main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Women's Football/Soccer - Official Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by heels1785 , Jun 8, 2015.

1. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    [​IMG]

Locked the old thread up, this will be for discussion of the tournament this year.

Currently Sweden and Nigeria are in a tight battle, and the United States faces the fighting Ender Sais this evening in their "group of death." US brings a loaded club this year, with Wambach, Morgan, Rapinoe, and Carli Lloyd, but they have many rivals who could present challenges.

Enjoy.

2. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I'm so beyond excited for the World Cup.

It's got the potential to deliver what last year's Men's World Cup didn't - a host vs. border rival knockout round game. Everything Brazil-Argentina could have been is what USA-Canada could be. Especially with what happened between USA and Canada in the Olympics.

I'm a little worried about USA, especially with the Hope Solo situation. Hope it doesn't prove to be a distraction.

And, heels? You left Syndey Leroux off your USA stars list? For shame!

3. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Augh. I did. She may be the best player on the team.

Alex Morgan's health is where it's at. On this disgraceful turf.

Edit - this Nigeria-Sweden game is AWESOME!

4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    [​IMG]

Bring it.

Juliet316 likes this.
  5. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    ALRIGHT LETS DO THIS

[​IMG]'

Edit- MONSTER SAVE HOPE SOLO!

6. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Solo - 9/10
    Monstrous saves to keep the game tied early. Nearly perfect.

Back Line - Sauerbrunn, Johnston, Ali Krieger, Klingenberg - 6/10
    Johnston had a few good moments in the second half, but Sauerbrunn was the only good game of this group.

Midfield - Lloyd, Holliday, Rapinoe, Press - 8/10
    Tony D had it right - Rapinoe was ignoring Holliday the whole game. But it worked. If Press is a natural forward, once Alex Morgan gets healthy, this team has 4 very good attackers with Rapinoe and Lloyd to serve the ball in.

Forwards - Wambach, Leroux - 6.5/10
    Abby Wambach, as a player, is not a liability. Building your entire attack around an aged and rusty Abby Wambach is very much a liability, and that was what they did in the first half. Leroux had a beautiful setup on the Press goal.

Also, the official was total ****. She was an apt representative of FIFA. Rapinoe's yellow was atrocious.

7. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    What yellow? That wasn't a yellow. That was bull (excrement)

8. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Do you know if there is an appeal process? We cannot go a game in this group without her.

9. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    No appeal on yellows, unless it was given to the wrong player

10. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    In this thread do we get to discuss Hope Solo's excessive drinking habits? She's a mean drunk from what I hear.

11. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    She shouldn't even be on the team"

12. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Probably not, but that was the best performance by a Solo since Endor.

s65horsey and Sith_Sensei__Prime like this.
  13. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Her "Cantina Shooting" phase though was first, and is going to potentially cause issues with the team......

s65horsey and DarthIntegral like this.
  14. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Heels, I think you're a little harsh on Leroux. She basically created the chance on the game winner. Deserves as mention, even if she was incredibly wasteful with her own chances.

15. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I mentioned that. It was really her only big contribution, though, and Wambach didn't contribute a whole lot.

16. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Sorry, was skimming. Missed it with the rusty Abby remarks, which is kind to Wambach.

17. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Sweden v Nigeria turned out to be a great game. Probably the best match so far in terms of skill, speed and ability.

Liverpool probably wished they had a male version of Oshoala in their rank; she is a future world player of the year.

But, more importantly, England starts today. Reckon we'll grab a draw against a very good French side.

Louisa Nécib = G.O.A.T

18. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    lol @ the saltiest of salty members of the Australian FA after last night's loss:

[​IMG]

19. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    The Sweden Nigeria game was the best so far. Brazil looks like a good team also.

20. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Well, I feel the point is valid - the USA relies on individual brilliance rather than good tactics to win games, which is fine against lesser sides like Australia but perhaps vulnerable against better ones or if one of your stars has an off day.

However to bring it out after a loss just seems stupid, especially saying 'they only won because we aren't as fit and our players aren't as good'.

21. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    3.5 million watched it in the US, up from about 1.07 million in the USA opener 4 years ago. My AO bar was packed

22. SoloKnight

SoloKnight Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2003
    We...didn't look great out there. Until Morgan is 100%, I'd start A-Rod and Leroux up top. Wambach isn't a 90 min player anymore. She had one great chance when Pinoe served her a great ball and she missed. Hell, let Press play up top and quit trying to force her to be a mid. With Rodriguez, Sydney, Press, and Morgan on the team, Abby would be my last choice for starting forward.

Pinoe and Solo both had an amazing game. Megan's European style really contrasts with the "be faster and stronger than everyone else" style our women have relied on for so many years. She and Tobs (when Tobin is on. Unfortunately she hasn't played great lately) just are so fun to watch. Their ball handling is leaps and bounds beyond the rest of the old guard. There were a couple moments last game where Rapinoe had tthe ball, and all I could think of was, "This. This right here is why soccer--not gridiron football, basketball, baseball, or any other sport--is called The Beautiful Game." When it's played well, it's like watching poetry. No other sport comes close. (But holy cow Megan, don't mess with a yellow card happy ref. Especially not in the WC. Been spending too much time with Solo I think.)

And Solo was a beast. In terms of skill, there is not a doubt in my mind that she is the best goalkeeper the women's game has ever produced. [​IMG]

heels1785 likes this.
  23. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    It's nice to watch football, for a change, in which the players don't dive and roll around on the ground for 5 minutes. Maybe the men can learn something...

starfish likes this.
  24. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    Germany v Norway today. Going to be a very good close game.

25. Darth_Furio

Darth_Furio Chosen One star 8

Apr 17, 2008
    Go Canada Go!

[​IMG]

starfish likes this.