main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Using the Divx codec...

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Quinn_Domo, Sep 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quinn_Domo

Quinn_Domo Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 17, 2001
    okay so Im having huuuge issues with compression, and I know the popular thing to SAY around here is, oh just trial and error with compressing....ya well each try takes about half an hour...so someone siggested to me, try the divx encoder. I got the free one, and installed it...and.....I have no idea how to even use it, theres no import or anyhting, its just a bunch of settings you can adjust...but nothing to apply them to.

any help Im using divx 5.1 decoder filter..whatevr that means, it mught not even be the right one, but theres so many, do they all have a system of planets?

any help here, or links to the right thing?

its says it

2. durbnpoisn

durbnpoisn TFN Staff Cast & Crew Database star 5 VIP

May 20, 2002
    Once you have the CODEC installed, you can use your normal editing software to compress it (Premiere, AE, Cleaner, etc...)

In other words, you don't need whatever specialized software they give you.

3. ReactiveLlama

ReactiveLlama Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 19, 2003
    I am a old DivX hand but have to confess that the new DivX baffles me and I don't get results that please me AT ALL with it. Quite honestly I uninstalled it and reinstalled 5.0.2 and have never looked back. Yeah, so I can't play files made with the new DivX. I'll live.

4. durbnpoisn

durbnpoisn TFN Staff Cast & Crew Database star 5 VIP

May 20, 2002
    DivX is a total load of crap as far as CODECs go. Back when it was on Ver4 or so, it was pretty good, but the new version is a mess.

#1, it purposely messes up some of your WMP playback functions.
    #2, the CODEC is impossible to author with.

If you feel that you MUST make an AVI (why, I wouldn't know), you are better off using the MS-MPEG4 CODEC. It's basically the same thing as DivX but, a lot more reliable.

In all reality, you shouldn't even bother with AVI anyway. You should either go with QuickTime, MPG, or WMV (Zap got some really great results with that one).

5. ReactiveLlama

ReactiveLlama Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 19, 2003
    I wouldn't trash DivX totally. The new one IS screwed up, but up to 5.0.2 it was great, and I got much better results with it than I ever got with QT's Sorensen codec which requires yet more software to actually get good results from and I still get MUCH better playback with DivX AVI's than with MOV's including SUPREMELY better sound. MPEG is great but the files are large, WMV is the next way I'd go if not DivX. I do fear that DivX which had soooo much potential has been murdered. I'll continue to use it, but I'm old and like things from the 'good ole days'. :)

If I can find it I'll post my Zip for 5.0.2, using that and 2 pass variable bitrate or even 1 pass quality based should yeild good results.

6. Quinn_Domo

Quinn_Domo Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 17, 2001
    cool Id like that, where I stand right now, I got Divx 5.1 and set everything to its default settings, leaving me with an 11 minute movie, thats 133 megs!!!!...actually I have no idea if thats good or bad. I downloaded the Matrix regurgitated, it was 9 minutes and about 20 megs.....so Im waaay off base here.

I have no preference in type of file be it, a .mov, avi, mpeg, jhyu, ,or whatever, I just want a decent quality file to send to ppl that isnt too big.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.