main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:NZ Upcoming Music gigs

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by SithForceLord, Nov 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YouAgain

YouAgain Jedi Master star 5

Dec 20, 2001

Hehe thats what I was hoping for! :D

2. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Clapton @ the Mission!

http://www.missionconcert.co.nz/

Now to try and get tickets... [face_plain]

3. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    Link doesn't seem to work, but tickets expected to be $80-$120?

The WBC album release party, kings arms friday 23rd 8pm. Should be good. I think it's $15 on the door or cheaper pre-sale, but they say ticketmaster is running it, but ticketmasters website doesn't find "wbc" or "kings arms gig on the 23rd". Useless.

I've been waiting for their album for years, since I saw them and Stylus77 at the Dux down in chch, they were really awesome and hopefully kings arms should be more of the same. Their album's pretty mint. Ska / Reggae kinda of...

4. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Mission Link's fine (??) GA $98, seated more expensive. On sale tomorrow midday.

5. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    Ahhh are they really on sale tomorrow??

Crap and i have no money but REALLY wanna go:(

6. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    Link *was* taking me somewhere else, working now.

7. SimplyThrilledHoney

SimplyThrilledHoney Jedi Youngling star 3

May 19, 2002
    and let me guess ... it's sold out, and there are 500 on TradeMe with "bought tickets and then I realised I couldn't go" messages. Damn scalpers.

First concert I ever went to was Eric Clapton at the supertop in, I think, 1990 when he was touring "Journeyman". It was a great, sweaty show with lots of balding men with beer guts and ponytails. Played all the hits, inc. what seemed like a 20 minute version of "Layla". Not that interested in him anymore, but I'm sure he'd put on a great show.

8. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Already a few tix on TradeMe, yeah. :mad:

The ticketing site crashed upon going live at midday and was down until about 4pm. I just drove to my local Ticketmaster (Rebel Sport) at 1pm, they turned on their ticket checkout for me and 2 minutes later was walking out the door with 4 tickets in my hand. I noticed after about 4:15pm a sold out sign went up in the ticketing site, so I hope all my mates who I told to go to Rebel Sport or Real Groovy got tickets before the site came back online.

That 1990 one was a great show, Lawrence, and right at the height of my Clapton phase and about 2 days after my final 1st year Uni exam. Good times, good times...

9. SimplyThrilledHoney

May 19, 2002
    glad you got tickets. Is he touring with a full band, or is it a solo acoustic thing? He seems a bit less interested in rocking out these days. Yeah, that1990 Supertop was a great introduction to the world of live gigs.

10. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Full band - his recent setlists have been pretty "rock" with an unplugged-style interlude - and of course he's played 8 or so shows with Cream in the last year, so that may have fired him up a little (Though, amusingly 'Crossroads' is the only Cream song in the current set)

Here's a typical setlist from the current European tour (June 10).

Opening set
    Pretending
    So Tired
    Got To Get Better In A Little While
    Old Love
    Everybody Oughta Make A Change
    Motherless Children

Acoustic set
    Back Home
    I Am Yours
    Nobody Knows You When You're Down And Out
    Running On Faith

3rd set
    After Midnight
    Little Queen of Spades
    Let It Rain
    Wonderful Tonight
    Layla
    Cocaine

Encore
    Crossroads

Something for everyone!

In fact I think I may playlist that set now & see how it sounds...

11. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    itunes geek :p

3rd set looks the goods for a part time EC fan. Though, as I've learnt, even absolutely hideous bands can sound average when live and you're in the mood (re: nickleback //shudders//) and the Rolling Stones / Deep Purple songs I didn't know (ala Hauraki) still kicked arse.

Speaking of which, why doesn't anyone ring hauraki (or any radio station) and say "you play 5% of a bands songs, over and over! How about some of their other stuff?"

12. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    And the first two sets are what have me most interested, some great obscure album tracks, an acoustic set, some blues numbers etc. :D

13. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    This came through on a Clapton mailing list today;

For those Kiwi slowhanders who missed out on the Mission Concert (And
    don't want to buy off the Wa@#&ers on Trademe) According
    to Radio Hauraki this (Thursday) morning there will be an Auckland
    Concert - no other details yet

Interesting considering how heavily the Mission show marketing weighed on the "Only NZ show" tagline, and promotors quoted on saying that the mission date was the only available date for an NZ stopover.

Doesn't really worry me, a road trip is great & the Mission is a beautiful setting, but some people are gonna be annoyed if the story pans out.

14. SimplyThrilledHoney

May 19, 2002
    on a less dad-rock note (sorry JP) just got 2 x tickets for The Strokes at the St. James. They were so amazing when they played the BDO a few years back, so I can't wait.

15. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    Yeah they were a stand out at the 2005 BDO

16. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Yeah, Julian Casablancas harassing the camped out Metallica crowd was the highlight of the day!

17. YouAgain

Dec 20, 2001
    hahaha JP I saw your comment about Claptons gig in the Herald time out... :p

18. Kai_Halicon

Kai_Halicon Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2002
    I'm playing the London Underground Bar opposite Civic Theatre on the 8th of July (Saturday). Check www.myspace.com/thedebutantesnz for more info, and some downloadable tracks.

19. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    What is it with July 8? So many things are happening on that night. lol

20. YouAgain

Dec 20, 2001
    Red Hot Chili Peppers are confirmed to be headliners of the 2007 Big Day Out according to blog's from bassist Michael Balzary aka Flea...

Thats from Wikipedia

it was also in the latest rolling stone magazine!

w00tage!!!

21. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    That might be enough to get me to finally go to a BDO.

I've heard Foo Fighters are coming back near the end of this year. :)

22. YouAgain

Dec 20, 2001

If the Foo Fighters are coming, they should soooooo bring Weezer with them!!!!!!!

23. SimplyThrilledHoney

May 19, 2002
    why, are Weezer their pets?

that being said, I'd so much rather see Weezer than the RHCP (boring) or The Foo Fighters (turgid).

24. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    Chili's boring? Have you heard Stadium Arcadium? It's stunning. In all honesty, it's like a Greatest Hits Album. Almost every song on the first CD could be a radio hit. I think they've really hit their stride with it. And the Foo's, they're a fantastic band.

Yea, why would Foo's bring Weezer? They're more likely to invite Queens of the Stone Age or Me First and the Gimme Gimmes (that would be cool).

25. Kai_Halicon

Kai_Halicon Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2002
    The Foos and Weezer have been touring together on the "Foozer" tour.

The Chillis are fine but I'd rather seem Rivers Cuomo and the lads anyday, the last Weezer gig was here in '96 on the Pinkerton tour, geez, I would of been about 17 then when I went to it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.