main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Using Gi's

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Darth_Iren, Aug 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Iren

Darth_Iren Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 24, 2005
    Hi all, it's me again. I was thinking of using mabe a light turtleneck sweater and a martial arts gi for a jedi costume. I'm not really going for anything drop-dead detailed or even really that great looking. It's mostly for a fan film where I play a mentor who turns evil, blah blah. I practiced in my personal gi and a bathrobe (:p) just to get the basic feel of the costume down and I admit it wasn't that bad. I just want people's feed back on this, and yes I did search and found a thread but it really didn't fit my inquery. I'm just basically looking for something functional and severly cheap that won't hinder me in a saber battle. Danke!

2. UltraSWG

UltraSWG Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 20, 2005
    My dark Jedi costume is basically a Gi with tabbards and Jedi belt. It looks great. The tabbards and belt are what really make the costume. And since a Gi is made to fight in, it makes a great foundation for a Jedi costume.

3. darthdefyitall

darthdefyitall Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 15, 2005
    i agree. if you aren't going for anything movie quality or expensive then a Gi works great. part of my Sith costume is a gi top with the sleeves removed (it's an under tunic layer) for freedom of movement and to make it not so darn hot to wear.

4. The_Random_Menace

The_Random_Menace Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 3, 2005
    does anyone know where i can buy a cheap gi...

5. LATOPADEYOR

LATOPADEYOR Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 20, 2005
    I agree... a GI makes a good Jedi top. Mind you, cheap ones are made of a material that doesn't look all that great for a Jedi look, but a quality GI is pretty much half the Jedi outfit....slap on a pair of pants and a poncho and you're pretty much Qui Gonn Jinn, lol.

6. UltraSWG

UltraSWG Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 20, 2005
    I bought Gi's for myself and two sons on ebay. For kids uniforms, ebay is great. Kids tend to beg their parents for karate lessons then lose interest real quick after 2-3 lessons. I got practically brand new uniforms for my boys (tops and bottoms, size 00 and 0) for about 3 bucks each. Another kids uniform ends in 2 hours and it's at 99 cents.

I got my uniform off ebay, too, but it was brand new. I paid about 20 bucks for a black Gi and pants, which is about 20 bucks less than going to a retail store locally.

7. LATOPADEYOR

LATOPADEYOR Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 20, 2005
    Man...20 bucks on Ebay! My Dojo charged me like 70 or 80 bucks or something like that...I don't remember....I got ripped off, lol. But then again, we all need to support our Dojos, so I'm not upset.

8. Abhors Elder

Abhors Elder Guest

www.martialartsmart.com has good prices.

9. Phayze

Phayze Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 23, 2004
    I got some dirt cheap gi at a thiftstore. I think it was like $3.00 for a black one, and $1.50 for a white one (we're planning on dying it so it won't look quite so gi-like).

Ah, thriftstores . . . the costumers delight!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.