Upcoming OFF Activities

Discussion in 'Oregon FanForce' started by crashdown, Sep 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crashdown Force Ghost

star 4
    I was just wondering if we were going to any activities in the future?......Like a really FanForce.

2. Larena_Jade Jedi Master

star 4
    Haha, you know I'm up for it. Vengie, however, will not be making it as he has gone and signed his life away for 5 years of active duty Special Forces...yeah. 8-}:p[face_plain]:_|:oops:

Edit:

So yeah. Anything nerdy or interesting going on in the next few months? If we do something anytime after October 15thish I will be able to travel whatever distance needed(as my funds will be in better standing at that point)

Edit#2: Hey I just googled SW Events in Oregon and our website came up, haha. cool. anyways. [face_whistling]
  3. AramysStrael Force Ghost

star 4
    Eric just posted the book signing...

- Bill
  4. Larena_Jade Jedi Master

star 4
    True true. Though from the looks of it we wont be getting much participation. I'm not that interested but heck I'd show up at Powells that day just because, haha. After all, it IS a book store...and I LOVE book stores. I can't walk into one without buying a book. I love books! [face_dancing]
  5. jawafett Oregon Fanforce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 3
    What kind of "participation" are you guys interested in doing at any events that involves Star Wars?

Examples of Star Wars events locally, or nationally:
    Anything that the local 501st Legion/Rebel Legion costuming groups does for events has something to do with Star Wars through some kind of charity work. Check www.cloudcitygarrison.com for upcoming events.
    The Portland Comic Book show- we could do something there, at least meet up.
    Local libraries that put on Star Wars events (see Albany Library Star Wars event)- We could have members do book readings, collecting seminars...
    EmeraldCON (Seattle, Wa)- we could work with local FanForce members to do something.
    SDComicCon have FanForce volunteers
    ANY Star Wars Celebrations have FanForce volunteers

First as a club, or organization you have to be recognized as belonging to something. Right now, we as OFF members, don't have anything that identifies us as a group. Therefore, we need such identification such as a OFF t-shirt, or some kind of name tag with a lanyard stating that we are Oregon FanForce members. Something that identifies us with Star Wars.

Next, what do we do or can we do at events other than be fans of Star Wars?
    We can ask to help out. Be it with the organizers of the events, with other Star Wars groups at events, or come up with a way where we can be part of the event itself. Have a table with info about group, fliers, a donation collection for a charity (Oregon Food bank, Doernbechers, Shriners, Children's Miracle Network, etc).

Or do we want to stick with a regular activity of just meetings. Having gatherings to discuss the latest Star Wars item, be it a novel, comic book, toys, video games, etc.

Just trying to come up with something to get us motivated as a group. Any thoughts on this matter is greatly appreciated.

-Eric
  6. Larena_Jade Jedi Master

star 4
    I think we need to get those sweet fanforce shirts of ours STAT. ;)[face_praying][face_whistling]
  7. AramysStrael Force Ghost

star 4
    I say start having meetings, or planning sessions to start off with. As Eric pointed out, we really need to define our niche in the community, rather than just some quasi-active group of fans.

Some FanForces have regular activities, like lightsaber classes and the like. Perhaps, we can find a common ground that everyone is on board with and build on that. In the years that I have been with OFF, that seems to have been hang out sessions. Nothing wrong with them, but we should do more.

As was pointed out during that debacle with the last CR and the "colors", one thing that was brought up is that there is a specified charter for FanForces. Let's be honest with ourselves, when have we really buckled down and adhered to it as we should have. We barely skate by. The last thing I want is for some "color" to come to the conclusion that we aren't relevant because we aren't active enough.

I know that life takes priority over other things like fan clubs, such as ours. But not everyone is required to attend every function. I suggest we start small and branch out from there.

A lot of us are costumers, so we have events all the time. This isn't to disuade or discourage those who aren't costumers from participating in other types of events. But it is a means for OFF members to connect. Like I have said in the past, we could always use help at events for spotting duty. But if that isn't your thing, that is perfectly alright. I've often advocated meeting up as a FanForce after a costumed event. Again, another suggestion which has been made to accomodate those OFF members who aren't into the costuming thing.

OFF is what we make of it. And it is clear we really do need to make more of it. It's the lack of activity that holds us back from being as great a FanForce as any other. If we want this group to prosper and grow, then let's get to work and do something on its behalf.

At the very least, let's set up a meeting to get together and chat about the future of our group. I'd suggest doing it soon before weather gets too terribly bad. I would suggest some place more centralized for benefit of all the members, or as many as possible.

- Bill
  8. jawafett Oregon Fanforce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 3
    I would say then a meeting needs to be planned to discuss what we want to do for events, more meetings perhaps bimonthly, trivial pursuit game nite, SW book discussions, whatever we can to stay motivated as a group.

Once we can come up with a definitive OFF t-shirt logo, then we can collect $, get shirts made, etc.

I would like for OFF members to come out of the woodwork and attend some 501st Legion Cloud City Garrison/Rebel Legion Kashyyyk Base events and make their OFF presence known. Even if it's to show up at the event to support the event by making a donation, or just stopping by and talking to the costumers. At least get you picture taken with Star Wars characters. It's a great way to interact with people who do share our common interest in Star Wars.

I know it's a little too late to announce this but there is a Rebel Legion Kashyyyk Base meeting in Portland
    Sept.28th @ It's a Beautiful Pizza if any OFF members want to show up, they can.
    Sunday, September 28th at Its A Beautiful Pizza on SE Belmont St (cross street is SE 34th) at 4pm

9. Jiltedtoo Jedi Master

star 4
    why should we have our own meetings when we can just crash other groups meetings and events?

Lets just pretend we have meetings and call it a day.

I mean in the past year we haven't been able to even sit down and have dinner as a group. Why bother starting now?
  10. SigmaRue Jedi Knight

star 1
    Because change is good and fun and people want meetings. Couldn't hurt.
  11. jawafett Oregon Fanforce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 3
    By all means, come up with a meeting time, set it up.
    If I can't get people to come to a simple group meeting even if it's a gathering with another group, then why would you show up to ANY kind of Star Wars event put on by the costuming groups.

FYI, this is a Star Wars Fan group is it not??[face_thinking] Don't you want to interact with Star Wars fans.

The whole point is to see how other groups are formed, how they act, and maybe be some how included in any kind of Star Wars related activity. It's not crashing when the invite is there.

Besides having same members in different groups, gives different perspectives, points of views, and maybe interaction between the groups may have benefits.

I've put out plenty of topics to discuss, if you have something to discuss then put it up.

What are you interested in? Star Wars Novels, comics, toy collecting, video games.

Is Anyone willing to host a meeting at their house? Or would we prefer a central location which anyone can get to?
  12. AramysStrael Force Ghost

star 4
    Because that is the dictates of being a FanForce. If we aren't following the charter, we lose our status as a FanForce.

I, for one, don't want to lose the OFF. Not when we are getting close to having our own SWAG that would define us. As, I've said, it isn't like all members are required to attend or else. But we do need to have some gatherings. Even if it is only three people - Jilted, you will remember the one meeting over at Kyle's place where it was just the three of us. That still counts and it does qualify. And yes, we do need to do these to keep our status. If not, then what is the point in even continuing to have the OFF?

I agree with Eric's assessment. Let's get beyond the why's and just do it.

-Bill
  13. crashdown Force Ghost

star 4
    1. The CR needs to set fixed meetings. Bimonthly is fine. I would have a fixed time and fixed place each month or bimonthly. If someone else wants to have the meeting location at a different place, that is fine, but there should be a fixed place until it changes so that we do not debate the issue. I think the best place is in the Metro area....just because there are more members in Portland, and it is easier to get numbers. Once we get better organized, we can think about meetings outside of Portland.

2. Bill is correct, if we are going to be a Fanforce, we need to follow the chapter rules and have meetings.

3. Attending 501st or Rebel Legion events is fine, but not as a substitute for OFF meetings and events. We are not the 501st or the Rebel Legion, they have their own organizations and forums. We are the Off, and the FanForce requires that we do independent activities.

4. I agree with Bill again......having a meeting/activity with only three members is fine. It keeps us as an active chapter, and keeps energy going. When I was CR about half of our meetings only had a handful of members....and that's OK.....they were still fun.

5. If all we want from the OFF is a web site forum, then lets just tell the "colors" now so they can shut us down. Like it or not, meetings are required to be an official FanForce Chapter.

6. Again, lets not get too complicated. Lets just do meetings for now. We are not a very active group, and we cannot be expected to do more original types of activities. Keep it simple......meetings (maybe with some pizza and pop). And keep the meeting simple.......keep them more as social events. You will never get this group to want to go to a meeting filled with talk about organizing our group.
  14. AramysStrael Force Ghost

star 4
    Well said, Crash.

- Bill
  15. Jiltedtoo Jedi Master

star 4
    Yes I know. I tried to make this point a year ago. Going to other group events, although maybe fun, are not FF meetings (and frankly can be boring if you are not a part of what ever that group is into).

Crash is right on. We just have to have regular monthly meetings. Nothing special, just a sit down.

16. jawafett Oregon Fanforce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 3
    First, Let's get something clear here. The invite to attend a Rebel Legion KB meeting was no means for a substitute of a OFF MEETING, otherwise would have been stated, and even posted as such not only as a seperate posting, but also a notification to our RSA.

Secondly, finding a centralized location is just as hard as getting people to agree to a date/time for such meetings. Unless someone is willing to put up their house as a meeting place. Not everyone enjoys going to a resturant, bowling alley which in some cases can be noisey, so that people can hear conversations and not be distracted. I would like to have meetings, every other month at a location where we can have room for people, able to play board games, video games, play movies, without being annoyed or bothered by patrons of establishements.

Does anyone live near a community grange or recreation room that can be provided for meetings?

Official Monthly/Bimonthly meetings to discuss OFF business will be established by the CR, but anyone can plan/organize/host meetings.

As far as just having a site for forums besides here can be made. We do have a Oregon Fanforce web page, and is being looked into for having forums added by Grumpydevil. Patience.

Again, I ask. What items of discussion would you as the members want to have?
    There are a ton of new Star Wars stuff out there.
    Clone Wars Movie coming to DVD/Blueray, Clone Wars cartoon on TV, toys, comic books, etc.
    The Force Unleashed- again tons of stuff there.
    New Novels, and Comic Books, toys, RPG, etc.

Is anyone interested in meeting up at the Portland Comic Book Show? If so, maybe we could plan a OFF Meeting around that.

Is anyone interested in showing up for the "Milennium Falcon" Book signing at Powelss Books Beaverton? Maybe we could meet up for that, chat before or afterwards.

Is anyone interested in wanting be a part of a Rebel Pilot costuming party where you can get your own Rebel Pilot costume put together?

So here I ask of you, the membership, What Activities are you interested in doing so proper plans can be made/arranged? Some of us do have lives and family that take a higher priority. Through proper planning, things can be accomplished.
  17. Larena_Jade Jedi Master

star 4
    lol, good grief.

Why is the conversation even happening?

"Lets get together, yeah yeah yeah..." :oops:
  18. crashdown Force Ghost

star 4
    Larena, are you actually suggesting that you may make a meeting? :p
  19. Larena_Jade Jedi Master

star 4
    are we saying "make" as in make it to a meeting? Or "make" as in create a meeting? Cuz I'm done with the days of attempting to create. But I will attend!
  20. AramysStrael Force Ghost

star 4
    Hey, hey.... Larena will attend!

- Bill
  21. Larena_Jade Jedi Master

star 4
    Wait, what am I attending again? [face_worried]
  22. jawafett Oregon Fanforce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 3
    Something.... Anything.

Seriously, we could meet up at the Portland Comic Book Show and at the "Millennium Falcon" book signing Beaverton.

But looking for places to hold an actual meeting. I would say a pizza place with a large table area. Peitro's Pizza in Milwaukie?? Anyone?
  23. AramysStrael Force Ghost

star 4
    I am up for Pietro's anytime. Just lock in the time and date and I will be there!

- Bill
  24. Larena_Jade Jedi Master

star 4
    MILWAUKIE...

So basically you shouldn't have a meeting during the week. If you do, it should be on TR in the evening. If not, SA works best for meyea.
  25. crashdown Force Ghost

star 4
    I delivered pizzas for Pietro's Pizza in Gresham for 6 year in the late 1980's and early 1990's (I know...before some of you were born, ha, ha). This was in the days when Pietro's was all over the State.

Does the Milwaukie Pietro's still have the Pizza Maker Special (essentially, everything on it except anchovies)?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.