main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MOD USER NAME REQUESTS (Warning: expect long delays!)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Garth Maul, Feb 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Stolen from JCC:

SO NOW THAT WE'RE FINALLY MOVING...
    A Preliminary Guide to the JCcalypse

[image=http://www.lovehomegrowgarden.info/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/moved.gif]
    We're moving, wooooo!

So we're moving?

Yeah! Finally!

What are these IGN fellows going to do?

IGN is planning to export our forum data at some point in the coming weeks. We have not yet decided on an exact date.

So what's exactly going to happen?

The JC is about to undergo a major upgrade. After the move, all the current glitches like new user registrations and email notifications will finally work again.

How will I get to this "temporary board"?

Once the boards are officially shut down for the move, boards.theforce.net will automatically forward you to the temp board.

How will the "temp board" work?

The temp board will basically just be a place to hang out until the move has been completed. The temp board is going to be a brand new board - nothing from this board is going to be transferred to it, which means you will have to register a new temporary account in order to post. No threads or posts will be transferred either. After the move is completed, the temp board will be shut down.

What about all these screenshots you've been showing us?

They're no longer valid, I'm afraid. They were from our old vBulletin test board, but now we're going to be moving to Xenforo, the same software IGN used when they moved. We have no idea how the new boards are going to look when they finally go live, but don't worry: we'll survive.

How long does this conversion take? And how does it exactly work?

IGN will be exporting all the data from this forum and converting it into a database compatible with XenForo. They will then mail us the data on a hard drive, which will then be imported into the new board set up on TFN's servers. We expect it to take somewhere between 1 to 3 weeks, depending on how long each step of the process takes to complete.

So when will the new JC be back?

When the move has been completed and we've had the chance to verify the import process, boards.theforce.net will automatically switch over to the new board.

What can I expect when the new board opens?

Your password will not be transferred, so in order to log in for the first time, you will need to initiate the password recovery and have your new password emailed to you via the email associated with your account. More in-depth details on how this process will work will be provided in the near future once we've had a chance to test out the process for ourselves.

So should I add an e-mail address to my profile?

Yes, and why the hell haven't you done that already!?

Some useful Links:

If you have any questions, ask them here so we can either answer them or ask the people in the know.

2. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    Remember, it is extremely important that you have an active email address attached to your account for password retrieval purposes.

Check your account - if you've got an old email from years ago, maybe update to your current one.

3. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    Huzzah! It's finally happening!

What if everyone makes new usernames for the temp boards? Or even better, we should do a nameswap. Make the whole moving experience a bit more fun.

4. MarkVader1991

MarkVader1991 Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 10, 2010
    Where do I go to change my email address?

5. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Finally, indeed.

And to edit your e-mail address, you must go to the Options.

6. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

Feb 25, 2011
    Yep, Options > Change Your User Details > Private E-Mail Address. There should be something there already. As long as you've got an address in that box, you're good.

7. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    This is quite exciting. Two of my favorite forums getting major upgrades at the same time. Kinda sad I take it the temp boards is all the use the VB license is gonna see. Oh well this forum has always been unique and I've never been part of forum that uses XenFolo, looking forward to it.

I think I'm gonna watch the Umbara arc to celebrate. Anyone with the episodes handy want to join me in a chatroom. I'm thinking I'll at 8:00pm EST. http://us4.chatzy.com/18153373749576 ... keyboards only.

8. CGI-BOBAFENT

CGI-BOBAFENT Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    I call dibs on your name ,coming back here after so many years away realised mine's proper #### now , not entirely sure what my 17 year old self was thinking!

9. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    Yeah I should register as many mod accounts as I can think of...no wait that wouldn't work.

10. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

Feb 25, 2011
    Go for it. I think I'll probs go for Gamek or SpecOps'. Or maybe I'll keep it a secret. Might be better that way so no-one knows who is who other than by if they can tell from how they type their posts..

Which means I'll be changing my persona entirely to throw you all off.

EDIT: Garth (or anyone else really with the technical know-how) if you can somehow set up a lottery for this, that would be awesome. Like that fruit machine game all the teachers used to pick groups.

11. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Glad I'm not popular. =b

12. JM_1977

JM_1977 Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 23, 2011
    I don't really have a personality that people can copy and besides I'm not that popular for someone to want to copy me.

And Fanboy completely changing his persona, I've got to see this

Also ive got a question. Is the private email address on your profile the one that's gonna get emailed the new password once the move happens?

13. Darth_Gamek

Darth_Gamek Jedi Master star 6

Aug 10, 2009

14. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    So when should I be expecting an e-mail?

15. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    I'm calling it now: The boards will go offline the minute after the season finale ends. [face_mischief]

16. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    Well, my name will be up for grabs, because I'll be switching to a new one.

Not everyone at once! :p

Grimby said it would be possible to keep your IMs, post count AND switch user-names.

I'm not sure about the specifics of how they're going to handle user-name changes.

17. JM_1977

JM_1977 Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 23, 2011
    That would suck so bad with all the buzz of seeing maul again and discussion of what we saw and what we will see next season with the little 30 second teaser we get at the end of every season. There'd be too much to talk about for that to happen8-}

18. Fistofan55

Fistofan55 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 7, 2009
    That would actually be perfect for me.

19. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgIrXKpv2gw

My reaction.:p

20. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    About time? :p

21. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    Not our fault, mostly. We've been waiting just like you.

It's been in the works for a long time.

22. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    I would be so confused if the fistofans changed numbers. :p

23. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    Dont worry, I wouldn't be so cruel as to mess with the Official Fistofan Naming System. :p Although the thought of spending a few days in the life of a koonfan had crossed my mind... [face_mischief]

24. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    For those who can see the new announcement banner, the big "THE MOVE IS UPON US!" label goes rather well above Rex's image. :p

25. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Oh, I blocked that banner out because it annoyed me. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.