main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo User Reviews/Reactions for Solo: A Star Wars Story

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Darth Chiznuk , May 22, 2018.

?

Did you like Solo: A Star Wars Story?

1. Yes

89.5%
  2. No

10.5%
  1. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    This thread is for the userbase to post their reviews for the second installment in the Anthology series! Post once you've actually seen the film. That should be obvious but after what we've seen on RT and IMDb I guess not.

Note: any votes cast in the poll before the film is released will be deleted. I have that power! ;)

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I'm not waiting! I loved this movie and I haven't even seen it yet.

OK OK, I'll wait to vote.

3. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    What did I tell you? Leave mod squad and you're gonna miss the private screening LFL holds for us every new film. It's your own fault!

4. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Retirees still get private screenings. They're actually right before the screenings for the active mods.

TCF-1138 , LAJ_FETT , MS1 and 2 others like this.
  5. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I'm going to have to renegotiate that the next time our collective bargaining agreement comes up for renewal. :p

TCF-1138 and EHT like this.
  6. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Uh oh, I already feel the winds of another Mod Squad Lockout that will rival the famous strike of '06 when the forums were shut down for 3 months because of picketing moderators demanding a fair pension program and better healthcare benefits. I just hope this lockout doesn't last as long next time around. :p

7. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    I'll be watching the movie today at midnigth, it's so close I can't believe it!
    Hopefully it's great fun, I'll post a review tomorrow to let you guys now what I think.

8. Darth Luch

Darth Luch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 28, 2016
    I saw it, that was very good.
    A movie made for the fan

9. Miras-Etrin

Miras-Etrin Jedi Master star 2

Jan 23, 2013
    I am struggling with vitriolic reaction I never experienced in the past after any SW film (mind you, I haven´t seen Rogue One yet). Except of some visuals and the first Chewie moment I simply couldn´t care pretty much about anything.The plot is uninteresting, sometimes needlessly contrived, bad guys are stupid and we´ll also get certain Prequel connection coming from storyline I always considered silly...

Mange likes this.
  10. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    Out of curiosity, why haven’t you seen Rogue One yet? You can rent it for, like, $3.00...

Secondly, were you interested in a Solo film beforehand, or did you go in not interested?

Anyway, seeing it tomorrow at 9pm EST. A lot of the fan reactions so far (except for this one) are encouraging.

Last edited: May 23, 2018
    Luke'sSeveredHand likes this.
  11. Othini

Othini Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2012
    @Bor Gullet Thats President Scroobs profile, dont you see? ;)

Seriously, if you are a Star Wars you must have been pretty eager to watch Rogue One by now.

I like to read some of the more negative reviews as they come in as well - they will - and some of them will be well explained. Hopefully a bit more than « bad guys are stupid».....stuff.

Seeing it in 4 hours now.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  12. Miras-Etrin

Jan 23, 2013
    I´m planning of seeing Rogue one, the storyline just doesn´t attract me very much. I went not knowing what to expect, but I think I had open mind. And I actually kinda liked the opening.

Othini likes this.
  13. Miras-Etrin

Jan 23, 2013
    Sorry for not feeling give more coherent thoughts just now.

14. Ed_Fett_77

Ed_Fett_77 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 19, 2015
    3 and a half hour to go

15. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

The PiedPiper of Alderaan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 16, 2015
    Not a masterpiece indeed...but far from being a disaster, so yes it IS a good movie IMO. It's not an essential SW movie, mind you, but it's very entertaining if you go past its flaws.

The best way i could decribe it is: "indiana jones & the temple of doom" meets SW underworld. A very old school 80s/90s adventure-action vibe (with flawless modern Fx, very good mix of very good CGIs, "real sets" and state-of-the-art puppetry. If you dont expect more than that you will enjoy it. It's a light and engaging kasdan-penned movie for SW fans -the others wont really care-. It's like a good SW comics/novel adapted to the big screen, big EU vibe -old or new-.

First of all i loved seeing Corellia at last! met my expectations. And from then on it's always a pleasure to meet new people, cultures, visit new planets in the GFFa and this one didnt disappoint.

The script? I thought it was actually pretty good. Very pulp-y of course but better that what i read avout. This doesnt prevent from having a lot of really contrived things happening, over-the-top cheesiness here and there but if you go past it it's an interesing and fun ride.

The actors? Donald IS Lando...L3 is hit and miss (some of my favourite scenes and others not so) but i kinda liked her and her relationship to Lando. The others are doing a good job, i think the cast works very well together...now yes this "new Han" lacks Harisson's charisma, it's ok if you imagine all this happening 10 years before ANH and he's still just a kid, not THE Solo we loved in the OT (im not sure of the timeline, i think it's closer to the OT than that but i prefer ignoring it)

yes the stakes are low but it should be this way IMO. It's not what's interesting about the movie. It's the journey.

Some randon thoughts:

Howard's directing is OK. Nothing too fancy but im not against this classicism.

Production values..very good like all new SW. A pleasure to venture in this galaxy and always be amazed at what we see.

Kessel run rules. All hail the great cthuluh.

Only big visuals misfire: Rio..cartoony looking scoobydoo character like the lowest moments in the PT.

Its both its strength and weakness: fan service. The film is mainly that. If you're not into SW it's just a ok movie. If you're a fan it "raises the stakes".

Would have it been better for all of these iconic key events to be left to our imagination? yes. Really. But niw it's done it's ok. Doesnt destroy Han's character.

The film is actually not that funny. There are some clumsy jokes and some good ones but it's more that it's a light movie rather than the most funny one

I loved Corellia but right after that there's a moment when i thought, ouch this might be gonna be the first really unispired/boring SW movie....and bang it went better and better until the end.

Just my opinoin: TLJ was as close to a work of auteur art (its highlights and flaws included) as such a massive blockbuster can be. Bold, Thematically rich and complex, looking forward, deconstructing SW not to destroy it but to reinforce the basics and foundations of how and why it became our modern mythology. What is a myth. Why do we need stories and escapism. Great story about getting old too and philosophically deep. Compared to Solo....Well, Solo is more solid craftmanship rather than art. I wouldn't want every SW movie to be like Solo. But it works for that movie.

No too-on-the-nose cameos...yes :) the only one was....unexpected to say the least. And though it comes from a SW narrative arc i don't really like it was still surprising enough to be interesting and doing some world-building.

At last no rebels, no saving the galaxy, no force, no jedi, even the empire is not that important. I like all these things but it's good to see something different!!!

My wife agrees: it really is young indiana jones in space!

16. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    You had me at ""indiana jones & the temple of doom" meets SW underworld. A very old school 80s/90s adventure-action vibe (with flawless modern Fx, very good mix of very good CGIs, "real sets" and state-of-the-art puppetry."

17. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Without any specifics, are there any cameos (I know of the biggest one)?

Not too surprised by the craftsmanship and workman-like directing style. After everything that happened, I suppose it makes sense. I mean, the film had to be re-shot again in a very short space of time, with the planned release date remaining the same. How could it be any other way? Because I’m a film buff in general and love Lord and Miller, I’m guessing I probably would have preferred their film.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  18. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

Sep 16, 2015
    no cameo besides the one you've read about....i think it's better like that, there's already enough fan-service stuff :)

I must say i'm not too in love with these two guys, i found their films ok but didn't think they were a good choice for SW....we'll never know how it would have turned out...maybe i'm wrong and they would have offered a more creative movie from a directing point of view?. From a film making perspective this is no TLJ or R1 that's for sure. But i wanted to see Kasdan's script, not Lord and Miller's movie to be honest. Kasdan is not perfect but there's some nostalgia here, it's his darling project, i find that touching somehow, this is why he came back to SW after all.

Hypatia, J_K_DART, cwustudent and 3 others like this.
  19. Miras-Etrin

Jan 23, 2013

One can speculate if they are not making space for Obi-Wan spin-off where he might be killed for good.

20. lavjoricso

lavjoricso Force Ghost star 4

May 25, 2001
    It's funny Temple of doom is getting a mention... it came out on this very day in 1984.

21. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

Sep 16, 2015
    oh really? what a coincidence haha!!!! but really, that's the vibe i got from most of the movie. And i like Temple of Doom (i know some people don't, but i embrace its cheesiness and pulpy quality)

lavjoricso likes this.
  22. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I hate to say this but 5/10 :_| I wanted to love this film, I really did...but I just felt nothing either way. Didn't love it - Didn't hate it.

23. Ginkasa

Ginkasa Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 13, 2002
    The issue with that is that Rebels already did this.

RampantLeaf and cwustudent like this.
  24. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Best year perhaps for pop culture ever. Certainly the best year for pop music.

cwustudent and lavjoricso like this.
  25. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    And so once again ... 3 am review of the film that I swore five months ago, I wouldn't see (or review) at 3 am. My excuse: I'm heading off to foreign climes in 24 hours and need to spend my last evening home packing than in the cinema.

Firstly - the cinema at the midnight screening was only ~ 25% full compared to being packed out for all of the previous films... and this was a hard core fan screening too, so a weeknight in a non (for non US people) holiday week may have made people prioritize their cognitive status at work, over seeing this film

So ... hmmm. I liked it. I didn't feel anything for it as much as I did for Rogue One or The Force Awakens. I certainly didn't hate it as much as I hated TLJ after the first screening. It seemed to fit in with the rest of the OT SW so ... on that note. It did it's job. It didn't pack any of the emotional punches of RO, but then again, it's pretty hard to compete with the impact of icons like Vader and Leia.

This is a spoiler board but I'll hide the key points since probably most of the rest of the planet haven't seen it yet.
    The good:
    This is a film about Han but also about the underworld in a GFFA ... I really liked delving into this side of the galaxy. It was reminiscent of something you'd find in the "Tales from Jabba's Palace" book from the 1980s.

There's an opening couple of sentences - not a crawl .. and no panning up or down or around in space - you just jump start (literally) into action with Han / Alden (who looked very much like River Phoenix in this bit of the film).

I loved Correlia - it's stated as a ship building planet but you actually see a Star Destroyer being constructed in the opening scene. Cool. I loved that they kept the "Han is a rascally parentless street orphan" origin story - we're actually none the wiser as to who Kylo Ren's OTHER grandpa or grandma might be. Han does get named by a random Imperial officer. There didn't seem to be "three years later" stated (but I might be too tired to have remembered correctly).

We skip to mudtrooper Han in Mimban? A strange mix of Imperial atrocities (seen rather nicely as we pan away from the planet and see how the Empire went about "bringing peace and unity to the galaxy" and something from a lighter version of "Saving Private Ryan". It was also great to see some of the less salubrious elements of the Empire (hinted at in the books) depicted - viz - corrupt officers dealing with criminals.. and so on.

Val doesn't die in the first five minutes of the film - she actually has a role to play and has some background to her character. I thought Thandie Newton was fine.

Han and Chewie meeting common ground in Shyriiwook was rather amusing. At one point, I thought that we'd have another "Holiday Special" special with the entire scene in non-subtittled Wookie :) They do shower together :) :) Han was an Imperial trooper once. No mention of Corellian bloodstripes (thankfully some things can be left to a mystery).

Emilia Clarke's Qi'ra .. she kept reminding me of frigging Khaleesi, mostly because she speaks in the same English accent and other than having dark hair, looks much like .. Emilia Clarke. She's very pretty and wears a nice cape.

Lando was great but not a scene stealer as I'd expected. I love his closet of many capes. I really love capes actually - why aren't people outside of British royalty wearing capes any more? Lando is smooth and slimey as anything in this film ... there's reallly nothing much here that would make me trust him as far as I could throw a stick. Perhaps in a sequel to this film, a more honorable Lando will come out. Will I go to hell if I say that I preferred Billy-Dee?

I'm incapable of seeing Woody Harrelson as playing anyone other than Woody Harrelson. Beckets betrayal caught me off-guard nevertheless.

I really liked Enfys Nest, despite the fairly heavy-handed message of "you'll be ready to join the rebellion one day", I loved the idea of her being a kick ass biracial curly haired girl. She does kick ass so maybe those who are a bit senstive about Disney's gender equilibration issues will be a little more on board with her.

The action scenes were good though the train scene probably didn't need to go on for as long as it did, being of little overall value to the plot. The Kessel run being an actual shortcut was reasonably done ..

Coaxium (not a cable) is apparently now a thing - Hyperspace fuel or whatnot which is now conveniently what every Resistance ship in TLJ presumably ran out of. Ok.

Dryden Vos had a much larger role than I thought and Paul Bettany was okay. Maul's cameo at the end was much longer than I expected and it was cool to see him still have both his forcy skills and his curved lightsabre. I loved the Duel of the Fates leitmotif that played when he came up (amazing music in TPM, whatever you may think of the film itself).

Oh. Alden was FINE in this. He didn't channel Harrison but did his own version of young Han. Cocky +++ I can imagine how some of the scenes may have ended up being too comedic in the Lord and Miller version. He has nothing to be ashamed of. His relationship with Chewie was great. By the end of the film, he still isn't the selfish mercenary we see in ANH, but i strongly feel that this is a story to be continued.

The eh.

LR-22 .. I loved the great droid rebellion of Kessel (though what they'd run off to is a bit unclear) and I really thought it sweet that she ends up being part of the Falcon (Han's references to a female Falcon now seem a tiny bit more poignant). The ah.. man/droid love - it was eh heavily hinted at. Given that droids are seen as oppressed under beings, this really sets up (for me anyway) - a groundbreaking and very subversive droid/pilot possibility in IX. Seriously. Ok. Half-seriously. Lando and LR-22 seem very close in any case.

Rio. The wisecracking alien from another franchise (*cough* GoTG *cough*). I felt nothing when he was alive. I felt somewhat relieved when he was finally dead. He wouldn't have been too out of place at a Boonta Eve podrace, imho.

The world building - Mimban was great, I loved Correlia and Dryden's yacht (Jabba's palace seems even more like a crack den in comparison) but again, nothing like the Rings of Kafrene.

The music was mostly forgettable other than for Enfys Nest chorus .. which seemed a bit off the first time I heard it, but much more effective, the second.

Oh. And everyone betrays Han, who most certainly shoots first.

The nitpicky hall of fame nitpick of the year:
    Why was it so difficult to have Sabaac be a game of dice?

I felt neutral about this film - it certainly didn't have me leaving the theatre wanting to see it again in a hurry, but I didn't hate it either. I might see it again on the weekend before I head off but that'll be it.

And now. Over and out.. but a final word - I am convinced that there will now be a Boba Fett / Jabba movie - the end of the film screamed out "to be continued". Alden still has that three movie contract... right? Joonas is destined to play Chewie for the rest of his natural life, presumably..

[/spoilers]
    So see it for yourself and make up your own mind, to state the obvious.