main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Upon My Young Shoulders (Vignette; Response to "The First Day" Challenge)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Gina, Mar 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gina

Gina Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 3, 2003
    Title: Upon My Young Shoulders
    Genre: Vignette, Response to "The First Day" Challenge
    Characters: Padmé
    Timeframe: Shortly before TPM
    Summary: On her coronation day as Queen of Naboo, a nervous Padmé reflects on the importance of her office.

Upon My Young Shoulders

I sit alone in my private chamber, staring intently at the face I see in the mirror before me, and I am reduced to silent amazement. For this is not the countenance I have grown accustomed to seeing over my fourteen standard years of life. The woman now peering back at me as I gaze upon my reflection is a stranger.

Yet she is the woman I am to become.

Gingerly, almost reverently, I touch my fingertips to the stark, white face paint that has rendered me virtually unrecognizable. I turn my face slowly, searching for even the slightest hint of familiarity in my profile, but my efforts are in vain. It is impossible to see the young girl beneath this regal façade.

And that is most fortunate, I think to myself wryly.

What would the people gathered outside the palace waiting to welcome their new Queen say if they could see the child beneath this mask of white now? If they could see her nervousness, sense her fear and uncertainty, would they still affirm their decision?

A sudden burst of laughter emanating from the other room breaks my reverie, and my eyes instinctively move to the closed doorway that is reflected on the mirror's edge. Seeing no movement, however, I relax, releasing the breath I didn't realize I had been holding.

Earlier, growing increasingly anxious at their constant adjustments to my appearance and hurried whispers of well-meaning advice, I had sent my newly appointed handmaidens, along with my tearful mother, away to my outer chamber with the explanation that I desired a moment to myself before the ceremony.

Now I can hear the young women, their lively voices echoing beyond the doorway as they speculate wildly about what color and style of expensive frocks the more fashionable dignitaries will be wearing and which eligible young gentlemen will be inclined to dancing at the coronation ball.

I cannot help but feel a moment's envy at their carefree laughter and their freedom from worry.

A wisp of a smile touches my lips as I imagine my mother seated quietly on the other side of that doorway, listening politely to the handmaidens' chatter, her face beaming with joy and quiet pride. Not the pride born of arrogance, but the loving, nurturing pride a mother always holds for her child. I picture her hands clasped tightly in her lap, no doubt cradling the smooth heart-stone within their protective hold, the same token of love I gave her when I was a young child.

I was only four when I found the treasure while playing at the lake's edge. I was skipping stones with Sola, and as I bent down, searching for the perfect rock to send skimming across the water's glassy surface, my gaze fell upon a small, white stone, shaped roughly in the form of a heart.

"For Mama," I had said excitedly as I showed it to my sister, but Sola had merely shrugged her shoulders in disinterest.

Undaunted, I ran to the nearby picnic blanket where my mother sat, watching us play, and proudly held out my pudgy, dirt-smudged fist. Giggling with childish delight, I opened my fingers to reveal the present I had for her. My mother took it, holding it up to the sunlight and declaring that it was the most beautiful surprise she had ever received. Then she hugged me tightly, not caring in the slightest that my mud-soaked dress would stain her clothes.

I forgot about the stone after that day. Then several years later, I was seated beside my mother at her dressing table, watching her prepare for an evening out with my father. She opened the box where she kept her most precious mementos and lying next to my grandmother's brooch, I saw the stone. My mother noticed my surprise. Smiling, she picked up the stone, holding it lovingly in her palm as she told me that she had indeed

2. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Gina, that was lovely. The story of Padme giving her mother the stone was so heartfelt. I love the emotions this stirs in me. Awesome viggie!

3. Anakin Starkiller

Anakin Starkiller Jedi Master star 1

Jun 13, 1999
    I really enjoyed this piece a great deal Excellent choice for the challenge.

I too, enjoyed the bit with the stone heart, and the refrence to it as a talisman. This is of course mirrored in a gift she will recieve while queen from a little boy.

I also liked the inclusion of the "cut sister", Sola.

But thinking she had a first day as Queen, the day before just being Padme Naberrie, and today being Queen Amidala, I wonder what the campaign trail for a Naboo Queen is like. Did she have to give stump speeches? Did she advertise on television? Did her opponants fling mud?

I think there is germ here for another story about that.

4. SabyneAmberle

SabyneAmberle Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 16, 2004
    Excellent story! Padme/Queen Amidala is one of my favorite characters, and this was a great story of her coronation day!!!

5. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Gina that was beautiful. You did a wonderful job portraying Padme as being nervous yet willing to accept the burden of the crown. Excellent job in getting inside Padme's head!

6. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Sweet job!! I too loved the part dealing with the stone! [face_love] and she forgot about it ;) Ahhh but mums never do! Even the trivial things that we take for granted usually aren't by our parents! *Warm fuzzies*

Excellent job with the emotional musings! Loved how she was worried, but willingly to take the burdon of the crown to do her best for the people. :D

7. Arin_Atona

Arin_Atona Jedi Master star 4

Jul 10, 2004
    I can't say I'm a Padme fan, but this was quite well. It's hard to think of a kid that young being placed into that kind of role.

I got a giggle out of thinking about her posture not being from training... but just to keep her from falling over.

8. tangled_sphere

tangled_sphere Jedi Master star 4

Dec 28, 2003
    Absolutely beautiful Gina, you've captured that first day so well, the details are wonderful, the weight of the head dress and the white paint hiding the scared little girl.

Also really liked the touch of the stone Padme found and gave to her mother, who didn't care that she was soaked in mud. Beautiful!

9. Jedikma

Jedikma Jedi Master star 4

Feb 5, 2004
    Beautiful, Gina!!!

I am always impressed by the little details you put in your stories. The heart shaped stone is so sweet and so much like what a child would do and a doting mother, too. :)

I also really liked the parts about the cumbersome headpiece and how it effected her posture.

Your descriptions are always so lovely. :)

Well done!!! :)

10. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Another masterpiece! You always write Padme so well. Something I envy since I find her so difficult to write. Lovely. What more can I say?

11. Gina

Gina Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 3, 2003
    Healer_Leona

Thank you. [face_blush] That's very kind.

Anakin Starkiller

Thank you. :) I'm glad you enjoyed reading it.

I wonder what the campaign trail for a Naboo Queen is like. Did she have to give stump speeches? Did she advertise on television? Did her opponants fling mud?

I think there is germ here for another story about that.

Yes, that does cause all sorts of plot bunnies to start hopping around, doesn't it! ;)

SabyneAmberle

Thank you very much. :D She is one of my favorite characters as well.

Layren

Excellent job in getting inside Padme's head!

Thank you. [face_blush] Characterization is important to me, so I appreciate the compliment! :)

Kynstar

Thanks! :D

I too loved the part dealing with the stone! and she forgot about it Ahhh but mums never do! Even the trivial things that we take for granted usually aren't by our parents! *Warm fuzzies*

No, mothers never forget. My husband gives me a hard time because I keep basically every drawing or gift my sons have ever made for me. I just can't bear to throw them away.

Arin_Atona

I can't say I'm a Padme fan, but this was quite well. It's hard to think of a kid that young being placed into that kind of role.

Thank you. :) That's what has always intrigued me about the character, the idea that someone so young had so much responsibility placed upon her.

I got a giggle out of thinking about her posture not being from training... but just to keep her from falling over.

LOL! Thanks.

tangled_sphere

Thank you. [face_blush] Your review was so kind.

Jedikma

I am always impressed by the little details you put in your stories.

Thank you. [face_blush] I appreciate that!

VaderLVR64

Thank you. [face_blush]

You always write Padme so well. Something I envy since I find her so difficult to write.

Thanks, K. However, I have yet to find a character you are unable to write beautifully. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.