main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sac, CA UPCOMING RELEASES (The Nerd Cinema Summer of Love)

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by TaintedJedi, Feb 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediDarkNight

JediDarkNight Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 24, 2005
    Chim-chim? The monkey (or ape, whatever)? (No, offense. Just can't remember the names of all the characters.)

--JediDarkNight

2. TaintedJedi

TaintedJedi Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2004
    Star Trek is no longer listed on the 2008 release schedule for that very reason. As for Chim-Chim... chimpanzees are classified as "Great Apes", not monkeys. Monkeys have tails, for starters. ;)

-TJ

3. JediDarkNight

Sep 24, 2005
    Oh, so you already knew about it! TJ the Movie Tracer Kid! LOL

--JediDarkNight

4. JediDarkNight

Sep 24, 2005
    Well maybe Star Trek the Motion Picture and Nemesis aren't really bad movies after all, "just misunderstood" ones (as the TV B-rated horror movie host, Mr. Lobo would say it)! Star Trek TMP was also a (around-) Christmas release back in 1979 (before many of you younger kiddies were even born I'm sure!). See how the corruption of the commercial system can decieve us into thinking what are the "good" flicks and what are "bad" ones? [face_laugh] It's all about the timing of these things. OK, I'm just being a goof! 8-}

--JediDarkNight

5. darthmetalhead2

darthmetalhead2 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 16, 2007

Hey Steve..I can give you the link to see the trailer..but as far as dinosaurs? No. Remember they were extinct well over a million years ago..so 10,000 BC would place it well after the Dinosaurs became extinct. Oviously Ross from Friends would know more about that..just kidding..here's the link to see the trailer of 10,000 BC :) (There are 2 trailers all together for this movie so far.

http://www.worstpreviews.com/review.php?id=520

They have released the original Star Trek series in 2 different formats so far. #1 you can get the 3 seasons either together or separately in just standard dvd or you can buy the original Star Trek dvd's in HD DVD for almost $100 for the first season at amazon.com..here is the link to find out more about the original series..

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/105-8795157-3288420?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Star+Trek%3A+The+original+Series

I hope I helped you out Steve :) Tonight I'm going to watch Life is a House and Shattered Glass with Hayden in it. Cool you like Hayden :)

Alex

6. JediDarkNight

Sep 24, 2005
    X-Files 2?! I thought they buried that series (movie and TV show) in a grave a long time ago (as much as I'm an X-Files fan)! The first movie was just OK to me.

Now the Mummy movies (assuming your talking about the 1990s ones) I'm sorry but I have to say they sucked (yuuuuuck! Blaaaa! [spits on the ground] yuck!) Just kidding about the yuck and spit part. The suck part though, that's my own honest opinion. But I felt that those movies were way too adventurous rather than horror-like than what the previews had made out the first one to be, and so got way to far away from the black and white originals (Boris Karloff's). Some say it had nothing to do with the originals, but it makes me wonder since both series of movies were turned out by the same studio (Universal). The '90s series did have it's great special effects though and a good deal of suspense. They were just not my thing though. I take horror flicks, especially classic/vintage ones like Karloff's Mummy, very seriously, so the '90s series just didn't impress me. They're too much like The Mummy Meets Indiana Jones (now the Indy movie coming out I have to go see definitely!).

Hopefully the new X-Files movie will do way better than the first one. That would be a rarety for me because I'm usually one who praises the originals more when it comes to films.

--JediDarkNight

7. darthmetalhead2

Feb 16, 2007
    I absolutely loved Star Trek: Nemesis..yes your right it is a very misunderstood Star Trek movie. I enjoy Star Trek: The Motion Picture as well. ST:TMP came out in '79 just two years after Star Wars and what was significant about ST: TMP was the special effects was very good. For 79 it made a lot of money but just the plot of the movie was a little slow that's all. I loved Stephen Collins as well long before he did 7th Heaven.

Star Trek: Nemesis was a spectacular movie just was with the wrong competition and also it made a lot of money on dvd as well :)

Alex

8. JediDarkNight

Sep 24, 2005
    Oh the hell with Hell[face_devil] Boy for me! I can care less.
    Nah! Just kidding LOL. I just never could get into Hell Boy though.

--JediDarkNight

9. JediDarkNight

Sep 24, 2005
    Yeah! silly! 8-}

--JediDarkNight

10. TaintedJedi

Mar 2, 2004
    I think I'm beginning to understand your taste in movies, sir... not that there's anything wrong with your taste, but let's just say I'm seeing a certain trend in it, that I, in my opinion, don't agree with...

AVPR. Star Trek Nemesis. For shame, sir! [face_shame_on_you]

But, nah, it's cool. We've been over that stuff before. Just ribbing you. ;)

-TJ

P.S. For the record, MY favorite "Next Gen" Trek movie was definitely Generations. I'm not sure when it comes to ToS era movies which one I'd latch onto... I know I liked 2,4, and 6 lots though.

P.P.S. Let's hope for no dinosaurs in 10.000 BC. I know my anthropology professor would skin me alive if she found out I went to that movie for any OTHER reason then to yell out in protest in all the gross historical inaccuracies that are bound to crop up as is...

11. darthmetalhead2

Feb 16, 2007
    Yes I'm talking about the Mummy movies that came out in the 90's. Please forgive me but I never saw classic Karloff movies or the original Mummies to for me the Brendan Fraser incarnations were wonderfully done. I like that kind of stuff. I own the Indiana Jones movies but I enjoyed the Mummies even more. Here is the link at imdb.com for the Mummy movie..(which includes Jet Li as one of the stars as well :)
    http://imdb.com/title/tt0859163/

And yes here is the link to X-Files 2 which is still untitled but is being directed by Chris Carter like the series and the first one. I actually enjoyed the first X-Files movie. I never saw every episode from the series so the movie was very refreshing for me.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0443701/

Alex

12. TaintedJedi

Mar 2, 2004
    I enjoyed the first movie, but it wasn't until I bought the trades and the artbook that I really got an appreciation for Mignola's (fantastic) sense of mood, style, and storytelling. I'm iffy about this second movie just from the visuals I've seen... but I'm willing to trust Del Toro and Mignola. It will be interesting to see how they handle this move "away" from the Nazi and Rasputin-centric material of the first movie.

-TJ

13. JediDarkNight

Sep 24, 2005
    Ooh! A new M. Night Shyamalan [sic?] flick coming out? Now that I gotta go see! I've become a fan of his films! Even if this turns out to be a succky one, I'll go see it. I admit, Lady In the Water (?) wasn't that great compared to his other ones. But as Mr. Lobo says: "they're not bad movies, just misunderstood"! So Lady In the Pool, or uh, Lake? or no, Water? I don't know, I'm sure it was somewhat based on the Arthurian legend's Lady of the Lake! LOL So Lady in the Pool was a good movie. For a flop that is. [face_laugh] Actually, it was OK. Maybe I just say that because I liked that Asian chick in the flick! The one who was always providing the main character (forgot his name) with books from her college's book store? (Because he was an introvert).

--JediDarkNight

14. darthmetalhead2

Feb 16, 2007
    "War, Huh..what is it good for..absolutely Nothing..Say it again" just kidding..My favorite Star Trek movies are as follows:
    10. Star Trek: The Final Frontier--awful.."what does God need with a Starship"
    9. Star Trek V: The Motion Picture--I'm only ranking this low because of the Next Generation movies were that good and because it was a little slow but the special effects and story were great
    8. Star Trek: Insurrection--I just love the Next Generation Crew
    7. Star Trek: Generations-I enjoyed the old and new crossover
    6. Star Trek III: The Search For Spock--Spock..what else :)
    5. Star Trek III: The Undiscovered Country-I loved the politics of the Klingons and Federation
    4. Star Trek VI: The Voyage Home-The Whales :)
    3. Star Trek: First Contact-The Borg
    2. Star Trek: Nemesis-Romulans and the end of the original Data was very well done for me
    1. Star Trek: Wrath of Khan-Khan..the ultimate Star Trek villian :)

Let's hope that Star Trek XI breaks the odd number curse :) I think there are some Saber-tooth animals in the 10,000 BC movie though according to the trailer and pictures :)

I guess I don't go along with Bulls when it comes to movies that's why I enjoy movies like Nemesis and AVP2..But I think I will give Rambo a chance after all ;) thanks to Gizmo in the 2nd Gremlins movie ;)

Alex

15. JediDarkNight

Sep 24, 2005
    Is that all! So you amputate the monkey's tail and it automatically becomes an ape? [face_laugh]

Oh, yeah, that's right. The tails are just for starters. I know, the other features (the finishers? Continuers?) that distinguish the monkeys from the great apes is the claws; monkeys have claws, where apes have actual hands. Correct me if I'm wrong; your the anthropology major I believe you had said? I only took one class in the subject. Actually two but I flunked it, (back in jr. college) so I don't really count that one. I'm only an English nerd (tut!tut! Not as in English ancestry, mate. I'm too Latino and Portugee for that [senor]! but as in my major when I was attending university, of course!)

--JediDarkNight

16. darthmetalhead2

Feb 16, 2007
    I've seen Signs and the 6th Sense and I enjoyed both of those films..oh and Unbreakable was great too :)..I haven't seen The Village or Lady in the Lake yet but the trailer for The Happening looks great because the trailer isn't giving away anything. I'm a huge fan of Mark Wahlberg anyways. I've enjoyed ever film Mark has been in..and you hardly ever hear anything bad about him either. I enjoyed The Shooter and Perfect Storm he was in as well..plus The Italian Job was great too.

Alex

17. JediDarkNight

Sep 24, 2005
    Oh, yeah! It's been very helpful! Thanks Alex!:) I'll try to check out that sight and the Amazon.com.

Yeah, I know. Homosapien came way after the dinosaurs went extinct. I just thought it would be neat to see a movie with today's special effects and themes where it showed how wo/man would have to survive with the dinosaurs, especially along side with the predators. In sci fi and fantasy anything goes! Maybe they were trying to make this one more historical? (pardon the pun; this would've been pre-historic times, I know!). It still may be interesting. Thanks again!

--JediDarkNight

18. JediDarkNight

Sep 24, 2005
    Well thanks again, Alex! I'll check'em out! :)

--JediDarkNight

19. darthmetalhead2

Feb 16, 2007
    Your welcome Steve :) I may not be the smartest apple in the bunch and probably don't know everything when it comes to movies but like my myspace page promotes..I'm an unofficial promoter of the arts. I always enjoy finding out things when it comes to movies, tv shows, music and/or books. If there is anything you need help with just cough in my direction..or simply just ask..just kidding with the coughing. Your right though about the dinosaurs..being that the last Jurrasic Park movie came out quite a few years ago and even Godzilla came out more than 3 years ago as well. But rumor mill and it's still in the pre-production stage for a 4th Jurassic Park movie to come out in 2009 as well.

Alex

20. TaintedJedi

Mar 2, 2004
    Yes, having nails as opposed to claws is differentiating trait between different primates. Prosimians (like lemurs) are the "most primitive" and have prognathisms (snouts), tapetum lucidem (reflective coating on the back of the eyes like cats and dogs), grooming claws, etc. New World and Old World Monkeys like howlers and baboons respectively have tails and prognathisms... however, baboons have snouts less for scent and more for their teeth - huge canines take up a good portion of the front of the skull. When we get into hominoids, we get into much less 'diverse' attributes - we start looking at species that are all generally terrestrial (great apes, at least), who have nails as opposed to claws, who have fully prehensile hands and opposable thumbs, etc.

It's been awhile since primatology and that's not quite my area of expertise in the field, but that's what I could spit out with the help of a text book...

-TJ

21. Nasus_Sivad

Nasus_Sivad Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 19, 2006
    Common guys, I read this link to see what is up with movies and I am stuck in a science lesson.

All I can say is that I watch a movie that looks interesting and I either like it or I don't. Never got into the whys and wherefores. Sometimes to much thinking takes the simple enjoyment out of some things and movies and television can be that sometimes. It is there to stimulate the mind, give a few moments escape from the day to day world, and to JUST enjoy.

All the talk like is going on on this thread can be intimidating and daunting to others like myself to jump in and discuss their likes and dislikes. If we don't agree or get to deep into the descriptions we might be slammed. Sorry but just a trend I am seeing on this thread.

As far as the mummy movies - loved them. Brendan Fraser is one of my favorites. Star Trek should have stopped after the original series and I don't think OLD movies are all they are cracked up to be. Just never got past wanting to watch black and white movies. Plus there is no depth to most old movies. I am more a Willow, Flash Gordan, Star Wars, Color Purple, 6th Sense kind of person. Doesn't take much for me to enjoy it but it sure makes life a lot more simpler. :)

22. TaintedJedi

Mar 2, 2004
    I blame Jedidoria. She was the one shrieking about how she got "the same post over and over" and how she "got it already". ;) Glad to see someone appreciated all my hard work. I'll keep the "nerd talk" to the "nerds" then... oh wait, this is labeled "nerd cinema"... hmm. I guess it's a different breed of nerd we're talking about then. ;)

But fair enough, the Madam Vice Chancellor hath spoken. Let's stay on topic, people (Read: TJ).

-TJ

23. Nasus_Sivad

Nasus_Sivad Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 19, 2006
    Keep the movie info coming TJ. Thanks for not getting upset. :) This should be more of an information/planning thread rather than a critiqing one. They can start one for that if they would like to continue their discourse on the ins and outs of their favorite movies - kind of like the JD/Marric thread. :) There is so much being posted all over the place, it is hard to find information sometimes and to keep up with the important posts. I hate wading through some of the conversations looking for dates and times. :)

24. TaintedJedi

Mar 2, 2004
    For Nasus, so she doesn't have to wade... ;)

Jumper - Valentine's Day 2008

Spring 2008
    Fanboys - Possibly March or April 2008
    10,000 BC - March 7, 2008
    Superhero Movie - March 28th, 2008
    Iron Man - May 2, 2008
    Speed Racer - May 9, 2008
    The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian - May 16, 2008
    Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull: May 22, 2008

Summer 2008
    The Incredible Hulk - June 13, 2008
    Hellboy II - July 11, 2008
    The Dark Knight - July 18, 2008
    X-Files 2 - July 25, 2008
    Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon - August 1, 2008
    Star Wars: Clone Wars - August 15, 2008

Fall 2008

Winter 2008
    (James Bond) Quantum of Solace - November 7, 2008

25. Bith_Lord

Bith_Lord Jedi Padawan star 4

May 5, 2005
    Why not ask the big cheese to make this a sticky thread at the top.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.