Updated FF Rules Q&A thread

Discussion in 'FanForce Communications' started by Jedi_Dajuan, Jul 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RedneckJedi Historian, JediOKC Manager Emeritus

star 2
    That answers my question about purpose, but technically, no... it doesn't help. As written, the FanForce club membership rules do not support established Star Wars fan clubs that have outgrown the limited and antiquated forums TheForce.Net provides. That's a harsh criticism, but I'm not slamming TFN by any means... I'm merely stating a fact. These forums serve a great purpose by allowing a network for Star Wars fans, but even StarWars.com has similar content-based and region-based forums that can do the same.

As a forum admin myself, layered sub-forums add very little mass to a database and underlying code, and administration of such is quite simple. To me, adding this would be a boon to TFN and make it less necessary for clubs to search for other answers to their online socializing and planning needs.
  2. Jedi_Dajuan Admin: FanForce and Games

Administrator
    star 6
    Considering you were a mod here for a couple years you should know the limitations that we have here. The admins have no way to change the coding of the forums, only IGN or zerosleep can do that. It has nothing to do with the load it would put on the database. We have asked IGN to add in the features you are describing, but it's not a high priority for them so it hasn't been done. It's something we can't change, though we really wish we could.
  3. Allie Fox FanForce CR Macon GA US

Chapter Rep
    star 3
    This discussion is interesting to me as I am seeing more than a few forums in the Southeast disappear too. I haven't seen my own forum threatened but I also try to maintain some contact with FanForce by posting meeting announcements when I remember.

Our group, The MACON CLONES, have also moved on to our own site with a club specific messageboard but I still think it's important to check in here once in a while just to see if there have been any new folks checking us out(there has not!).

I liken FanForce to a parent that has certain rules you have to follow while you live under their roof. Eventually you grow up and move out. (Some do. This IS Star Wars we are talking about and there is no telling how many of us still live in their parents' basement ;) ). Just because we have moved out does not mean that we shouldn't have any further contact. I still see my parents every now and then.
    We have been self supporting since about six months after gaining "FanForce Status" and the message board here is rarely used for "general zaniness." But I still check in and post once in a while just to let people know the we are still around especially those who might be looking for our type of interaction.
    I don't think FanForce pries into the affairs of individual clubs. Do they? I've been CR for for five years and have only heard from each RSA about a half dozen times, if that many. I post info on the board, I've asked for our meeting info to be posted to the main page and had the design for our forum updated and personalized. That's it.

All I'm saying is. . .

Move out of FanForce's basement. Go ahead. BUT!, don't be a stranger.
  4. Jedi Trace SouthEast RSA

Manager
    star 6
    Allie Fox: Sorry to be so late in responding, but to answer your comment about moving away from TFN -

"FanForce" is an entity of FanForce.Net/TheForce.Net. Yes, it is about meeting fellow fans in your area but it is also about being part of the entire global community of FanForce.

Off-site boards are fine as long as a group does not isolate itself completely from the TFN FanForce community.

The spirit of TFN?s FanForce is to be a part of a global community of like-minded fans. If a group is not participating on their board here, then they are not a TFN FanForce - they are a local Star Wars fan club. And that?s not a bad thing. Any Star Wars fan club is a friend of mine. However, to justify the use of TFN?s free bandwidth, there are guidelines in place for maintaining TFN FanForce status.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.