main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Using the Force in space

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Billy_Dee_Binks, Mar 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    I wonder if that works.
    Obi Wan could Force choke Jango during their chase in the Asteroid Field if he would have gotten close enough to him.
    Or
    Vader could have used the Force to comunicate with Luke during the climatic flight in the Death Star trench.
    Or
    Luke could use force tricks on Imperial
    pilots to battle each other instead of him.

That`s not a what if thread even if I made it look like one, sorry!
    Has Lucas ever said anything about where the Force works and were it doesn`t.
    I mean, it`s a Medichlorian energy field. ;)
    Or is it a energy field of Medichlorians?
    Or an energy field full of little dancing
    Medichlorians?:D

2. Spike_Spiegel

Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2002
    The Force is an energy field that surrounds us, penetrates us, binds the Galaxy together.

According to TPM the only thing midiclorines do is help living beings communicate with the Force.

The Force is everywhere, even in the vacuum of space.

3. Aprentize

Aprentize Jedi Master star 4

Jan 15, 2002
    yes, midiclorians do not demystifie the force no matter what some bashers claim. The force is still just an energy feel, as the previous poster made clear.

4. Count_Navillus

Count_Navillus Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 10, 2002
    Yes, you can use the force in space and even across great distances of space.

5. Koala3K

Koala3K Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 23, 2003
    Sure, you can use the Force through space. For one thing, it makes sense, and (speaking of sense) that's how, for example, Luke knew that Vader was on the Star Destroyer orbiting Endor, or how Vader was able to communicate to Luke at the end of TESB.

What I want to know is how we can hear all the explosions and lasers and all in the space fights, when, since there is no medium for it to travel through, there is no sound in space.

--Koala3K

By the way, Obi-Wan wouldn't use the Force choke because he follows the light side of the Force. :)

6. Trojan_Sock

Trojan_Sock Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 27, 2003
    "there is no sound in space. "

There is in a galaxy far, far away ;) (It's just to far away to hear from here [face_laugh] )

7. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    "Obi Wan could Force choke Jango during their chase in the Asteroid Field if he would have gotten close enough to him."

Except that would be using the Dark SIde, one would think. If he used i to push smaller asteroids into Jango's flight path, that might work. But I think it takes a little more time and concentration than is really possible when flying a ship in combat ;)

"Vader could have used the Force to comunicate with Luke during the climatic flight in the Death Star trench."

Well he culd certainly tell that the Force was strong with Luke, he says as much so he must be using the Force to guage Luke's ability.

"Luke could use force tricks on Imperial
    pilots to battle each other instead of him."

There is an instance in an EU story (Dark Force Rising I think, for those interested) where Luke uses the Force to cloud the minds of Imperial pilots so they're easier to kill.

8. Spike_Spiegel

Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2002
    According to the EU, Palpy uses the Force to help his forces battle. To coordinate his warriors.

9. Trojan_Sock

Feb 27, 2003
    "Obi Wan could Force choke Jango during their chase in the Asteroid Field if he would have gotten close enough to him."

"Except that would be using the Dark SIde, one would think."

Agreed, though Luke uses it in ROTJ. Go figure ?[face_plain]

10. _Xanatos_

_Xanatos_ Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 18, 2003
    The Force is an energy field that surrounds us, penetrates us, binds the Galaxy together.

According to TPM the only thing midiclorines do is help living beings communicate with the Force.

The Force is everywhere, even in the vacuum of space.

I totally agree with this!

11. Koala3K

Koala3K Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 23, 2003
    I've thought really hard, and I can't remember Luke using the dark side in ROTJ. When was this?

--Koala3K

12. Trojan_Sock

Feb 27, 2003
    Against the Gamorrean(SP?) guards, when he comes into Jabba's palace.

13. evanchester

evanchester Jedi Youngling star 2

May 25, 2002
    "there is no sound in space. "

Well, you don't know where the microphones are!
    they could be right next to the engines!

14. Cometgreen

Cometgreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2002
    Luke uses the force in ANH in the trench run. Though, yeah, he "trusts his instincts," but I always assumed that he used the force and kind of guided the torpedo in. That's how I view it anyway. And Vader and Sidious can both sense the force throughout space. But I guess that's not the same as bending lasers or something, which is something I always wanted to happen in a SW space battle. :)

"I'm gonna trust my feelings and use the power of the thumb!"
    "Use the instrument panel Loke!"
    "Huh?"
    "The instrument panel; that's what it's there for. Sophisticated technology designed to hit tiny targets."
    "Okay okay."

-Thumb Wars

Cometgreen

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.