main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive Update: sith chick!! ;)

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Duke-Dogwalker, Nov 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duke-Dogwalker

Duke-Dogwalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 2, 2002
    whoops, who's rubbish at html? me i think!!

I hadn't realised that the 'scenes' section wasn't showing the latest pic properly... i'm an idiot.

Anyway, that Jaina red dress pic is now working, plus ganner's last stand too...

2. Aanix_Durray

Aanix_Durray Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 29, 2001

Great work! Your Ganner pic has become my favourite of your drawings as of my viewing it. I absolutely loved it.

Since I didn't have a conception of Ganner in my head as of yet because I never bothered to put together a picture of him, yours was very easy for me to accept. The Vong in the scene were freaky as hell (for lack of better terminology :) ), and I liked how they were muted, as though they weren't really worth examining futher, which put an enhanced emphasis on Ganner himself. My favourite feature of picture has to be Ganner's eyes, they look so serene without making him look spaced out. He's so focused on the task at hand that it really was the best piece of characterization I've seen. I can't give much as far as criticism at the moment, cause I really like it, but if I think of something, I'll definatley post it :) .

Keep it up, matey!

-~Aanix~-

3. TheBalinakaBaroness

TheBalinakaBaroness Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    Ol' Duke!

That Ganner scene turned out great! Really really cool! I love the composition, and the monochromatic color palette. And nice drawing of the mighty Ganner. :) So you really draw all that freehand from scratch on your Wacom tablet? Amazing.

Great job!
    ~Bar

4. Punisher

Punisher Jedi Master star 4

Oct 20, 1998
    Based upon our interactions elsewhere, I took a look.

I'll admit, I don't read the NJO books,I went through the first era of SW novels (Zahn, Anderson, Hambly etc.), outside of the Zahn/Stackpole/Anderson stuff, I found much of it pretty stupid... Out of character charterizations, another hidden super-weapon of the Empire, etc. I decided NOT to read the NJO because of this experience.
    So outside of seeing artists intepretations in the "Guide" or comic books, I can't comment on whether your intepretations match what I got from reading any NJO books.

Critiques/comments: (Sorry, they aren't very specific, I didn't keep up with character names or the titles. :( )

Overall, pretty neat work. I'm glad that you did change some of the costumes and you did personalize the characters.
    The poses are nice as well as the costume designs... did you reference those much?
    The backgrounds and perspectives are great in the scenes.
    The coloring looks very good as well and adds to the style, nice use of lighting.

The only flaws could be in your drawing technique... a few poses seem to off, either in proportion or in anatomy.
    The faces on a few may need more detail and I'd watch the necks... a few seem to be a bit long.

Any flaws can come from drawing directly in the computer. It's tough, I know. So to go at it with a Wacom, on so many pieces, takes guts.

I'm glad you didn't try to PT any of the OT's older characters. BTW, reading hearing that Luke description, I can see why everyone tries to "Qui-Gon" him.

I haven't drawn any NJO characters, but a while back, I did draw a older Luke & Han (not based on anything, just for fun)...
    you may get a kick out of them...

Old Luke

Old Han

Later, I realized that there was supposed to be a older Solo relative that had grey hair and a beard in the EU. I started a older Leia (a couple versions actually), but I never finished it.

Very nice site design and great opening animation. You earned a bookmarking, my friend! :D

5. Duke-Dogwalker

Sep 2, 2002
    Thanks guys, good to see you back Aanix! :)

Pun says: Any flaws can come from drawing directly in the computer. It's tough, I know.

Naaah.... More likely me being lazy! Using a Wacom tablet? Amazing. (Thanks Bar! ;) ) is a little bit awkward to get used to to - but i am used to it so it's no excuse if any of my proportions are off...

My only excuse can be laziness! Though that having said, I'm pretty much happy with the pro on most of them... Jag's arms are a little out, I wasn't entirely happy with Tahiri's either - but other than that i'm not sure i'd change anything else! (But then maybe I'm just blind...)

As for the faces.... well I love 'em! They each conveyed exactly the mood i wanted, and were my priority when doing the drawings... I did chinny out Jag a little bit a while back, on Aanix's advice, but... actually - the back of Jaina's head where she's dueling Kyp? I didn't like that at all - but hey, it's just the back... I can't be bothered to do anything about it!

Later, I realized that there was supposed to be a older Solo relative that had grey hair and a beard in the EU.

Thracken Sal-Solo. Eurgh. One of those reason's you can't be bothered with the books no doubt. Han's evil cousin, and one of the silliest characters ever created in the EU...

Anyway Pun, i loved your han and luke pics - really good. Luke's costume design - spot on. But only coz you picked me up on my pro, i'd just have to say that his calves are a little short! ;)

And I'm glad you ladies appreciated the monochromatic look of the vong army - i wanted them to seem like an ocean of soldiers - hope that worked somewhat!

edit: Opps, missed question... [face_blush]

The poses are nice as well as the costume designs... did you reference those much?

Nah, just scribble away til I like it! I like drawing from my imagination... I will use reference if it really matters, but these are just for fun so... :D

I did use pix of han and leia though, but i couldn't find ones with the facial expressions i wanted, so i still had to make a lot of it up... Nobody seems to think leia looks like her, but i still do... Maybe I'm just looking at it differently!

6. Punisher

Punisher Jedi Master star 4

Oct 20, 1998
    Glad you checked those pixs out, they were fun... I never do aging, so it was an experience to age them, but keep them somewhat recognizable.
    Perhaps I may finish a Leia someday and post you a link.

Yeah, I screwed them up... I didn't realize that until I had sent them to that site! :(
    Then I was too lazy to fix it in Photoshop and send a corrected version in. (I was getting out-of-control sending in my "corrected" 3D stuff!)

I think I was so worried that the shin guards looked stupid, that I didn't even think about the proportions.
    Yes, the shin guards do look stupid, but I couldn't think of anything else that was different enough, besides he's old!! He may have bad shins!! [face_laugh]

No, I have problems with proportions too, so I was trying to help out... it's funny that I can see those things in other people's work and then miss the same things in my own!
    I think I'm a detail whore, the faces and expressions are fine... I'm just like that, I complained about Jim Lee's faces and he's better artist than I am!! [face-laugh]

Yeah, glad you mentioned that. The Vong armor looked really cool.

EDIT: Cool! Very impressive. I really liked the Han Solo "duster" look, that jacket is cool.
    I'll reference my butt off! I'm the anal retentive-perfectionistic artist that all artists SHOULDN'T ASPIRE to be!! :D

7. Duke-Dogwalker

Sep 2, 2002
    I'm the anal retentive-perfectionistic artist that all artists SHOULDN'T ASPIRE to be!!

Ah well, I can be a perfectionist at times, but mostly I'm the "bugger it, that'll do!" sort of artist! I'm sure there's a happy medium somewhere... I run out of patience too easily!

And as for the shin guards.... I liked the shin guards!!!

Edit: You uh, interested in fashion mr. Harmonica?

I saw three of those dusters this morning. They were waiting for a train. Inside the dusters were three men. Inside the men were three bullets.

Ah, no. No. That's a crazy story Harmonica, for two reasons. One: Nobody about these parts got the guts to wear those dusters except Cheyanne's men. And Two: Cheyanne's men don't get killed. Yeah, that's right, play, Harmonica. Play so you can't B*******. Only watch those false notes...

Oh okay, I haven't seen that film in a while - but mention dusters and that's what i think of!

8. Deneveon

Deneveon Jedi Master star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    I love those new scenes, they're awesome. :D

The Ganner scene was especially awesome.

Great work! (Though that's quite an understatement...)

--Den

9. NarundiJedi

NarundiJedi Jedi Master star 6

Oct 8, 2001
    Great stuff, Duke, but Jaina's red dress picture isn't working for me. I'm sure I'd really love to see it, but I can't get to it! :(

Jae Angel

10. Duke-Dogwalker

Sep 2, 2002
    Thanks Den! :) Everyone's being so nice about Ganner, Corran'll be getting jealous... I'll have to do his duel against Shedao Shai or something, with the little guy looking heroic. :cool:

Sorry about that Narundi - I don't really know what I'm doing when it comes to html... I think it was working on a mac first time, but I HAD thought i'd fixed it on a pc the other day too...

but perhaps not! So here... these pics should work. If not, then it's gotta be coz of some curse or something...

[image=http://dukdog.freeservers.com/red1.jpg] [image=http://dukdog.freeservers.com/red2.jpg]

working please?

11. Smashball_Jockey

Smashball_Jockey Jedi Youngling

Mar 24, 2002
    Ganner's Last Stand is amazing! You did a great job, Ganner looks hella hot! That dude is on FIRE!

This image is by far my favorite of all the SW ones I've seen of yours (that have been posted, anyway). I'd like you to prove me wrong though. ;)

Corran's fight? I'd love to see this one too!

You know what I've always thought would be fun/ny to illustrate was Luke, Mara, and Tahiri from Alliston's book when the "strike team" is on Coruscant, and Luke has just gotten out of the pool of creatures that ate all his clothes. Tahiri's look would be priceless. :D (as would Luke's)

Yeah, anyway, keep up the good work! The mass of dead Yuuzhan Vong bodies around Ganner look awesome. Great job.

-Jockey

12. valdezkip

valdezkip Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 23, 2002
    Hey I was curious as to who that was in the Come Back Alive picture? And if your looking for suggestions of scenes...what about something from Myrkr like possibly the jedi sitting around the table waiting to be captured or something? or maybe an Anakin and Tahiri?
    Oh and I wanted to say how much I love your artwork! :) I look forward to any new pieces...

Nicole

13. Duke-Dogwalker

Sep 2, 2002
    Dang!! Got cut off by the telephone again! I?m gonna use Word now, so no interruptions!! Now, what did I write??

Thanks Jockey, glad to see you back!

You know what I've always thought would be fun/ny to illustrate was Luke, Mara, and Tahiri from Alliston's book when the "strike team" is on Coruscant, and Luke has just gotten out of the pool of creatures that ate all his clothes. Tahiri's look would be priceless. (as would Luke's)

Lol! I?d forgotten about that scene, Tahiri?s look would indeed be priceless? You know, I think Allston must have a thing for nekkid blokes ? I remember that scene from the x-wing books with Janson running around wearing nothing but a stuffed ewok? 8-}

Thanks Valdezkip!

Hey I was curious as to who that was in the Come Back Alive picture?

That was Jaina in her x-wing, and Jag expressing the title?s sentiments, just prior to a mission. I know that they?re only little, but did you spot the dark figure in the bottom left? Shawnkyr, looking on in disapproval?

what about something from Myrkr like possibly the jedi sitting around the table waiting to be captured or something? or maybe an Anakin and Tahiri?

I think at one stage I?ll do Anakin?s death? It?s a pretty big scene so I can?t ignore it ? I?m just not sure as how to do it yet!

14. LittleGreenMaster

LittleGreenMaster Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 19, 2002
    I just checked out your site Duke, Really Excellent Star Wars Artwork :D
    I like how Everything is Mostly Dark! :cool: Really goes well with the New Jedi Order theme :D And your style is Cool :cool:

I really liked your Mara Jade, I don't really like the Official actress they use for likeness, No offense to her Fans or anything. Like you, I just don't picture Mara like that, I Loved yours. :) It Does look like she is still recovering from the illness :) Very Cool!
    I Also Loved Ganner's last stand, That was Such a Powerful scene in Traitor! Amazing job :D
    My Favorite is Jaina with the X-Wing suit on, Very well done, Also liked the Duel with Jaina A Lot! :D Lot's of Great work!

When I 1st viewed your Artwork I wasn't entirely sure what medium you had used!
    I had a Feeling it was Computer(I AM a Graphic Design student!), But you do an Excellent job "Roughing" your work up so to speak. I'm Positive I couldn't do the Artwork you've done in Photoshop right now! :p

BTW, Sorry about that whole Oil/Watercolor thing in Fan to Pro Thread! I Couldn't think of a Good way to tell you :p

15. Duke-Dogwalker

Sep 2, 2002
    BTW, Sorry about that whole Oil/Watercolor thing in Fan to Pro Thread! I Couldn't think of a Good way to tell you

Oh don't worry about that! My enthusiasm far outweighs my knowledge in most areas ? so I?m pretty used to saying stuff that might sound stupid only moments later!

My Favorite is Jaina with the X-Wing suit on,

ho ho! The first one I did!

I really liked your Mara Jade, I don't really like the Official actress they use for likeness, No offense to her Fans or anything

yay! someone else who thinks the same as me about that!

Anyway, thanks for the praise LGM - I'm glad you checked my site out after getting to know you on the fan-to-pro thread. :)

16. valdezkip

Sep 23, 2002
    Hey :) Just wanted to tell you that the Jaina red dress picture doest work. When I click on the link the picture doesn't show up. :-(

~Nicole~

17. Duke-Dogwalker

Sep 2, 2002
    oooh, that rascally red dress picture... what's up with it? I dunno what to do to fix it... I can't find any problem with the html.

Does the Corran one work? That one's a bit different in that it clicks between two pictures as well - i'll have to just copy that html direct...

in the meantime - just scroll up a bit. Look for the pics just under NarundiJedi's post - she said she had the same prob. so i posted some links direct...

18. valdezkip

Sep 23, 2002
    Thanks! Love the Jaina pic :-D Especially Kyp in the background. Corran pic worked fine for me (Love that one too). That one Ganner, and Han are my favs...dunno whats up with that page. ::shrugs:: oh well... <p>

~Nicole~

19. Duke-Dogwalker

Sep 2, 2002
    Thanks! Love the Jaina pic :-D

Thankyou! :)

Corran pic worked fine for me

Hmmm, curious. Oh well, I'll just copy the html, change the file names, sprinkle in a few midichlorians... and hope for the best! :D

20. NarundiJedi

Oct 8, 2001
    Duke, the Jaina pic still doesn't work for me. :_| I wish I knew what the html code was doing, that way I could help. It might be something to do with your uploading. Either that or the source.

Jae Angel

21. Duke-Dogwalker

Sep 2, 2002
    Hmmm... Thanks for the offer to help Narundi - i really would appreciate it! :) only I did just try and PM you the code, but my computer's being a bit funny, and i dunno if it worked...

anyway, don't worry about it. scroll up to just under your last post - i put some links there that should work for the time being. :)

22. NarundiJedi

Oct 8, 2001
    My email address is orsakj@rpi.edu. I still can't see it, so that's probably the only way. I wish I knew how your page was set up without all the crazy javascript, or else I'd definitely tell you how to fix the picture. I know a whole lot of html code and have basically programmed my own website.

Jae Angel

23. Duke-Dogwalker

Sep 2, 2002
    That's a great website - nice design, and the best bit is that it's lightning fast - well done on what must be v. efficient code! a lot of sites just take too long on my pathetic little 52k modem... It's an easy trap to fall into, my own site probably has too many downloads that aren't really essential...

One complaint... that's way too many hobbies! What's the secret - do your days have more hours in them than mine do? 8-}

I think my main hobbies are cleaning up my flat and going to the supermarket. :D

Anyway, i'll email those pics presently...

24. NarundiJedi

Oct 8, 2001
    Awe, thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed the website! That was actually something I designed for my web design class. The goal was to make it easy to navigate and keep it free of too many images that would be horrible for people with 56k modems. Believe me, I did a project where the goal was to do the total opposite. It was the most obnoxious thing I've ever seen. I swear, it could crash computers! :p

Anyways, I got the pictures. I'm sorry I didn't get back in here sooner, but my mind is kinda fried. Totally awesome stuff! I just love the shading and the photoshop grainy effects you have on all your images. But that one in particular was great because of Kyp leering in the shadows, and Jaina with the lightsaber. I couldn't help but hear Kyp saying, "Put the lightsaber down, before the urge to dispense justice overwhelms you." :D

Jae Angel

25. Duke-Dogwalker

Sep 2, 2002
    Believe me, I did a project where the goal was to do the total opposite. It was the most obnoxious thing I've ever seen. I swear, it could crash computers!

well, please... DON'T give me the url for that one! 8-}

I'm glad you liked 'em - thanks! :)

I couldn't help but hear Kyp saying, "Put the lightsaber down, before the urge to dispense justice overwhelms you."

yep, ho ho! That's the exact line i was thinking of!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.