main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga [update: 7/29] - For All That Is Sacred - ANH-ROTJ - OCs and canon - X-Wing squadfic

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Arin_Atona, Apr 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arin_Atona

Arin_Atona Jedi Master star 4

Jul 10, 2004
    Title: For All That Is Sacred (To Still the Fates, Vol. II)
    Author(s): Arin_Atona
    Timeframe: Classic Trilogy (ANH-ROTJ)
    Characters: OCs, Mara Jade, and eventually most of the Classic Trilogy cast
    Genre: OC behind-the-scenes action adventure romance squadfic

Summary: Venom Squadron is tasked with a mission to aid the Rebel Alliance.

Notes: AU in comparison to the Han Solo Trilogy. Canon in comparison to the movies and the most the EU.

This may be Book 9, but the background isn't needed, which is good, considering most of it hasn't been written yet. :p Books 1 through 8 are in-progress in this thread.

Disclaimer: Star Wars belongs to George Lucas and I own no part of it. This story is simply in tribute.

To Still the Fates
    Volume Two : For All That Is Sacred

Book Nine : Insurgency

Dramatis Personae ( * - canon character ):

Jev Atona, Cmdr. ? human male ? X-Wing pilot, Venom squadron commanding officer
    Jennigan Hatonen, Capt. ? human male ? X-Wing pilot (Venom Six)
    Uric Myelle, Capt. ? human male ? Captain of the Star Destroyer Devastator
    * Darth Vader ? human male ? Sith Lord
    Arvis Tercion, S.Sgt. ? human male ? Imperial Stormtrooper
    Selvian Groy, Dr. ? human male ? Imperial scientist
    * Wedge Antilles, Lt. ? human male ? X-Wing pilot (Red Two)
    * Biggs Darklighter, Lt. ? human male ? X-Wing pilot (Red Three)
    Cara Thrash, Maj. ? human female ? Covert operative
    * Artoo-Deetoo ? astromech, philosopher, and gadget-wizard extraordinaire
    * Leia Organa ? human female ? High Princess of Alderaan, Imperial Senator
    * See-Threepio ? protocol droid
    * Jan Dodonna, Gen. ? human male ? Rebel strategist
    * Mara Jade ? human female ? Imperial Assassin
    The Rebel Shadow ? unknown
    * Airen Cracken, Gen. ? human male ? Commanding Rebel officer of Yavin Base
    * Wes Janson, Lt. ? human male ? X-Wing pilot (Red Four)
    * Derek "Hobbie" Klivian, Lt. ? human male ? X-Wing pilot (Red Eight)
    * Dexter Jettster ? besalisk male ? Cook
    Kali Thrash, Capt. ? human female ? Captain of the Rainy Day (mother of Cara)

A single hero is but one shining star among many that fill the night sky;
    To be numbered among them is the height of honor.
    For they walk where mortals fear to tread, and they fight against the darkness.
    For all we hold dear...
    For all that is sacred...

For a galaxy unworthy of them.

To salute one is to salute them all.

-Eulogy for a Knight

Ardiese
    3 weeks before A New Hope

The pure, moonless night of the Enhenta Solstice wasn't a typical holiday by most standards. Even among those cultures inclined toward lunar worship, holidays usually commemorated past events or marked a specific date on the celestial calendar. Such was its rarity, that when all four Sahenta Moons of Ardiese were absent from the night sky, it was an evening that heralded a time of personal trial and coming trouble.

Only once in every eighteen years did the moons hide their faces from their devotees, and looking out across the vast darkness that covered the rolling plains, Jev Atona could still remember the horrors of the last Enhenta Solstice. He'd only been just tall enough to see out the viewport as the ship carrying his family tried to flee their embattled homeworld. The plains below and the skies above were illuminated in a vast array of brilliant colors and fireworks caused by death being freely exchanged between Republic and Separatist forces trying to gain or retain control of the underground weapons foundries their world was known for. It was that very night that the weapons fell silent and the Clone Wars ended.

The Sahenta moons turned their faces away, and in their absence, they heralded the birth of the Empire.

On this night, the plains were at peace, as was the capital city many miles in the distance.

Still, Jev couldn't help but feel as though tr

2. BrokenNoseOfQui-Gon

BrokenNoseOfQui-Gon Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 15, 2004
    This looks like it will be quite interesting. I like your writing style. I liked the characters and their dialogue was especially well done.

3. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    YAY! We finally get to see Jev's story in the rebellion! Great start. I love that you're using Ardiese again.

4. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Oh, this is going to be good. But then, your stories always are! :D

5. LukesTheMan

LukesTheMan Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 30, 2004
    An amazing start! =D=

6. Arin_Atona

Jul 10, 2004
    BrokenNose: I like your writing style. I liked the characters and their dialogue was especially well done.

I've only really brought in one major protagonist so far, but thanks!

Ishy: We finally get to see Jev's story in the rebellion!

Among others ;)

: I love that you're using Ardiese again.

Why make a planet if you aren't going to use it? :D

VL64: Oh, this is going to be good. But then, your stories always are!

Aww, thanks! [face_blush] You really know how to encourage ;)

LukesTheMan: An amazing start!

Thanks for dropping in!

7. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    True. I think my OCs and places just tend to get blown up.

8. Arin_Atona

Jul 10, 2004
    So do canon characters and places in your fics!

9. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Um, true...

10. Arin_Atona

Jul 10, 2004

Imperial Tactical Assault Training Area
    Braxant Sector, near the Bastion System

"Abort the training mission," Uric Myelle ordered casually after glancing at the chrono. "We have just enough time to recover our fighters before making the jump to our rendezvous point."

"Unnecessary, Captain," came the reply. "The game is over."

It took a moment for Captain Myelle to process the meaning behind that statement and turn away from the Devastator's forward viewport to give the operations technician a perplexed look. "So soon? How is that possible?"

"Theta squadron divided up its forces, sir. They sent one flight around the dark side of the planetoid and attacked the target from the rear. The rest of the squadron used the ground clutter to conceal their numbers and drew Omega squadron away from the target."

Myelle nearly cracked a smile. His rookie squadron just bested their veteran comrades on only their third attempt. This latest group of Academy graduates was quite possibly one of the most well-trained groups of new pilots to ever enter the ranks of the Imperial Navy, and after today, he was even more impressed.

At least, he would have cracked a smile, were it not for the fact that he now had to inform Omega squadron of their defeat. Such was a rare occurrence to begin with, but considering who was leading them today, Captain Myelle found himself swallowing hard and tugging slightly at his collar before nodding at the comm officer to open a channel.

"Omega Leader," he said calmly, pausing to clear his throat, "this is Devastator control."

"What is it, Captain?" Somehow, despite not having anything more than voice contact, the entire bridge crew of the Devastator fell eerily silent upon hearing the deep, vocabulator-synthesized voice and rhythmic mechanical breathing.

"Lord Vader," Myelle replied hesitantly, "I regret to inform you that Theta squadron has destroyed the target."

Silence... mostly. The continued laborious respiration let him know the channel was still open.

"Understood," the Dark Lord finally said, the transmission ending abruptly afterward.

Darth Vader's tone, Myelle noted mentally, sounded rather menacing. Of course, it was difficult to recall occasions when the voice of the Emperor's chief executor didn't sound menacing. More than difficult, actually.

"Theta squadron is returning to the hangar, sir," the operations tech informed him. "Omega squadron is standing by for clearance."

"New contacts!" shouted another bridge officer. "One squadron of fighters just dropped out of hyperspace at the forward edge of the training area... X-Wing class, sir... no transponders."

That's odd, Myelle pondered to himself. Even the Rebels used transponders to distinguish friend from foe. "Put Omega squadron on standby and have them hold position," he instructed. "What's the disposition of the X-Wing fighters?"

"They're maintaining neutral formation, low speed, and their S-foils are not deployed, sir. They appear to be making a flyby of the training area and setting up for practice."

Myelle sighed. "They're probably just some backwater system's excuse for space-traffic police coming to get in a little training. Still, with the Rebels using X-Wings as their primary assault force, we'd better identify them, just to be sure."

"Their squadron leader is hailing us, sir."

Myelle nodded to the comm officer and gestured for an open channel. "Unidentified squadron, this is the Imperial Star Destroyer Devastator. Please identify yourself and state your business here."

"Devastator, this is Commander Jev Atona of Ardiese SecForce. We were just coming by for a training run. I didn't realize the area was occupied."

"Ardiese?" Myelle asked one of the bridge officers quietly.

"Rim world, just outside the Tion sector."

They weren't too far from home, making their claim plausible, but he wasn't convinced.

11. AnakinsHeir

AnakinsHeir Jedi Youngling star 3

May 2, 2004
    I can't wait to see what happens next. It's very interesting to see things from this perspective. =D=

12. Arin_Atona

Jul 10, 2004
    AnakinsHeir: I can't wait to see what happens next. It's very interesting to see things from this perspective.

I try to come at things from interesting angles. :) Thanks for reading!

13. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    *snrk* Yeah, I like that you used that tactic you were worrying about last night. It worked marvelously in context.

14. Arin_Atona

Jul 10, 2004
    : I like that you used that tactic you were worrying about last night. It worked marvelously in context.

Good to know ;) Thanks!

15. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Heehee, I saw a thing on Cortes last night and it said "Amateurs study tactics, professionals logistics."

16. Arin_Atona

Jul 10, 2004
    I study both. What does that make me?

Besides a genius, I mean...

[/humble]

17. padawan lunetta

padawan lunetta Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 1999
    Nice post formernewbiewanmine. :)

18. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Um, you're a weirdo...

19. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    Woo, found this story today. :D Looking very good so far. And now I guess I'd better go catch up with Books 1-8, huh? :p

The Solstice was an interesting event, especially given how it traditionally heralded bad things happening.

Now, granted, I haven't read the previous books yet (or what is written of them to this point, anyway), but just from your first post here in #9, it looks like Commander Atona really holds his squadron's respect and loyalty. He'd have to, for all of them to leave everything behind and follow him in a mutiny.

Kudos to Venom Squadron for getting a jump on the TIEs, but if Vader is out there with the Omegas, the Venoms might be getting more than they really wanted.

Looking forward to more! :)

-Thumper

20. JediTristan

JediTristan Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 30, 2004
    Ha-LA!

Told you I make weird noises.

*Waves at Ishtar*- Hi!

[/end randomness (I hope)]

So...I am anxiously awaiting this post as well, and am reminded of my fave author, Guy Gavriel Kay. The nuance of duty, specifically, he deals with that a lot.

So yay! I guess I'm reading this out of chronological order (from the comments made by everybody else), but I must tell you that I am in awe and I cannot wait to learn from you.

Cheers!

-The Braided one

21. Arin_Atona

Jul 10, 2004
    Ishy: Um, you're a weirdo...

Yes, yes. This is an established fact.

Thumper09: Woo, found this story today. :D Looking very good so far.

I'm glad you did! Thanks for dropping in.

: And now I guess I'd better go catch up with Books 1-8, huh?

Technically, book 1 is WIP. Only the stuff that happens well beyond this is semi-complete.

: it looks like Commander Atona really holds his squadron's respect and loyalty.

The hallmark of a good commander is one that goes and the others follow. In Jev's case, he had a bit of help from Dodonna. They're still just the equivalent of a police-force, but they're going anyways. As we'll see later, they've all got reason for going into mutiny.

: Kudos to Venom Squadron for getting a jump on the TIEs

Some tactics can only be used once, though.

: but if Vader is out there with the Omegas, the Venoms might be getting more than they really wanted.

Don't expect the battle to be pretty. ;)

/edit:

My Newbiewan sneaks in ;)

JediTristan: The nuance of duty, specifically, he deals with that a lot.

A common theme in my storylines.

: I guess I'm reading this out of chronological order

As is everybody else. :D 1-8 isn't done yet, but not much of what happens then (8 ends almost 900 years earlier) affects this section of the plotline. That's why I say it's okay to start reading here.

: but I must tell you that I am in awe and I cannot wait to learn from you.

[face_blush]

22. Arin_Atona

Jul 10, 2004

Jev allowed himself a prideful grin. His ruse with the Imperials had allowed them to occupy the Devastator's attention for a full three minutes without having to fire a shot, and it would take another two at the minimum to recover their fighters.

"Stand by," he ordered calmly as the cluster of TIE fighters approached them. "Odds prep your torpedoes. Fire on my mark. Target their lower ion drives so they'll try pulling up to dodge them. Evens, S-foils go fangs-out when we fire and put a barrage of laserfire just above them."

Their silence indicated their understanding.

The TIEs were closing fast, and Jev didn't want to give up the advantage of surprise. The Imperials would uncover their origin in only a few moments and would open fire immediately afterward. Jev pulled up his targeting computer and locked onto the strangely modified TIE that seemed to be the enemy squadron's leader.

"Ready... in three... two... one... fire!"

He pulled the trigger and a bright burst of light leapt from his fighter, sending a slight shudder through his flightstick. The group of six torpedoes streaked through the void of space between themselves and the Imperials in a heartbeat while he switched his firing control to lasers and flipped the switch to open his S-foil 'wings' into the formation that gave the venerable X-Wing fighter its name.

He had expected the Imperials to pull up to dodge the torpedoes, flying directly into the barrage of red laserfire that suddenly lanced out across the stars when his wingmate opened fire, but the modified TIE he had targeted was too cunning for that maneuver. The lead Imperial rolled his fighter completely over before pulling away, now effectively diving in the opposite direction of the laserfire and breaking away from the torpedo.

The Imperial's wingmate, however, followed protocol and tried to stay with his leader, rolling his own fighter and flying directly into the errant torpedo's path. His, and three of his squadronmates' TIEs that pulled up blossomed like beautiful flowers of fire against dark canvas of vacuum. The remaining TIEs screamed past too quickly to retaliate with any efficiency.

"Stay out of that ImpStar's range," Jev ordered, shoving his throttle to maximum power, flicking his yoke to the side and pulling back hard to come about and find a new target. He then glanced at the chronometer. "We've got to keep them distracted for another minute and a half."

"I've got one on my tail!" shouted a familiar voice.

Jev rolled his fighter over and craned his neck around to find his wingmate. "I'm coming, Two! Try to shake him!" Jev pulled his throttle down to almost nothing and pulled up on his yoke, bringing his fighter to almost a sudden change of direction before catching a glimpse of his wingmate going by on his port side, the modified TIE pursuing him diligently, almost directly on top of Two.

Jev winced inwardly when another bright explosion in the distance was accompanied by the crackling hiss of comm interference. He wasn't sure who, but for the very first time, one of his pilots died under his command. He pushed his throttle up to maximum to give chase to the Imperial leader pursuing his wingmate.

"He's on me too tight!" Two screamed.

"I need a lock on that TIE, Arfive!" Jev had to bear down hard on his ethereal rudder to avoid clipping the wing off another of his pilots that crossed his path, then resumed pursuit of the modified TIE and his wingmate. He had the advantage of a steep angle so that Two wasn't in his line of fire, so he pulled the trigger to fire haphazardly at the Imperial to get him to break off his pursuit.

The TIE responded by rolling to an angle that presented a smaller target to Jev and jinking to avoid the random laserfire. Jev leveled out and tried to come in directly behind the TIE, which juked around deftly to prevent him from getting a target lock.

This guy is going to try to shake me and go after my wingmate?

"I'm hit!" cried another voice.

"Eject, Seve

23. padawan lunetta

padawan lunetta Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 1999
    Ooh nice post! Perfect action sequences, as always. Really liking Jev. :)

24. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I like the Vader/Jev combat a lot. You know both of them survive, but it's nerve-wracking anyway.

25. Arin_Atona

Jul 10, 2004
    Luney: Perfect action sequences, as always.

Thanks! We'll get out of the action soon and into some actual storyline... but I thought it would be good to open up with a dogfight ;)

: Really liking Jev.

Heh. And there hasn't really been much character development for him yet...

Ishy: I like the Vader/Jev combat a lot.

Thanks!

: You know both of them survive, but it's nerve-wracking anyway.

So was writing it. It's tough to write a semi-decent pilot going up against the Chosen One and having him come out the other side alive in a believable fashion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.