main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Using AE to generate a color correction profile of a video

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Kaat, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Kaat

Kaat Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 5, 2004
    Hey there, long time no see guys! So, I'll get straight to the point: with the bluray release of the Star Wars movies, I thought that it would finally be time for me and some friends to do a Star Wars-saga night with all six films in nice HD. And since I am not a fan of many changes of the Special Editions and I wanted to fix a shot here and there anyway, I am actually overhauling all six films for that event myself.

Naturally, due to capturing, compressing and stuff, the color quality of the movies is not too spot-on anymore. But I want them to look as good as possible. So what I basically do is that when viewing the films in After Effects and I see that the levels are somehow off (like too bright so you can see too many artifacts and stuff), I adjust the levels to what seems correct to me (i.e., so that space is black in space scenes an so on). I also set up a specific color profile on the TV we're gonna watch the films on, based on the looks of one movie (Attack of the Clones, to be exact).

So, I am trying around a lot with every film, rendering around some scenes, check if they look okay on the TV, etc. So I was now basically wondering, is it somehow possible with After Effects to like put out a specific image file (or movie file for that matter, whatever) that will show me like a greyscale, ranging from the brightest to the darkest colors in the whole movie? So I could somehow mix the spectrums of all the six films into one file that I could view on the TV before starting the movies, just to check if the TV settings are alright? I know that After Effects has different color work spaces and such, but I am not that much into the whole color theory thing to be an expert on this when it comes to digital colors. But I seem to reckon that some users here like Mike Dorkman and others have a lot of insight into that matter and probably already mastered multiple films for TV screens, so I thought it would be best to simply ask around here.

Thanks in advance and have a nice day! :)

2. bgii_2000

bgii_2000 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2005
    This seems like an awesome question that I have absolutely no clue how to answer.

3. Kaat

Kaat Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 5, 2004
    Oh well, then thanks anyway for firing my hopes up for a few seconds after waiting for over four months.