main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive Update: sith chick!! ;)

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Duke-Dogwalker, Nov 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duke-Dogwalker

Duke-Dogwalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 2, 2002
    that's true Otis, I just wanted to make excuses for myself, incase my tutorial turned out to be rubbish!

TUTORIAL 1.

[image=http://dukdog.freeservers.com/step-by-step_h.jpg]

http://dukdog.freeservers.com/step-by-step_h.jpg

Okay, I always work on multiple layers, to keep it flexible and future proof... other than that, everything was done using the airbrush tool at various opacities, and set to pressure sensitive size. Oh, I use a wacom tablet and pen! Impossible to do that sort of thing with a mouse i think...

1. I started off by sketching the layout i wanted in a dark blue. (don't ask me why blue... i always use that!) And then i set that layer to multiply, which effectively makes the white background transparent.

2. I then painted a general, but heavy wash of colour in a layer beneath this, green for the land, orange for the sky, v. dark green and flesh tones for corran, and bone white for shedao shai. Above the sketch lines, i painted the lightsaber blade. Also, the colours were all very dark and in shadow at this point.

Then, (clever part!) I copied the colour layer, placed it above the 'lines' layer, and set it to 'colour'. I merged the two, and set the single resulting layer back to 'muliply'. This then had the effect of giving my sketch lines more similar colours to the layer below. I then duplicated the file and flattened it. (saving the old one just in case). To tone down the sketch lines some more, i used i think the 'median' filter from the noise menu. This gave me my base for painting on.

3&4. The first thing i did was to put a wash of red over the whole picture - i can't rememeber which layer setting worked best, it usually changes depending on the situation anyway. Then I just started working in the details, using various sizes of brushes...

5. At some point i decided another wash of red would be a good idea, and then finally some more detail.

All in all it didn't take very long to do, perhaps about 2-3 hours all told.

2. Duke-Dogwalker

Sep 2, 2002
    TUTORIAL 2.

[image=http://dukdog.freeservers.com/corusfall_step.jpg]

http://dukdog.freeservers.com/corusfall_step.jpg

1. Again, started off with a sketch in dark blue - keeping fairly rough, remembering that this time i would be trying to move even further away from needing my original lines for anything other than a basic guide. I had quite a clear idea of the composition i wanted even before i started, but then it became two vong as opposed to one.

2. wasn't really sure where i was going with the colour at this point, so i just gave each element a slightly different tone, and had the sky going from light to dark as it got higher.

3. The first thing i did here was to knock back the sketch lines. No fancy technique this time, just less opacity. I still wasn't sure about what sort of colour i was going for, but i know i wanted it angry and red like the last one, but this time less brooding and more violent. So I slapped a wash of more red on it, and i think set the layer to 'overlay', but i can't remember before. As I said with the last one, the specific layer setting will be dependant upon current circumstances anyway. With the warriors, I brushed in some more red until they looked almost as if they were glowing.

I knew the buildings weren't the colour i wanted yet, but i didn't want to waste any time messing about, so i darkened them and started to paint in their details anyway, concentrating most on the tower to the right.

4.The tower on the right was going so well, that i just kept on going, and began to paint in the sky around it, heavy with dark smoke. I added a couple of impact points, with fire and smoke pouring from the holes, and blowing left across the screen. I painted in the detail for the small tower at the same time. Then I took a softer, larger airbrush, and began to paint in a few shadows on both major buildings.

5. Here I painted over both buildings in a blue tone, and set the layer to something like 'hue'. As you can see, they've just gotten a little more blue. Then I took the left hand building to task, and worked away at it until i was happy with the level of detail.

6. Now I worked on the Vong. I thought at first about making them more multi-hued, but decided against it, instead working on the shadows and glows from the burning environment. I enjoyed painting in the bright red glows at the edges. I used a tiny bit of green in the darker areas, but it doesn't really show.

7. Lastly for the foreground, I turned to the droid, at first painting any highlighted areas in a sky-blue. the mid tones i did in gray, and the dark in near-black. Then i put a wash of red over that, and again had fun with the bright red glowing areas. lastly, i did the glowing photoreceptors in light blue...

Then to finish up, I had a look at the whole thing, adding bits and pieces here and there, giving tone to the little spaceships, some glow spread around the place, and two plasma balls streaking from the sky. Then I just sat back and listened to the noises my brain was making...

And then rammed some lunch down me (at 6pm) coz i had to go out in 5 mins!!! 8-}

This one took a lot longer, i wasn't really counting, but at least six hours. (and the sketch i did the day before.)

there, think that's it!

(Oh, almost forgot to add - I kept flattening when things go to hectic, and saving as a new file... only those as paranoid as myself need apply this technique as regularly as i did...)

3. Aanix_Durray

Aanix_Durray Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 29, 2001
    Wow Duke, awesome painting, the red undertones appears to be a trend :)

I'd have to say that I felt like the droid was akin to a child, or at least that's the connotation I got from the piece. Kind of like the Vong were incinerating the helpless, you know?

I can't say that I'm explaning this correctly, but I made some sense :)

Later,
    -~Aanix~-

4. Duke-Dogwalker

Sep 2, 2002
    yep, you made sense... i made it two vong to make it seem even more horrible and unfair!

poor droid!

5. Aanix_Durray

Dec 29, 2001
    Good, I can never tell when I'm being coherent :)

Oh, and I posted some info on the PT rewrite thread if you want to stop by...

-~Aanix~-

6. Nerak

Nerak Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 28, 2002
    You do all of it on photoshop, WOW! great job

I love the focus and detial on such a large place. In the movies it's always confusing because the show the hole thing, kinda overwhelming. But you did it perfect.

If you like drawing on photoshop maybe you should try using Adobe Illustrator, thats what it's made for. It's just about the same as photoshop but with some diffrence for the artist's needs.

Great work Duke,

Farewell
    Nerak

7. Mazzic

Mazzic Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2000
    Yeah - WOW.

A "Fall of Coruscant" piece was next on my lists of projects - but I'm not even going to try now. This is by far the best piece you've done (in my opinion). I'm speechless. You did an amazing job. I love your buildings (though the perspective on the right one looks a tiny bit off), and the coloring is great. Not quite how I picture the Yuuzhan Vong, but to each his own.

Great job.

Also, thanks for posting tutorials. It's always cool to see the an artist uses when creating a piece. Great for learning new techniques, as well.

Duke, you never cease to impress me!

-Mazz

8. Duke-Dogwalker

Sep 2, 2002
    Oh, and I posted some info on the PT rewrite thread if you want to stop by...

aha, yes... ;)

If you like drawing on photoshop maybe you should try using Adobe Illustrator

yeah, i'm more than a little familiar with that old piece of software... ;)

A "Fall of Coruscant" piece was next on my lists of projects - but I'm not even going to try now.

Don't say that Mazz, if we all said that then nobody'd get anything done! When i was first thinking of doing a 'proper' painting, as opposed to a coloured sketch, I happened to check out Blackpool's Amanaman painting, also done all in photoshop... I was so blown away by the overall quality and technique that it could have been discouraging, but instead it sort of helped inspire me to have a go myself... I knew I'd not do anything as good as that, but it was something to aim for, you know?

(though the perspective on the right one looks a tiny bit off)

lol! maybe so - I did do a very correct looking set of builings to start with when i was doing the layout... but they looked dull as dishwater! So I chucked 'em and started again, making up the perspective as i went... looks much more dramatic now! :D

Duke, you never cease to impress me!

Thanks Mazz, I appreciate that. :)

9. TheBalinakaBaroness

TheBalinakaBaroness Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    wow - ask and ye shall receive! thanks for the ever so nifty tutorials. a fascinating peek into the deep dark and red-hued recesses of duke's creative process. ;)

i liked your clever bit with the lines - taking the color layer and merging.... hey, wait! so do you have a British version of Photoshop? Does it say "colour" or "color"? ;)

oh boy. anyway. thanks for spilling your secrets along with some hapless droid blood (lubricant?)

:D
    ~bar

10. Duke-Dogwalker

Sep 2, 2002
    no probs Bar! :)

i liked your clever bit with the lines - taking the color layer and merging....

clever eh? but not really so useful with this type of painting, so i didn't bother doing it for the second one... but it is really good for stuff like the book cover for Aanix's story, where i used the original lines a bit more...

hey, wait! so do you have a British version of Photoshop? Does it say "colour" or "color"?

oi! I just spell it different each time, okay? so no jibes!!! :mad: ;)

11. Otis_Frampton

Otis_Frampton LFL Artist, Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 7, 2001
    Hey, Duke . . thanks for the great turorial! You did a bang up job.

-Otis

12. Duke-Dogwalker

Sep 2, 2002
    cheers Otis! ;)

13. Duke-Dogwalker

Sep 2, 2002
    I saw Otis' fabulous sith chick, and i was inspired so i was:

[image=http://dukdog.freeservers.com/sith_chic.jpg]

http://dukdog.freeservers.com/sith_chic.jpg

14. Aanix_Durray

Dec 29, 2001
    Awesome piece, Duke! :)

She reminds me a great deal of the "Ra" character in the original movie Stargate (not the TV series). Though the person representing the God-figure was a young male, he had some feminine qualities which I think aquaint him with your piece in my head. The costume and hairstyle seems to be a neo-Egyptian which gives her this sort of exotic mystique.

NEways, must be off :)

-~Aanix~-

15. Dark Jedi Tam

Dark Jedi Tam Jedi Padawan star 4

May 12, 2000
    Hey Duke, I don't think I've ever left a comment in your thread yet (if I have I blame this on my faulty memory *system failure* -deleting memory storage-... format C: _)

I love your work! The new image is pretty cool and I like the texturized underpainting too. Gives her more of that grungy dangerious look. :)

16. Otis_Frampton

Jan 7, 2001
    Beautiful work, Duke! Glad I could inspire, at least a little.

You should head over to the Drawing Board and add her to the mix. :D

-Otis

17. TheBalinakaBaroness

Feb 14, 2002
    very very cool picture! i really love your linework, cross-hatching whatever you want to call it style of painting. it's great!

so - we've got all kinds of sith guys, sith chicks - i'm waiting for someone to draw the sith 7 year old. ;)

~bar

18. Duke-Dogwalker

Sep 2, 2002
    Tam and Bar? The proper term would be: scribbling. 8-}

really, i'm a scribbler at heart, it just took me a while to get round to doing it in photoshop... :D

The costume and hairstyle seems to be a neo-Egyptian which gives her this sort of exotic mystique.

yay! Egyptian it is! I always loved ancient egyptian stuff... there was this evil god type thingy called the 'gobbler' who i saw a statue of in a museum when i was a kid. It scared me silly!!

and still now, all it takes is a bit of that kind of stuff to send shivers down my spine... the whole thing - the pyramids, catacombs, disturbing gods... it just does it for me!

oh and Otis, I'd would like to add it in with that stuff - i had a look at the link earlier and loved what i saw... now it's just a question of doing the hard part and registering... ;)

anyway, thanks so much for your nice words folks! :) :)

(thinking up some kind of sith seven year old now... 8-} A future challenge subject perhaps?)

19. BlackPool

BlackPool Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 29, 2000
    I like this. I especially like the thought and imagination that went into it. I am curious though, is she looking at something on the ground or are her eyes closed with her lost in thought?

20. TheBalinakaBaroness

Feb 14, 2002
    i think she lost one of her contacts.

21. Otis_Frampton

Jan 7, 2001
    Actually, I think she's checking to see if her deoderant is still working.

-Otis

22. Duke-Dogwalker

Sep 2, 2002
    humorous individuals ain't ya!

Anyway, i'm gonna answer Blackpool's serious question now, if that's alright with you guys... ;)

I had originally planned to have her holding up some chappie by his collar, ready for a be-heading, but i ended up thinking it'd just be a distraction... so i left him out!

anyway, glad you like it. :)

and thanks to the comedians too. ;)

23. TheBalinakaBaroness

Feb 14, 2002
    k - here we go. jumpin' on the Sith Chick bandwagon. i didn't wanna dig up my old thread, so i'm posting in here, since there's already the comedy... ;)

Sith Chick!

so sorry. :D
    ~Bar

24. Otis_Frampton

Jan 7, 2001
    That made me laugh so hard I feel like crying.

-Otis

25. Tarkheki

Tarkheki Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 15, 2003
    Bar, that was brilliant! :)

i didn't think i wanted to post this, but after the entire day of tormenting with it, i had to jump in too after seeeing that last one (it's no 7 year old, but same idea):

BabyMaul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.