main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Buff, NY Updates to TheNorthRidge.com?

Discussion in 'Buffalo, NY' started by BPStoyle, Jan 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BPStoyle

BPStoyle Social Media Admin star 4

Jan 5, 2010
    I don't know how pressing this may be, but it might be time to look at some possible improvements to the main website.

I think Ken's done a great job for us, but the site could definitely use a few tweaks here and there just to keep it looking current.

2. BigDanLevitan

BigDanLevitan Jedi Master star 5

Jun 26, 2005
    I know I've been putting together the list of pics to update the site as well as updated member list as well. I know that the last time I went to the site some of the links didn't work.

What kind of suggestions do you have BP? I can email Ken and see if he has time to implement them.

3. Mother_of_the_Twins

Mother_of_the_Twins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 8, 2005
    My suggestion: the 'Game Night' crawler.

4. BobaChris12

BobaChris12 Former RSA star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 30, 2002

On www.thenorthridge.com?

Sorry, just like others, I've had things going on that required more attention from me rather than changing a scroll. :mad:

5. BobaChris12

Aug 30, 2002
    Good point Bryan! I have a running list of some changes we should make, starting with the navigation links. I've had a few people tell me that they're not working on the top of the page, but working on the bottom.

6. BPStoyle

Jan 5, 2010
    The two biggest things that bug me on the site are:

The top bar on the pages that show the little thumbnails of all of the site's pages look and act like links (they even change color when you scroll over them), yet they aren't links. This would make a great link bar since it's at the top of the page.

The cursor is inconsistent. Personally, I'm not a fan of the cursor choices (it's confusing; on most pages the standard cursor shape is the "link-hand-about-to-click" unless you actually hover over a link and then it turns into a crosshair -- just seems a little too 1990s webpage to me. I don't mind the crosshair that much but using the hand when it's not a link can be very confusing to people who are used to associating that cursor image with hyperlinks), but the biggest issue is the cursor choices aren't the same on every page. Some actually do retain the normal "arrow" cursor.

Nitty-gritty things:

In the links section at the bottom, I dont' think we really need a link to the Intro page. It's a cool intro page but once you're at the site there's no real reason to revisit the flash intro page.

The "Honorary Members" page could use a tiny update, since our section of "New/Recent" honorary members are all from 2008 now. The page is also missing the links to get to any other page on the site. Additionally, the page's title reads "New Page 1" in my browser instead of something like "Honorary Members".

A lot of member profiles are people who haven't been around in a long time. I dunno if its worth looking to see if these folks are still interested or what. Also, couldn't hurt to get some of our new blood up on there. Perhaps update more recent pictures & costume listings for the current members as well.

Obviously, whenever we get around to it, pictures from more recent events.

We still have the "Hope for a Cure" Patch page up.

The "Contact" and "Join Us" pages could probably be combined, as they are basically the same form.

The "Credits & Tracemarks" page could probably be removed, with its content just put as a blurb at the very bottom of the Main Page.

7. JediXXL

JediXXL Force Ghost star 6

Apr 11, 2003
    Some of the links on the member page need updating.

The Rebel Legion logo points to ".org" but needs to point to the same link at ".com"

The member name hyperlinks do not point to that particular members profile

8. BigDanLevitan

Jun 26, 2005
    I know I wanted to have him update the Honorary members section as well as the main page members.

I will shoot Ken an email when I get home and see if he can fix some of the issues.

As far as old profiles of people we haven't seen, I will email the folks and then have the ones that aren't interested or I don't here from removed.

Which leads to, newer members if you want on the main page I need you to check out the main site and create a bio and pm it to me. (This was in the first post of the contact list thread)

As far as the links, I will have him update them as well.

If Ken doesn't have the time maybe he could grant either Chris or myself the access for us to do it ourselves.

I'm sure it won't happen overnight but its a start.

9. BPStoyle

Jan 5, 2010
    Certainly don't expect anything overnight. Nor do I expect every suggestion to be heeded.

We should probably add a blurb on our Facebook page about the Winterfest this weekend, too. couldn't hurt at least.

10. BPStoyle

Jan 5, 2010
    For the new members (and old ones who haven't done this), the profile for the members page is below. Feel free to check out the current profiles on the Members page to get an idea of what others have written.

Name:
    Screen Name:
    Costumes:
    About Me:
    Favorite Events Attended:
    Memories:

11. BigDanLevitan

Jun 26, 2005
    Thank you Bryan for posting the info and the links regarding profiles.

12. BPStoyle

Jan 5, 2010
    No prob. I may actually update my bio a bit, since it feels kind of outdated to me.

13. starwarsarmboy

starwarsarmboy Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 9, 2002
    I think we should put in the 'Game Night' crawler.

14. JediXXL

JediXXL Force Ghost star 6

Apr 11, 2003
    I like the new crawl. [face_laugh]

15. WookieeJedi

WookieeJedi Merchandise Coordinator/North Ridge Diplomat star 4

Jun 15, 2009
    I already submitted my profile info to Chris with pics but wouldn't mind doing some minor changes.

16. BPStoyle

Jan 5, 2010
    Here's my updated bio, for whenever the site can get updated:

Name: Bryan Patrick Stoyle
    Screen Name: BPStoyle
    Costumes: Luke Skywalker, Rebel Pilot Luke

About Me: Working as (among other things) an actor in the Western NY area.

Favorite Events Attended: Our annual ?Star Wars Night? with the Buffalo Bisons gets bigger and better every year. It?s great to see something like ?Star Wars? is able to bring so many different types of people together, and this event truly shows that. There will be hardcore fans, casual fans, and little children with their families all packed into a sold-out ballpark sharing their appreciation for the saga. The enthusiasm from everyone, from The North Ridge members to the fans to the Bisons? staff has been tremendous, and always makes that event special.

Memories: I first got into Star Wars during the summer of 1996, after my younger brother and cousin had become fans; they finally sat me down to watch the Original Trilogy. I found the North Ridge after my freshman year of college. It?s great to have a group to share a mutual interest, and to show how Star Wars can have different impacts on different people.

17. Otto_den_Ktulu

Otto_den_Ktulu North Ridge Event Coordinator star 5

Jan 19, 2002
    Name: Chris Ballard
    Screen Name: Otto_den_Ktulu
    Costumes: Sith
    Positions Held: Member
    About Me: Working as a theatre technician in Buffalo Theatre, also Shipping Coordinator for Katz Americas, a printing company that makes pulpboard cup coasters. I used to be a member/president of the Rochester Rebellion Fan Force in Rochester, NY. This was while I was in high school. I attended college at Niagara University, and joined the North Ridge because of my location change. I'm recently married and my wife and I are staying in the Buffalo area, so I plan on being a part of the North Ridge for a good long while.
    Favorite Events Attended: To date my favorite event was the softball tournament in the Fall of 2004 in St. Catherines ON
    Memories: I've always known Star Wars, and it has played a pivotal part in shaping who I am today.

18. BPStoyle

Jan 5, 2010
  19. JediKnightLisa

JediKnightLisa Jedi Master star 4

Oct 12, 2002
    Rob needs a photo. If you need one of the imp dig. let me know. Even though the slug is pretty.... [face_laugh]

I need a much needed updated photo.

Also add to favorite memories: The Bisons' Star Wars Day duels have been an absolutely amazing opportunity and an event I look forward to every year.

20. Astromech-R2

Astromech-R2 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 14, 2002
    Name: Matt Surowiec
    Screen Name: Astromech-R2
    Costumes: Cantina Band Member
    Positions Held: Member
    About Me: By day, I'm a mild mannered computer technician/software engineer. On nights and weekends, I become alter ego MATT JAMES, performing music for family and children's events.
    Favorite Events Attended: The Clone Wars premiere at Walden Galleria, Weekend on the Niagara
    Memories: "I don't seem to recall ever owning a droid." Star Wars has been a large part of my life since 1977 - The "Holy Trilogy" is my favorite movie series of all time. My Mom took me to the late show at the Holiday Theater because she couldn't get tickets for an earlier show. I still have the poster I got free with purchase of a Coke when I saw Empire. The day I saw Return of the Jedi, I got two Ewok toys from Woolworths and got sick in the parking lot of Santoro's Pizza.
    Fast forward 10 years - I met Chris for the first time at the Guns N Roses/Metallica concert, though we didn't realize it until a few years later when we reconnected at Wegmans. I'm happy to participate in the group when I have time away from the padawans - its great to find people with common appreciation for SW!

21. Loseytwin12

Loseytwin12 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 14, 2010
    Can I get a thingy on the members page on the website? I wants one

22. Loseytwin12

Loseytwin12 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 14, 2010
    Name: Steve Losey
    Screen Name: Loseytwin12
    Costumes: Luke Skywalker (Dagobah Training)
    Positions Held: n/a?
    About Me: It all started in late 1997, I was 3 at the time, and my cousin showed my brother and I the trilogy. It blew my mind. My fanhood developed throughout the years, and I'm proud to be obsessed. When it comes to the NR, I saw them way back in 2005, at BPO. I 've wanted to join since then, but I never got any info for it. I've been to Celebration IV, and am going to CV as well. My favorite film is either Star Wars or ESB. I'm the over-enthusiast of the club.
    Favorite Events Attended: CIV, BPO(not a member), and Star Wars Bisons Night(not a member)
    Memories: Meeting Carrie Fisher at CIV and being speechless. Watching Star Wars for the first time.

23. WookieeJedi

Jun 15, 2009
    Yeah good luck.... I sent my info in almost a year ago and still have not been added. LOL:D

24. BobaChris12

Aug 30, 2002

Ok ok.....I can take a hint.

Please EMAIL any bios to me. It's much easier to forward them to Ken rather than cut & paste.

25. WookieeJedi

Jun 15, 2009
    OK Bio and Pics sent to your yahoo email there Fearless leader. AGAIN:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.