main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource Use of Tsil Crystals in Lightsabers and Its Effects

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by twowolves, Oct 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twowolves

twowolves Jedi Master star 4

Oct 6, 2013
    I know certain lightsaber crystals have certain effects on the lightsaber blade and characteristics, but has there ever been an instance where a Jedi or other Force user has used a "smokie" from Nam Chorios in their lightsaber? These were the black crystals that were said to be Force-sensitive and semi-sentient, if I remember correctly.

In my fanfic, as an example, though, I gave the crystal a ultraviolet color (not purple like Mace Windu's), and gave the backstory of it being stolen from the Jedi Temple by the character's Master right before the opening of the Clone Wars.

I know the Jedi are supposed to be this high and mighty, never evil, never-do-wrong superhero-type, but they do make mistakes, too. They are not omniscient and omnipotent, so I thought it would be interesting to see one "borrow" such a crystal for their padawan, if there was sufficient reason (such as her having a Force vision of the padawan being in great danger and needing something like that). Is this reasonable? I point to the Jedi Master Sifo-Dyas's actions with the clone army...

A more important question is, the "smokies" from Nam Chorios were contemporary with the Clone Wars, right? I mean, I could reasonably say that the Jedi Temple would have had at least one of them present to research at that time, or weren't those crystals discovered yet?

Also, are there any other instances of strange crystals being used in lightsabers?

To the mods, I posted this question in the EU boards in a different form (minus the questions about my fanfic) because I wanted to know about the crystals themselves, and re-posted it here because I had a question about the fanfic that I didn't address in the one in the EU board, so it's not redundant! Please take this into consideration when reviewing this. I wanted to make sure each was in its proper place, sirs!

(Mav Edit: Title edited per request)

2. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    It could be possible for a Jedi to use a tsil as a lightsaber focusing crystal, but any conscientious Padawan, Knight or Master would not do so without asking the tsil for its consent seeing as they and the others of their kind are semi-sentient at least. However, as far as I know there's no canonical advantage to using one of these creatures in one's saber; it's not as if they enhance one's Force abilities. The only instances I can think of where a character might use particular crystals in lightsabers for stat-boosting is, as you'd expect, in RPGs such as KotOR and mumorpugers such as TOR.

That said, one of my characters did use a certain type of crystal to augment her personal weapon, but it was a type that I had made up and the only effect it had was to increase the width of her blade by a few millimeters.

3. twowolves

Oct 6, 2013
    Thank you! This is the information I was looking for in regards to the fanfic aspect of this question. You know, it gave me an idea, too. I could write it in where the Master asked the tsil for permission, and it was granted, but she never informed the padawan of the tsil's nature, possibly at the tsil's request, or because of something she perceived in her Force vision. As far as advantages go, I was thinking of it granting a more acute sense of surroundings through the Force to the wielder, as well as the tsil being able to communicate telepathically with the person, too. Or, I could go even stranger and say it grants the wielder the ability to visually perceive in a faint, holographic way, the flow of the Force, the way a tsil might be able to...

4. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Well, if you were going to do that you'd have to take into account the fact that the tsils have a unique take on the universe. It's mentioned at least twice in canon that they view reality in a manner that is radically different than that of most sentient beings (in that most sentinets aren't near-permanent parts of the landscape). So if you're going to give a tsil-focused lightsaber special powers, be careful to have it in keeping with this worldview. Even Luke Skywalker couldn't communicate with the tsils in the way he could with other Force entities and non-Basic speaking wielders.

5. twowolves

Oct 6, 2013
    I must confess I have not read the books about the Droch Plague and Luke communicating with the tsils...but I have been researching wookieepedia, and basing my descriptions on what I've found there. Yet, I do try to make it my own.

Now, I imagine the way each Force user perceives the flow of the Force is very individual and unique to that person, much the same way how one person perceives a piece of music will be different than someone else perceiving the same piece, though they both hear it. One possible way to describe it is when a Force user closes their eyes, they perceive in the theater of their mind's eye the world around them rendered in shades of electric blue against a backdrop of black. The Force would be like water, denser than the air, and every object and being would leave a 'hollow' in that water, almost like a visible ripple where the current would be slower or faster depending on the strength of their connection to the Force. Living things would be brighter shades of blue, while inanimate objects would be darker indigos. Finally, the 'colder' the feel of the 'hollow,' the more deeply steeped in the Dark Side it was. It would almost be like physical sight. Of course, someone can mask that 'coldness' in the flow of the Force, much like Sidious did for years. This would be akin to the way the Miraluka perceive the world around them through the Force, only a far dimmer, blurrier version, similar to the purple swirls one sees when you close your eyes at night.

So, I was thinking, if I take a cue from this, what if the tsil crystal would grant a ghostly, translucent overlay of the flow of the Force onto a wielder's normal vision? And their communication seems almost empathic rather than, "Hey, you! Watch where you're walking, pal!," (lol) though it does seem they were capable of conveying messages. But yes, your point is taken about how they view and process the world around them. It seems like it would be akin to the way the Ents were in the Lord of the Rings.

It would also seem that, going by the description in wookieepedia, a tsil crystal in a lightsaber would make using the Force around it more dangerous, in that it would amplify the effects dramatically, almost to the point of a wielder merely thinking it and the Force exploding with his will, requiring very fine control. And since the Dark Side is steeped in death and the absence of light, I wonder if the blade would pulse or grow cold or dim, or something, whenever a Dark Side user was around, regardless of whether or not the person is masking their Dark Side presence.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.