Using JavaScript to make the markup codes more versatile.

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Lobot_Omy, Aug 8, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
  1. Night4554 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    well i have the posting cannot be displayed nonsense with PM's and posts, but when i went to your profile I got Night4554sa just like normal....

¤Night
  2. Lobot_Omy Moderator Emeritus

star 6
  3. Night4554 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    i don't know what's going on:

i get the strange posting thing where it goes to the cannot connect to server thing

BUT

i remain logged in, and when i went to your profile it said my name, like normal.

EDIT:I switch computers, logged in, and now i am getting no errors at all...

¤Night
  4. Lobot_Omy Moderator Emeritus

star 6
    OK, I've cleared my Temp Internet Files and it seems to be working fine now.

Edit: How could that have possibly been a coincidence with so many people being involved?
  5. yodaboy Force Ghost

star 5
  6. Lobot_Omy Moderator Emeritus

star 6
  7. yodaboy Force Ghost

star 5
    yes, and it'll become a perm bann if you keep posting while banned!

oh the possibilities, i could make it auto link to add me to their watched users list! i'll have to think about it. [face_devil]
  8. Lobot_Omy Moderator Emeritus

star 6
  9. yodaboy Force Ghost

star 5
    lol, i like the personal touch :D
  10. Lobot_Omy Moderator Emeritus

star 6
    "I could make it auto link to add me to their watched users list! i'll have to think about it."

Don't do it, Yodaboy. You know better than that. I know how tempting the Dark Side must be, but you must remain strong and withhold your primal urges.

Edit: At least you're not sending our browsers into infinite loops, yet. I probably shouldn't have said that.
  11. yodaboy Force Ghost

star 5
    actually, that thought had already crossed my mind. i will be stong and resist the temptation, it should be easy for a jedi master like me right? ;)
  12. Lobot_Omy Moderator Emeritus

star 6
    Yes, be stong, Yodaboy. A JavaScript-Jedi's stength lies not his abilities, but in his control of them.
  13. NathanDahlin Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    This strikes me as similar to cloning...it can be useful if done in moderation, but if you take it too far and/or the capabilities fall into the wrong hands, you can have chaos. :(
  14. Lobot_Omy Moderator Emeritus

star 6
    Ohh, it's so easy for you to take away this capability. Please don't, I don't want this thread closed. :(
  15. yodaboy Force Ghost

star 5
    yeah, please don't. i took the banned link out of my profile.
  16. NathanDahlin Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    No, we don't have any intentions to disable them (besides which, to do so, we'd probably have to contact Snowball [face_plain] ). I'm just worried about how far Javascript capabilities go...
  17. McNerf-Burger Jedi Youngling

star 5
    Tell me, is there any way to use this "javascript" technology to...say...INCREASE YOUR POST COUNT WITHOUT POSTING!?!? Bwa ha ha ha ha.

Alert
  18. Valiowk Chosen One

star 6
    I'm really starting to worry about what would happen if Snowboards gets a new programmer and you all continue doing all this ;)
  19. JediMaster22 Jedi Grand Master

star 8
  20. Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus

star 6
  21. PadawanNick Force Ghost

star 4
    Is there anyway to use this to make functional bookmarks or anchors in a thread?

In the FanFilms forum, we have a large FAQ thread to help the flood of newcomers get started, but it's grown to several pages and it would be nice to have an index added by a mod to the first post. But how?

The scroll function is really not good enough as people have different settings as to how many posts-per-page are displayed.

I know I could use the existing URL to include a "start=XXX" parameter to ensure the proper page was opened, but what about marking an anchor and jumping to it?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!!

Have fun!
  22. Ki-Edi-Mundi Jedi Master

star 4
    Unfortunately, no. To simulate anchors you have to use the scroll() function Lobot desribes in the initial post. I know it's a pain, but that's all we really have to work with.
  23. BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Let's see if this will work:

[image=javascript:A='http://www.google.com'] [image=javascript:B=(screen.width-800)/2] [image=javascript:C=(screen.height-600)/2] [image=javascript:D='width=800,height=600,left='+B+',top='+C+',scrollbars=1']

Click here.

EDIT: It sure did! :cool:
  24. Obi_one_and_only Force Ghost

star 5
    Ooooo, oooooo, ooooo!!!
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

This thread is super!!!
    Thanks a lot Lobot!!!
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.