main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Users Online Link

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Gay-LenKenobi, Nov 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jadesaber2

jadesaber2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 17, 2000
    Good job. :)

2. Dark_Lord_Erik

Dark_Lord_Erik Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2001
    Thanks Kadue and Vertical!

3. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    I've updated all the different forums so that they should all now have the newer script. Thanks to those for the suggestion, and Vert for providing a quick way to get a link that does what we need.

If you encounter any problems or discrepancies, please tell me. :)

4. Red_Oktobur

Red_Oktobur Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 7, 2001
    Looks very cool ;) :D

...and a Jango

5. Jedi_Nailbiter

Jedi_Nailbiter Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2000
    Kadue, couldn't you make some sort of script that displays different things based on whether a mod is online or not. That way next to the name it'd say whether or not the mod is online, making the system much more convenient and cool because you could just look at it, see what mod is online, and instantly PM him/her.

6. Ariana Lang

Ariana Lang Jedi Youngling star 5

Oct 10, 1999
    Yay! Thank you! :)

7. Jedi_Ben_Skywalker

Jedi_Ben_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 19, 2002
    Wow- thanks. Freaked mme out to see Mr. Necks "PM a mod" link on the left side, though.

8. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    Personally I feel that those links are more often used to report problems then make suggestions and so that it should go to the profile to check if the mod is online.

Furthermore linking to the profile would allow people to track mods easier, seeing where they post as well as reading their profile and finding out thier AIM or similar for private correspondences.

But hell, what do I know?

9. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    From my thread that got closed:

Wouldn't it be easier just to have the names link to the profiles? That accomplishes 2 tasks at once. You can see the last login date AND send a PM. Having that Online? link at the top just adds to an already over-cluttered header.

Just my 2 cents ...

10. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    I noticed this last night in the SW Music board. I thought it was a code update or something until I noticed that Kaduey was having fun with the source again. ;)

I like it... it allows people to check and see if you're online or not. It does look a little cluttered, but perhaps we could replace the text with a small image and have it link to the same thing?

11. Gay-LenKenobi

Gay-LenKenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 20, 2000
    Maybe the link on the names could be changed to the alphasort link. I mean, if you click on the current 'Online?' link, if they are online, there is a "Send PM" link on that page. There isn't need to back out and then click on their name on the forum page.

12. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    The problem with that Gay-Len is that the original purpose of the mod names being in the header was really to allow people to know who were the mods for the forum, and who to contact with questions/problems in that specific forum. We wanted it to go to the PM screen so that straight away people can type out their message. If we had the alphasort link as the only one, then when a mod isn't online, it wouldn't show anything for them, and defeats that part of the purpose of the links.

13. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    Where as if it links to the profile it provides both of those and more!

It slices it dices it makes julianne fries...

I don't see why you should link people directly to the PM unless you're afraid they don't know how to use the boards.

And frankly if someone doesn't realize there is a PM link at the top of every profile they can be safely ignored :p

Besides, every other name you click on links to a profile. It's more confusing to have it link directly to a pm, not less.

14. legacyAccount

legacyAccount Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2012
    while i do think the online links are kind of cool, i still think that just linking to their profiles would be easier.

i don't only use it to see whether their online or not, but also to see where they've posted recently, ect. like someone said above me, i think you can get more information from their profile.

is there any reason you guys don't want to link to them? or is it that you just think the other solutions are better?

15. Anvia_Fett

Anvia_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    The User Online links are very useful, but I, too, think that the PM link should be replaced by a profile link, since the profile gives additional information about the mod that may make people (particularly newer posters) feel more confidant about contacting him/her and voicing opinions. I for one would feel more comfortable with talking to someone if information about them was easily accessible, and I could see it before making a suggestion or asking a question. What is a profile for if not to learn about a person, and what better way to use it than as an additional means of selecting who to approach for a private conversation? Besides, going back to the point that farraday made, it's fairly safe to assume that most users realise there is a PM link at the top of the profile, one click away.

16. legacyAccount

May 22, 2012
    can we get a mod response to the profile link question? it's been suggested multiple times, but i've never heard a reason from a mod as to why it hasn't been implemented.

17. Vertical

Vertical Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 6, 1999
    I think a link to the profile would work just as well.

Vertical

18. Aunecah_Skywalker

Aunecah_Skywalker Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 25, 2002
    I don't know if it's possible, but couldn't we just have a dimmed/lighted-up face next to each mod that says whether or not (s)he is online?

Personally, I think that directly linking the names to PMs is fine, though. Mainly because most of the Forums seemed to have at least one sticky thread on the top started by one of the Mods. *Shrugs* But that just is probably me.

Just a suggestion.

Aunecah

19. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    Sorry Carmen, missed the thread.

I've set it up a 3rd script so that it can link directly to profiles instead, with the choice of which option to use being up to the moderators of the forums. :)

20. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Kadue, you've done a great job with the forum headers. Thanks for all your work. :)

21. legacyAccount

May 22, 2012
    not a prob... that sounds like a good compromise... just leave it up to each forum mod what they choose.

didn't mean to sound ungreatful, because i'm not, i was just curious as to why the suggested was never really responded to :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.