main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Update On Master--Kenobi's Surgery

Discussion in 'Archive: Santa Cruz, CA' started by Siri-Tachi, Jul 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Siri-Tachi

Siri-Tachi Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 2, 2005
    Hi everyone, since everyone has been asking about how Master--Kenobi did with the knee surgery, I thought it would be easier to post the results here and let everyone know at once.

Ok, the shattered cartlidge has been removed from underneath the kneecap. All cleaned out and that seemed to go ok. However, once they got inside, the doctor found that Obi's Kneecap had been fractured due to the direct blow/hit, not from a fall. So, the surgery was alot more intensive and invasive than we thought was going to be. The pictures that he took inside the knee during the surgery are pretty vivid and Obi is lucky that the knee wasn't completely shattered. Prognosis is a 6 month to 1 year full recovery, but starting therapy in a few weeks. Oh well, at least it is fixed and our Master is on the mend. Not very coherent, but on the mend. :)

Thanks to all the phonecalls, emails, pm's and visits expressing everyone's prayer's, thoughts and good wishes. I'll be keeping everyone informed by updates.

Thank again,

Siri (and also saying thanks for an unconsious Obi!)

2. TionneHawk

TionneHawk Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    *winces* ow...poor Obi....I knew she was going in for surgery, but not how bad it was damaged

I am glad to hear she is on the mend.
    Lots of hugs from me!
    Come back soon (and all in one piece) Master--Kenobi!!!

3. DarkLordSid

DarkLordSid Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2004
    They just don't build Jedi like they used too.

;)

Get well soon, we need you back on your feet so you can play.

4. Master--Kenobi

Master--Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2003
    Well, back sitting up, at least for a short while. Thanks everybody! :) Gonna take more than the Dark Side to keep this Jedi down. Now to just start healing and getting back into the world of walking again! :cool:

5. mirax80

mirax80 Retired Midwest RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Wow - hope you are doing ok! Glad to hear everything went ok w/the surgery and they were able to fix you up!

MN sends wishes of a swift and complete recovery! [:D]

6. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    Thanks much, all of MN! The good thoughts and wishes are really appreciated! [:D]

Thank the Force, I have an absolutely incredible orthopaedic sugeon!

Master K

7. Taeriel

Taeriel Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 9, 2003
    Master--Kenobi, I hope you continue to have a swift recovery!

8. Kai_Vandekar

Kai_Vandekar Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    I'm so sorry to hear the damage was even more extensive than previously thought, and so glad on your behalf you had a good surgeon, good friends, and good care. I'm so sorry you had to go through all this, and am just sending along best wishes for your recovery, even though it may take a while to be in full effect.

*hug*

- Kai

P.S. Sorry for the slow response...just home from Comic-Con.

9. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    Thanks again to everyone. Well, latest updates. They are weaning me off of the crutches> (Yea! - No longer in Armpit Hell!) But I also was told today, that one of the main muscles supporting my knee had decided to take time off from working (i.e. stop working) cause of the injury. What this all means is now, when I walk I have to physically think out every step and how to place my leg and what muscle to contract to make everything work right. The doctor said that due to he muscle going on strike, and the reconstruction work he did, my knee will no longer work the original way it was supposed to and I now have to re-train it to work with its new configueration. I was laughing today cause I looked like 3PO from EPI (without the coverings) trying to walk. (My Physical Therapist is a big SW fan so we were both laughing about my "Droid Walk" as he calls it.) Its really strange and sorta creepy feeling, but at least I'm up and about now.

So, latest update that everyone has been asking about is now properly logged..

Kenobi out!

:cool:

10. Kai_Vandekar

Feb 9, 2005
    Good lord! How odd! Hopefully, though, as you "retrain" you will eventually develop a muscle memory that will help compensate for all the damage that was inflicted on your poor knee.

Remember when there used to be, back in the day, debates that Obi-Wan WAS actually a clone or a Droid? OB-1, ya know...

11. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    Muscle memory is slowly starting to kick back in. (with the help of LOTS of meditation and visualization work.) Now to just get the bloody thing stronger and keep reminding it that I'm the boss here, not it! [face_laugh]

Gods, does that bring back story memories...the whole clone/droid debate. LOL Did we just show our age on this or what!?! :D (OB-1 not to be confused with Lincoln Echo-Six!)

12. TionneHawk

TionneHawk Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    I think you need the interactive Yoda now Master--K
    "control, control, you must learn control!" ;)

13. Kai_Vandekar

Feb 9, 2005
    Eh? What was that? I'm afraid the hearing's not so good, now that I'm past 30. ;)

- Kai, feeling suddenly tottery and disposed to pluck all her gray hairs...

14. The-Bald-Wookiee

The-Bald-Wookiee Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 13, 2005
    It's nice to know that you're back on your feet, no matter how uncooperative the process may be. Before long you'll be strong enough to pull the ears of a gundark... Yeah I said it, the inner geek is strong with me :oops:

Stay strong and be well, you'll be riverdancing in no time!

15. Kai_Vandekar

Feb 9, 2005
    Riverdancing! Eeek! Just...nobody oil themselves up like Michael Flatley did in "Lord of the Dance"...ok? Thanks. Appreciate it.

*shudder*

- Kai, unnerved

16. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    Thanks for the good wishes, BW. It's amazing how a few seconds can cause a life-altering experience. As for the Riverdancing...uh..no...:D As for back in action...working on it everyday! [face_laugh]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.