main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:NZ URGENT! Brainstorm required

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by SWNZ, Oct 24, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SWNZ

SWNZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    I've been given the option to change our Forum name. (on the main link into the NZ forum)

Currently it just says "Fan Force Chapter: Star Wars New Zealand"

Just post some ideas then i'll create a poll and we can have a vote.

Example: (Pittsburg USA)
    FanForce Chapter: "Steel City Jedi Knights: Three Rivers, One Force"

-------------
    Also is everyone happy with our colour schemes, banners and purdy little extras. We can get these changed too if you want. Feedback would be cool :)

2. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Something to do with our extremity on the earth...

ie. tie in "Outer Rim" or similar

Or to do with the amount of ocean we're surrounded by...

by referencing the Mon Calamari planet

Or maybe use "triple star" from our National anthem... ties in nicely with the binary suns of Tatooine.

Or "New Zealand - where you can see Tem Morrison at New World" ;)

If I think of anything else that could be used as a springboard for ideas, I'll post 'em.

3. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    >> Also is everyone happy with our colour schemes, banners and purdy little extras. We can get these changed too if you want. Feedback would be cool <<

While I have no problem with the current setup, NZ actors in Ep2 costume would be awesome - Daniel Logan, Tem Morrison, Rena Owen (I know she's CG), and Ian Watkin (?) among others. A tuatara doubling as the Reek would be funny.

Can I make a mock up of what I've just described?

EDIT; Jay Laga'aia and Marton Csokas too!

4. Kitt327

Kitt327 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    Cool ideas. Something like 'the Outer rim's triple star' would be nice.

Nah, wait, 'where you can see Tem Morrison at New World!!!!!' That rocks! :D Let's show those Aussie's who has the most actors in Ep 2!

5. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Course I did see Tem at the local New World (Devonport, AKL) about 2 months back. He has a house in Devonport, I believe.

I like how NZers just leave our "stars" alone.

Hey that's an idea "triple stars" on our (possible) new banner- could tie in with Tem, Daniel Logan & Jay Laga'aia :D

The other actors aren't seen in Ep2 anyway (Csokas, Owen, Watkin) they're either CG or suits. Well, I'm not sure about Ian Watkin, his face may be seen. but he has a minor role anyway, not like he's a star!

OK so a new slogan, something like

FanForce: -New Zealand- "The Outer Rim's Triple Stars"

Then the new banner would feature the slogan, plus a montage of Jay, Tem & Daniel, with maybe a Star Warsey background made up of NZ scenery, plus a Tuatara looking like a Reek or a Krayt Dragon or something.

I'm dying to go home and make a mockup of the banner (even if it's not used on this page), still sounds like fun. I will have a go at this tonight, I think!

6. Chansplace

Chansplace Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2001
    heres a couple of ideas:

Rogue Kiwis
    Kiwi Squadron

7. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    or... K1-W1 Squadron :p

(in Star Wars "written out in full" stylee - Kay-one Doubleyou-one Squadron)

- Imagining a leaning-forward astromech, with a kiwi-like "beak" sticking out of its dome! -

8. Humble extra

Humble extra Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 12, 1999
    howabout a play on the nuclear free thing maybe?

Fanforce NZ: South Pacific Sith Free Zone

oh, think the idea of having our stars is good

9. Norrad_Roff

Norrad_Roff Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2001
    Like the "Triple star" idea.

How about FanForce NZ: The bright centre of the universe.

Could substitute universe for galaxy or something like that. After all, everything revolves around Aotearoa.

10. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Another cool tie in with utilising the phrase "triple star" somehow in our name/slogan-

(over and above the NZ National anthem / 3 islands, the Tem/Jay/Daniel AOTC "Stars", "Star" as in Star Wars tie-in, and <phew> Triple as a tie-in with the fact these movies are sets of trilogies)

- is that the closest triple star system to the earth is Alpha Centuri - a nice nod to our VIP Chansplace! :D

http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/ask_astro/answers/970717b.html

Alpha Centauri: Visible only from latitudes south of about 25 degrees N, the star we call Alpha Centauri lies 4.35 light-years from the Sun. But it is actually a triple star system. The two brightest components Alpha Centauri A and B form a binary. They orbit each other in 80 years with a mean separation of 23 astronomical units (1 astronomical unit = 1 AU = distance between the Sun and Earth). The third member of the system Alpha Centauri C lies 13,000 AU from A and B, or 400 times the distance between the Sun and Neptune. This is so far that it is not known whether Alpha Centauri C is really bound to A and B, or if it will have left the system in some million years. Alpha Centauri C lies measurably closer to us than the other two: It is only 4.22 light-years away, and it is the nearest individual star to the Sun. Because of this proximity, Alpha Centauri C is also called Proxima (Centauri).

11. SWNZ

SWNZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    Hey they are some really cool ideas, I'm liking the triple star and Tem at New world ones. Hate to burst your bubble but Outer rim has been taken. That's Western Australia's name.

A kiwi actor banner would be great, start working on some ideas and get as many usable pics as possible. We'll try come up with something.

Sweet keep it up.

ASIDE:
    I so like the Tem at new world one, I could just about get that put up right now. :D

12. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Seeing the outer rim tag is out, a further play on the line from our National Anthem could work (could tie in with Chansplace's ideas too)...

FanForce NZ: Kiwi Squadron; Guardians of the Triple Stars. / Guards of the Triple Stars. / Triple Star Guardians

(from "Guard Pacific's Triple Star", obviously, in the National Anthem)

Personally though I think "kiwi" has been done to death. Most people around the world think a kiwi is a kiwifruit anyway.

But we're making good progress, and it would be great to be able to utilise lots of people's ideas til we get it just right!

Hmmmm. there's always the lame ass route used by all NZ sports teams;

"The Black Sabers", anyone ;) lol

SWNZ, I definitely will have a play with a concept for a new banner tonight... only 40 mins til knock-off time.

13. Kitt327

Kitt327 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    The All Black sabers? :D

It's true what you said earlier about New Zealanders and their celebrities. I saw David Tua and Queen's Arcade plaza the other Friday night, and know one was hassling him. heh heh, I guess they wouldn't want to risk their life.

14. Buzz-Bumble

Buzz-Bumble Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    How about going ith the obvious ...

The New Zealand LotR Collectors Club

:D

15. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    :p :D

hehe

the triple star one is good, rather than a kiwi or black sabers one!

16. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    OK - it's a bit rough as I wanted to get something up tonight while I was inspired, but this is the sort of banner I had in mind to tie in with the Triple Star motif.

[image=http://www.hansen.net.nz/skins/jp-banner1.jpg]

Obviously there's still lots of discussion on the name-change etc to go before we might consider a new banner - I just felt like capturing my thoughts visually...

17. SWNZ

SWNZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    :D That's pretty funny, I like the Tuatara eating a weta, and the buzzy bees.

It's a funny thing though all this triple star talk and I just realise we've got four of them on our flag. Call me ignorant but could someone fill in the gaps?

18. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    "Triple Star" in the national anthem refer's to Pacific's triple star - North Island, South Island, Stewart Island.

The cool thing is in the Southern Cross (which is what our the 4 stars on our flag represent) is Alpha Centauri - the very real triple-star sysem I described in blue a few posts back (well, actually Alpha Centauri is one of the "pointers", but that's close enough!)

In the banner mockup, you can see the southern cross just to the left of Tem.

If we were to do a banner along the lines of my rough concept above, the skyline (which ends with Mitre Peak on the right) would shilouette NZ landmarks - Beehive, giant L&P bottle, Big Carrot etc. Just didn't have time to implement that last night.

EDIT: More to this Triple Star thing than meet the eye (ear?);

Check this link

If the above doesn't work, try cutting and pasting these variations;

http://www.rfcadet.org.nz/Information/Flag Data.html

http://www.rfcadet.org.nz/Information/Flag%20Data.html

(the url has a space in it which corrupts the address in some browsers)

Te Kooti's Triple Starred Flag here (see above link for how this relates to the National Anthem)

19. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    ( I bet you never knew Star Wars could be so educational! ;) )

20. Humble extra

Jun 12, 1999
    i kinda like the Triple Star thingy, not so keen on kiwi squadron, or if you must have that don't combine them..............just seems a little cumbersome, unless you can incorporate Alpha Centuri into it, thats one of my favourite games

anyway thats my 2c,

21. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    The banner mockup I made didn't use "Kiwi Squadron" etc for that very reason.

But I don't want it to look like I'm somehow railroading this discussion, and dismissing others ideas and ploughing ahead with my own slogan and banner at the expense of everyone elses ideas!

Far from it...

22. farmboynz

farmboynz Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 19, 2001
    Like the triple star idea

maybe something that incorporated "Aotearoa, land of the long white cloud" also
    now just have to think of a few names.

23. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Hey Farmboy

I like the Aotearoa idea - nice to get some Maori influence in there (to go along with our Tem & Daniel).

"Land of the long white cloud" is a term I've not heard for many years - it's the translation for "Aotearoa" isn't it?

The only thing with "land of..." is that it doesn't really have any Star Wars significance.

"Land of the long white cloud city" on the other hand ;)

24. Humble extra

Jun 12, 1999
    well in my opinion those who can be bothered actually doing the physical work get more say than those of us who sit back and offer advice, i'll support what ever gets up there in the end, but i won't necesairly tattoo it on my forehead

as for the aotearoa thing, well, personally i prefer NZ, and thats how others from other countries know us too, maybe it would be confusing to them, of course that depends on who we are really making the name for, them or us?

25. SWNZ

SWNZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    Well you learn something new everyday.
    I guess Chansplace will be happy with all this Centauri discussion :D

Well i'm off, I don't have a PC at home at the moment so I'll just have to do some brainstorming instead.

Have a good one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.