main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Use of SW/Indy OST in fan films.

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by KENBENOKI387, Apr 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KENBENOKI387

KENBENOKI387 Jedi Youngling

Jan 14, 2004
    Hi Guys,
    I?ve done a search on this subject, but came up with nothing, so I?ll post a new topic.

Is it true that LucasFilm, RCA/Victor, Sony Classics or the licensing groups (BMI or APRA in Australasia) and of course the Maestro John Williams have no problem wih SW music being used in fan films?

So long as they are non-profit, mass produced etc?

Or do you still have to ask for permission from one of these groups?

I was just asking because I?d like to use some OT music in my film, which fits into the above category.

Even though some fan films are marketed fairly wide now, with DVD releases and so forth, is it still kosher with them? And please, don?t get me wrong, I?m not trying to get anyone in trouble here.

Are they OK with SW fan filmmakers recording the music again with a small orchestra? Not whole tracks, just certain cues?
    I know that it will never sound as good with a small orchestra, but you know.

Does anyone know of any good sites that have SW (or even Indy?) sheet music?

I thank you in advance.

2. Scott_M

Scott_M Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2000
    Legal answer - You're breaching copyright.
    Practical answer - Tacet approval is given as long as you don't make any money out of it.

3. KENBENOKI387

Jan 14, 2004
    Thanks for your help. I know the legal aspects of copyright, but obviously LF know about FF. Are they OK with the music being used?
    Or should I clear it with them?
    Because I would like to show my in public once.
    WHho in LF should I contact?

4. anjofilm

anjofilm Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 2, 2004
    You shouldn't tell anyone, and hope none of your friends or other viewers squeal on you....

5. Scott_M

Oct 24, 2000
    Ken, I'm guessing you're in Australia or NZ. StarWalking in Melbourne has screened fan films using copyrighted music, with Lucasfilm's knowledge (and an ILM staff member in attendance). As long as you don't charge for screening(s), you'll be right.

6. KENBENOKI387

Jan 14, 2004
    Thanks for that, that's what I wanted to know.

7. JediMasterKadon

JediMasterKadon Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 14, 2002
    But Star Walking charges admission....

Mmm, thicken the plot does....

JMK

8. Zamboni

Zamboni Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 15, 2004
    You shouldn't tell anyone, and hope none of your friends or other viewers squeal on you....

Ah so that's the reason we haven't seen any big productions from you eh? (just kidding... I ain't gonna squeal... that's right...)

9. Semaj Ovured

Semaj Ovured Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2000
    Isn't STARWALKING in Australia? Other countries may have slightly different copyright laws which would allow for such "gray" activities. But here in the US it is VERBOTTEN.

10. Scott_M

Oct 24, 2000
    But Star Walking charges admission....

Films have been screened at Star Wars conventions and social gatherings. There is a charge to get into the convention or gathering, but not specifically to see the films on show. No money goes back to the film makers, and Star Walking is a non-profit organisation. AFAIK they also have some links to Lucasfilm, and LFL would nix what they're doing if they didn't agree with it.

Lord Vader FF or Dags could clarify this further.

Isn't STARWALKING in Australia? Other countries may have slightly different copyright laws which would allow for such "gray" activities.

Our copyright laws are pretty much the same as the US in this regard. Unlike China, Malaysia or Thailand, which are rather lax in their enforcement, to put it mildly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.