main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Updated title to say there's info here about John Alvin

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by ValedaKor, Dec 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ValedaKor

ValedaKor Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    Heard from Amidala today, and it spurred me to wonder about how everyone is doing since C-IV and our good times there! Let me know how you're doing with a post on our board here!

Happy holidays and best wishes for a happy and healthy New Year! Just think, we're a few days closer to C-V :) :) :).

All the best,

Your happy moderator VK AKA Helen

2. JediJustin

JediJustin Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 17, 2006
    Hey Helen,

All is well here on the home front. My wife and I have been hitting up all the local (and not so local) Target, Wal-Mart, and Toys R Us stores for all the latest SW items and exclusives. We thought we spent a lot of $$$ on SW in 2007 - just wait till 2008 rolls around and all that new product hits retail shelves! And don't forget about all the pre-orders from GG, Sideshow, Entertainment Earth, and StarWarsShop.com.

Good thing I don't have a mortgage on my house and we don't have any children!! :D

Thanksgiving was great, and we are pumped for Christmas like we are every year (its the best time of the year, right?). The tree and all the home decorations have been up since the Friday after Thanksgiving. Just got a little more gift shopping to do and we will all set to go.

I hope everybody here who frequents this board has a great holiday season and is equally excited as I am about the future of SW and what lays on the horizon!!

Justin

3. Amidala081499

Amidala081499 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 13, 2003
    It is wonderful that the three of us are still alive and well. Having not filed bankruptcy from all the Star Wars items comming out and all.

We are doing well, busy but well. Things have been maddening around here since the padawan was born in July. Three kids 3 and under is one hard job ill tell ya. Just having a moment to breath is hard to find...lol.

The decorations are up inside and out and all i have left is some baking and the tree. I have been on the prowl for some Star Wras ornaments, for we decided to make the tree sci fi this year, forget what the family has to say...they all think we are nuts...lol. My son is getting a boatload of Star Wars stuff for Christmas, including and OTC Falcon and an POTF AT-AT. He is going to go nuts come Christmas morning.

Hey Justin, if there is anything special you and your wife are looking for and cant find it, let me know and I will keep and eye open around here for you. Never hurts to have an extra set of eyes. Just let me know, you have my email addy.

Well, everyone have a great holiday season and a Happy New Year. May peace and joy be part of everyones lives and that everyoneis blessed for years to come. Also, pray for the soldiers abroad, that they are kept safe and sane!!!

Love ya everyone...

4. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Well, the balance in my savings account is at pre-May levels at this point. I've taken this to be such a terrible thing that I've decided to start buying tickets for more cons immediately. :p

5. Grumpy_Jedi

Grumpy_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2006
    Things are swell. =) I think Pwinklespi has sworn off Star Wars. LOL! He's been seen muttering to himself something about Lucas and a sock puppet. Not sure what that means.

--GJ--

6. pwinklespi

pwinklespi Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 30, 2004
    I saw Grumpy last week. I was trying to walk by and ignore him, but he kept waving his tin can in my face begging for money. The smell of urine was so bad I had to give him something just to get rid of him.

Merry Christmas everyone.

7. Grumpy_Jedi

Jun 2, 2006
    Web stalker!!!

Yes, Merry Christmas to everyone. Any news about CV? I figure I'll start planning now then cancel a week before like last time. LOL!

8. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    Great to see everybody! This is terrific.

Nope, haven't heard a word about C-V. Guess LFL is gearing up for all the big game releases and filming Indy LOL.

9. JediJustin

Aug 17, 2006
    Yup, the regular gang's all here!

I'm really hoping we hear the official C5 announcement sometime next summer. I'm chomping at the bit waiting for any little tidbits of news that is revealed.

- Justin

10. Grumpy_Jedi

Jun 2, 2006
    That Force Unleashed game looks incredible. I can't wait.

11. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    You guys must forgive me :) but I know nothing about these games. Are these going to be the "be all and end all" of videogames? And is this going to take up all LFL's time so they can't hurry up with the animation and live action shows already??!!!??? ;)

12. JediJustin

Aug 17, 2006
    Me neither, GJ. I have been eagerly anticipating this game since it was first announced a year ago. I've held off my PS3 purchase just for this game. The panel that they had at CIV as well as all of the video documentaries on StarWars.com really have me convinced that TFU will indeed be the next official chapter in the SW saga. It takes places during such an interesting time period in the saga, and we are going to be in for a real treat.

- Justin

13. Grumpy_Jedi

Jun 2, 2006
    Yeah, not only does it just look like a good game, but from what I understand, Lucas is using a new type of technology that I'm not sure I understand. All I know is that the movements in the game look remarkebly natural in ways that no one has been able to do so far. Don't get me wrong, some games look great, but in this particular game they've been able to reproduce the way a body moves. Each joint, each limb moves independatly from one another yet affected by each other the way a person or animal actually moves. Check out the trailer for it. I don't have a link handy.. maybe Justin does. I'm sure a quick Google search would turn it up.

And Justin, don't hold off on getting a PS3...the Blu-ray player alone is worth the $400. There have been rumors going around for some time now about all 6 Star Wars films coming out on Blu-Ray... should be fantastic.

14. JediJustin

Aug 17, 2006
    GJ, the new technology that TFU will be utilizing is called DMM (Digital Molecular Matter). Is allows for items to move within the game independently of other items. It also gives items "real world" properties, such as wood splintering and glass shattering.

Here is the link: http://lucasarts.com/games/theforceunleashed/gameinfo/news/technology.html

Oh when I said I was holding off on getting a PS3, I meant I wanted to get the system and the TFU game at the same time. That way I can christen my PS3 with TFU right from the get-go. I've also held off because the price keeps coming down, and after the Christmas season it might drop even a little bit more. I haven't had a dire need to get a PS3 before TFU is released, so late March (when TFU is released) is when I will purchase my PS3.

And rest assured I will be the first on line standing outside my local Best Buy on the day that the complete SW saga is released on Blu-Ray. =D=

- Justin

15. Amidala081499

Sep 13, 2003
    Ok, I am a retard when it comes to technology...lol, and yes I am a Star Wars nerd...lol, what an oxymoron. Anyway, what is the difference between a regular dvd and a blue-ray one?

-Connie

16. JediJustin

Aug 17, 2006
    Hey Connie - standard DVD's have a resolution of 480i, also known as 720x480 pixel resolution. We all know how crisp a well-produced DVD image is.

However, a Blu-ray high definition DVD has a resolution 1080p, also known as 1920x1080 pixel resolution. As you can see by the increased pixel count, Blu-Ray DVD's have a much sharper and clearer image than standard definition DVD's. In addition, Blu-Ray DVD's have uncompressed audio soundtracks on them, making for a more immersive and expansive sound quality to the movie you are watching. A Blu-Ray soundtrack will make your home theater speakers roar and your subwoofer boom like nothing you have ever heard before.

To put it in a non-technical manner, just look at the display resolution on your computer monitor. Try messing around with the different screen resolution settings and you'll see exactly what I mean (right-click on your Desktop, select Properties, and click the Settings tab). Higher resolution settings make your computer screen look sharper and clearer - lower resolution settings make the images blurry and not as detailed.

In a nutshell: Get a Blu-Ray high definition player and wait for the Saga to be released on Blu-Ray. The experience will blow you away!

- Justin

17. Grumpy_Jedi

Jun 2, 2006
    There are a ton of excellent BR movies out already... to me, the PS3 would be worth having even if it didn't play games. LOL!

So what else have you Star Wars geeks been up to? Getting or asking for anything SW related for Christmas?

18. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    I'm keeping up with the books (although I don't like the direction they've taken AT ALL) and the comics. That's about it these days, for me. No Padme stuff means no $$ spending on anything else.

19. Grumpy_Jedi

Jun 2, 2006
    I used to read the comics but gave them up. Rebellion didn't come out regularly enough to hold my interest and I wasn't liking Legacy or Republic was just too far out there. I haven't read a SW novel in a long time. I was a big fan of the original SW books.. the Han Solo and later the Lando series. Spliter too.. those were good. I liked the darkness associated with them. I also liked Shadow... but the others... not a big fan.

20. Amidala081499

Sep 13, 2003
    Thank you Justin for answering my question. I guess I will have to add another technological item to my already long Christmas list. My list is polluted this year with Star Wars stuff galore. My family makes fun of me for 2 reasons. One, I am a girl and they dont think Star Wars is very ladylike...geesh, and two because I still want toys for Christmas and I am 31. I tell them all the time that I do not play with the toys I put them in my Star Wars collection, that it is a very fun hobby of mine, but they still dont see it. Yet, it is ok for me to get Barbies, makes no sense. To collect a doll and to collect Star Wars stuff is on the same level to me. Oh well, at least I did not ask for something boring, like a blender or something...lol.

I just got to work doing my sons bedroom. He did have a Snoopy room since he was a baby and he recently asked me to change it to Star Wars. As soon as I am finished I may post a few pics for everyone to see. I need a mannequin though. My hubby and I made a Vader costume from scratch a few years back, for C3, and we wanted to place it on a mannequin in the sons room. That way he hs a lifesized Vader in his room. Wonder if they throw anything like that away at department stores?

I see that Val mentioned books. Once the holiday season is over I hope to get back to some reading myself. I asked for a few Star Wars books for Christmas. Two Vader books to be exact. The one is called The Rise and Fall of Darth Vader, a short book over the life of Anakin, and I asked for Dark Lord Rising, the book in between Eps. 3 and 4. I hope they are good.

Ok, enough now, I could go on and on...lol

Hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas!!! I miss everyone!!!

-Connie

21. AmmersVI

AmmersVI Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 25, 2005
    Amidala, what do you mean 'Star Wars isn't lady like' I have no idea of the concept being a lady myself. :p I think that one thing Celebration IV proved is that Star Wars is just as popular with women as it is with men! We rock!!! Isn't that right Helen? LOL!

I agree with you all there are a lot of exciting things coming out for next year in the Star Wars Universe. I just wish one of them would be CV!

22. Amidala081499

Sep 13, 2003
    LOL...Oh I agree with you Ammers, girls did rule at C4. My parents are very old fashioned and believe I should be reading romance novels and watching movies like The Notebook...lol. They do not think women fighting with a lightsaber is lady-like. Well, its not, its fracken awesome...lol. I could care less what they say, as far as they are concerned I live in an imaginary world where I believe Star Wars actually exists. I think they are the ones in denial, because last I looked out my window, on this blustery cold morning, I saw a Wampa...so, to heck with them.

Us Star Wars girls gotts stick together...

Love ya all!!!

-Connie

23. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    Your attitude's the best, Connie! I think, sometimes, we can all see a Wampa when we look outside :cool:.

Although, you'd be hard pressed to find him in this neighborhood:

[image=http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b52/ValedaKor/Backyard2.jpg]

Not enough snow, eh? LOL That's the view in my backyard from about a week ago. Yes, that is frozen rain on those mountains. (I know, you folks back east and in the midwest - big whoop.) But hey - snow and palm trees. Ya gotta love California :) :) :).

24. pwinklespi

pwinklespi Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 30, 2004
    I'm still trying to find the latest Last of the Jedi. It's been way too long since that last one hit bookshelves.

25. Amidala081499

Sep 13, 2003
    Ok Val, I am jealous. It is so dang cold here, and that pic looks so inviting right now. Those mountains are very geogeous, what a sight to see from your backyard.

Hey pwinkle, try ebay, that is were I buy alot of my books because they are not as expensive as in the stores. Hope that helps.

So, is anyone having a Star Wars Christmas? Ornaments, Stockings, Cards? I will have to post this awesome image the hubby found, we used it on our cards this year. How do you post an image in the actual thread? I only mastered it once...lol.

-Connie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.