] good news is ... I can announce tonight we are coming back, looks like November and that's a great relief for me," Bono said on the ABC show Enough Rope.

New Zealand fans will be on tenterhooks waiting for the decision, as the angst over the postponed concerts continues.

Telecom says U2 song Beautiful Day had been in the top 10 caller tune downloads since the concert was announced, but rather than falling off the chart once the concert was pulled, it was joined by With or Without You.

Meanwhile, another international band, Foreigner, has cancelled the New Zealand leg of its tour as well as part of its Australian tour.

The soft rock group pulled out of its May 25 concert at the Aotea Centre and three Australian shows, to play a concert back in the United States.

The band produced hits including Cold as Ice, and I Want to Know What Love Is.

It is the second time recently that Foreigner have ditched concerts. Last month, they put off a concert in Palm Desert so they could go on the TV show Rock Star.

Refunds can be obtained at Ticketek.

17. SimplyThrilledHoney

May 19, 2002
    so have you got your money back on those Foreigner tixs JP? You must be gutted :)

I'm glad U2 have rescheduled, although it'll be interesting to see the fall out with the ticket refunds etc. I wonder how many people will get the tickets exchanged, and if so, will there be more madness when the ones for the new dates go on sale?

Mark, did I say Sat for Jens Lekman? It's Thursday at the Schooner Tavern and Friday at the Odeon

18. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Actually, I made the newspaper ads for Foreigner. No doubt could have got comps, but always hard to carry enthusiasm for a band / name when the only guy left is the guitarist.

The big curiousity gimmick for Foreigner was Jason Bonham on drums.

Am quite keen for 2 other acts I've made ads for - Simple Minds and Deep Purple, in a nostaligic kind of way...

19. SimplyThrilledHoney

May 19, 2002
    I think Simple Minds would be a good show, esp. if they play their early 80s stuff. Dunno about Deep Purple, but hearing "Smoke On The Water" live would be pretty cool.

20. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    I won the triple cd platinum collection of deep purple off Hauraki a few weeks back :)

Yean Friday night, Odeon Lounge - I'll be keen if you're going /shrug/ I don't know him, his music, or the odeon lounge, and to be fair, I hardly know you. But I'm willing. :)

I'm all for broadening my horizons these days...

Yay for U2, November though? boo. :(

21. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    November better than May-Sept (brrrrrr)

22. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    You Jaffa's are soft [face_talk_hand]

:p

23. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    Just Another Friggin Fantastic* Aucklander?

Learn to spell for best results dude. ;) :D

24. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    Lawrence... I may or may not be able to make friday night now. lol.

Turns out there's some lizard monitoring work that needs to be done, and I can do with extra money, so I'm probably working a full day today doing invertebrate monitoring, then tonight lizard monitoring and probably friday night too... I'll text ya thoguh closer to the time.

//yawn//

Right, off to work :(

25. SimplyThrilledHoney

May 19, 2002
    cool, I'll be there anyway, so I guess I'll see you, or not ...

Have fun with the lizards.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.