Using miniatures with the starwars saga edition rpg

Discussion in 'Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by Darth_Nerfherder, Aug 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Nerfherder Jedi Padawan

Hi I've just brought the saga edition rpg and was wondering if it is completely necessary to use the miniatures like the book said? and if there is any good alternatives? thanks.
  2. LightWarden Force Ghost

star 4
    It's nifty, but not necessary. If you have access to a computer while you game, it's often not a bad idea to use RPTools. Specifically, their Token Tool, which you can use to take any image and crop it into a token which you can put down on your map. If you don't have a physical map, you can use Map Tool from that same site once you find an image you want to use. If you haven't found an image you want to use, you can use the internet to find stuff, such as the ever-useful RPGMapShare.com.
  3. Darth_Nerfherder Jedi Padawan

Looks awesome I'll definitely look into using it thanks mate.
  4. buellsmith Jedi Knight

all you really need is a grid and some markers. I have seen gms use coins with a letter or designator drawn on top of coin with a sharpie for each character.
  5. Darth_Nerfherder Jedi Padawan

wouldn't that just make it look kinda cheap??
  6. Katana_Geldar Force Ghost

star 8
    Unfortunately, yes. But we used counters for a long time before the players decided to bring their own miniatures.
  7. Jedi_Dajuan Admin: FanForce and Games

Administrator
    star 6
    It's kind of a one or the other thing. You either use miniatures or you look cheap with using other stuff.
  8. Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    My gaming group almost never uses grids/miniatures/whathaveyou. Games run fine.
  9. DarkLordoftheFins Force Ghost

star 4
    I always felt they limit my player imagination and make action scenes to tabletopish . . .
  10. Darth_Nerfherder Jedi Padawan

What do you guys think about paper miniatures?
  11. Katana_Geldar Force Ghost

star 8
    Unless you are making them of papier mache, I hardly think they would be durable.

It's not that hard to go to a hobby shop and buy a few standard game tokens until you can afford to buy good miniatures.
  12. Koohii Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Several game stores and comic shops have the cheap WotC minis for $1 or so for the super commons. They would probablly be happy to off-load a few. Grab a few generics to take care of whatever you need and go from there. Since you're not trying to complete a set or anything, it should be fairly easy to outfit yourself.
  13. Darth_Nerfherder Jedi Padawan

I really don't think that forking out too much money would be any good for my pockets at the moment. I Reckon I'm better off making my own. Lucky I can draw real good
  14. Koohii Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Another option is to use Lego people.
    Hey, it works for LegoStar Galactica and Irregular Web Comic.
  15. Darth_Nerfherder Jedi Padawan

That could work but i still want to have the diversity of the characters and frankly there isn't much too choose from with the aliens. Unless i like mod them which really don't want too cause I'm a massive lego fan.
  16. Koohii Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    OK, check out Legostar Galactica from Aug 25. Watch the video. That guy manages to create a huge variety of aliens with just a few different pieces.
    Granted, they haven't made Duros, Noghri, Squibs, bothans, or a bunch of the aliens, but what they have made is pretty impressive, and you can make your own any time.
  17. Darth_Nerfherder Jedi Padawan

18. Koohii Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Another alternative to using minis or legos is to turn to a childhood favorite of many: Action Figures!!! Yes, break out the action figures! Whether you grew up with Kenner or Hasbro, Action figures are another way to deal with strategy, tactics, and other aspects of RPGs not related to dialog. And you don't have to stick to one flavor! mix your GIJoe with StarWars, Micronauts, HeMan, Dr Who, MASK (great for vehicles too), Blackstar, Star Trek, Sky Commanders, or anything else you have!

Ok, at $5-9 per figure, this may not be the most practical sollution. And it would be truly crass of me to point out that I'm listing tons of figures (working my way through my collection) on eBay.
  19. Katana_Geldar Force Ghost

star 8
    Aren't they a little on the large side?
  20. Jedi_Dajuan Admin: FanForce and Games

Administrator
    star 6
    Put a link into your sig to the auction. I'd give it a look through :)
  21. Koohii Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Well, 3.75 to 4.25 inches is still smaller than 6 feet.
    Here's one auction:This one.
    I use the same handle on eBay as here. Make it easier. If you click on "View Seller's Other Items", you'll get the lot.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.