main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Using FBX files in MAX

Discussion in 'Archive: Scifi 3D Forum' started by fireresq7, Feb 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fireresq7

fireresq7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2002
    Hey Guys,

Ok I know how to import an fbx file into MAX but it really doesn't do me any good if I can't attach it to a biped or turn it into one....can anyone shed some light for me? Can it be converted to a bip?

~Rory

2. darthviper107

darthviper107 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2003
    Isn't an FBX just a regular model format to convert models between programs? If so then it can be treated just like any other model, just import it, make a new biped, put it into the right position in relation to the imported FBX, then just use physique like you regularly would. If you are trying to get animation with the FBX model, I doubt that that animation can be translated to Biped--I don't know of any import format that will allow that.

3. George Mezori SCIFI 3D

George Mezori SCIFI 3D Scifi 3D Forum star 4 VIP

Sep 10, 1999
    I would visit Alias and look at the Motionbuilder demo videos/tutorials and ask in their forums. I haven't played with it much but I've seen all these things and bought the training dvd and it goes into detail what the program can do. You can rig a model in FBX format and import and export that. And I guess the animation with key frames can be exported and imported? FBX is an importable Motionbuilder format (Alias bought Kaydara last year). And BIPED is a MAX format. What happens is inside each program there are toolsets like blending animation files, creating animations using AI, etc. and it can save and do this in it's own format inside that program. Even thought FBX is importable it's probably just the rigged model and/or animation file into MAX. But I don't know what BIPED will do with a FBX file. However MOTIONBUILDER will import a BIPED file and it is editable. You have to check all of this out at ALIAS though.

4. fireresq7

fireresq7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2002
    Ok I will guys...thanks.

~Rory

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.