main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST "Use the Force, Space Horse" ~or~ "Will we see Force-sensitive creatures in Episode VIII (or IX) ?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by MotherNature's SilverSeed, Apr 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MotherNature's SilverSeed

MotherNature's SilverSeed Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 4, 2013
    At the risk of allowing sincere discussion of midichlorians to resurface, I ask if you, reader, think we will see any creatures or monsters (or any organisms without the capacity for abstract thought and/or self-reflection)?

I bring up the (frankly misguided and unfortunate inclusion of the) concept of midichlorians because it was in many ways an attempt to explain Force-sensitivity in biological terms, and the reasoning from which this question doth spring relies on the premise of the existence of a(n) (in-universe) biological evolution of a given GFFA planet's species. As such, this thread already begs the question.

That stuff notwithstanding, one could conclude that by virtue of the concept of natural selection the galaxy would be teeming with creatures that would exist rather than their evolutionary competitor due to special characteristics bequeathed unto them by the Lord our God, giver of life, savior to all and Supreme Force-ghost.

So, if one accepts this presumptive, sciencey element to the backdrop of these movies, will or should we see space rodents springing rat traps from a distance? or sarlaacs snatching sandpeople by the handful and dragging their grunting forms through the air towoard their digestive demise? or Space Horse galloping...through space?

Also, what characteristics might one observe in such a creature? What capabilities or characteristics of a given Force-sensitive organism might favor their chances for space-evolution to effectively nudge them toward the top of the food chain in this dewback-eat-dewback galaxy?

[​IMG]

Sarge likes this.
  2. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    I'll have what you're having.

3. PaperSkin

PaperSkin Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 12, 2015
    The really question is will we see a force sandwich..... or two force baguettes that fight like lightsabers...

4. JDN21

JDN21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2004
    I think that now George Lucas has been jettisoned, Star Wars is (quite rightly) quietly forgetting the word 'Midichlorians' ever existed.

5. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    I doubt they would just go against previously established facts like that

darklordoftech likes this.
  6. JDN21

Nov 17, 2004

I'd bet my mortgage that the word 'Midichlorians' or even the concept of it is never mentioned in any future Star Wars movie ever again.

7. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Right, but they can't just forgot about the Force being genetic like some suggested, including JJ. I mean, that was even in the originals.

darklordoftech likes this.
  8. JDN21

Nov 17, 2004

Something being genetic is very different to the concept of Midichlorians. Like a talented artist who has a child who has artistic talents. Subjectively, you can say there appears to be a bias towards artistic talent in the bloodline, nothing more than that. There is no scientific test that can measure how talented an artist you are. So while Luke has a strong affinity with the force (like his father), you can subjectively conclude that the force is strong in their family. Leia appears to have some very low level force abilities. It isn't scientific, it is still mystical.

The idea that you can do a clinical blood test to appraise force sensitivity is very different. It was a very clunky, poorly conceived device to serve an aspect of The Phantom Menace.

9. Dagobah Dragonsnake

Dagobah Dragonsnake Jedi Master star 4

Feb 7, 2016
    To address the OP, would not those hypothetical creatures with the advantage also then evolve? And would not sentience be part of the evolution? And would not those strongest in that attribute rise to the top? And wouldn't those creatures become leaders?
    [​IMG]

Are these not the top of that evolutionary line, representing bases of space frogs and apes and insects and tall head apes and cattle and more space frogs and rodents and hairy bird things?

10. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Leia likely has the same Force potential as Luke, we just never see it because she clearly preferred to stay untrained. Midichlorians has everything to do with it being genetic though. People's midichlorian counts are passed down through generations and decide how strong with the Force your kin will be. So JJ is pretty much saying that he knows how the Force works and that it's genetic, but he simply ignores because that's not what he thought when he was a kid.

11. HankSolo

HankSolo Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012

I'd prefer a force cheese steak FWIW...

12. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    Well.. not sure about FS Space Horse .. bu there's this tree in the comics..

13. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Some EU sources imply that the Tusken Raiders use The Force to bond with their banthas.

14. Chewies_bandolier

May 5, 2002
    Sort of like the .. Dragonrider of Pern (Anne MCaffrey books) .. ehh.. ok.

15. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    A Force sensitive animal would be awesome. Myth is full of magical animals, so why not?

And those evil midichlorians, which only fans of eugenics could love, will never be mentioned in the films again.

16. Chewies_bandolier

May 5, 2002
    Well.. the animals could have it too .. or rather (to be politically correct) - the non-human beings ;)

I just would be very happy that no one runs around with a midi-chlorian-metre EVER again in SW.

17. MotherNature's SilverSeed

Feb 4, 2013
    Amendment to thread title:

"

18. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015

Thanks. Before this amendment, I had no idea what the title meant.

19. MotherNature's SilverSeed

Feb 4, 2013
    It's understandable. I apologize for any confusion.

JabbatheHumanBeing likes this.
  20. MotherNature's SilverSeed

Feb 4, 2013
    Good question(s). I don't know much about evolution, but does it necessarily follow, according to the theory, that, say, the common spacehorsefly left to evolve in a vacuum (i.e. under ideal conditions) will eventually end up building skyscrapers and electron microscopes and diet soft drinks?

Dagobah Dragonsnake likes this.
  21. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    The OP seems a bit too baiting to me. I'd recommend someone start a creatures of 8 & 9 discussion thread, if you really want to discuss things like this. Just leave out the baiting in the OP. Locking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.