main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Using the force to save people from death?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by jedi-mudja, Jun 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedi-mudja

jedi-mudja Jedi Youngling

Jun 8, 2005
    Is this ability available to both sides of the Force?

2. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    Everyone is developing their own opinions on this, however my personal take is similar to Matthew Stover's within the ROTS novel. In the novel, Qui-Gon explains that only through thinking of others, could self preservation actually occur. By being selfless, that is the way to become one with the Force, and thus become immortal.

Palpatine is manipulating Anakin, lying to him, and convincing him to join him. In my opinion, Palpatine doesn't have the power to stop death, it was all a clever lie that was used to control the boy.

So becoming a force ghost--becoming one with the Force is the only way to achieve immortality, and it is the Jedi that develop and use this skill.

-Seldon

3. mandragora

mandragora Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2005
    I've been wondering what the real nature of this "saving other people from death"-ability Palpatine talks about may be. Granted the possibility that it was simply lie - let's just assume for a moment that Plaguies really had this power. Does this imply immortality? Or is it simply the ability to prolong life("cheat death") at one occasion or for a limited number of occations? It might be something like a very strong version of the transmission of "life force", which is used in Reiki oder Chinese healing techniques (remember Palpatine touching Anakins forehead in the Mustafa-scene? Seemed to resemble something like that to me). Any thoughts on this?

4. DarthSyphus

DarthSyphus Jedi Youngling star 1

May 26, 2005
    I don't think that both sides of the Force have that ability. The Jedi never make that claim, and there is some possibility that the Sith, or at least Darth Plagueis had that power. According to Yoda, death is inevitable even for a Jedi as powerful as he. To cheat death requires a power greater than that of a Jedi, it requires going to the Dark Side of the Force.

5. That_Random_Jedi

That_Random_Jedi Jedi Master star 3

May 14, 2005
    I think Palpy lied about his Master's power. Nobody could have that kind of power. Nobody should, as it goes against the natural order of things and the very pattern of existence itself.

6. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    "The darkside is a path to many things that some consider unatural."
    "Is it possible to learn this power?"
    "Not from a jedi."

So, no. The lightside doesn't have access to this ability. Or if they do, they consider it "unatural" and simply won't do it.

7. jimbostank

jimbostank Jedi Youngling

Jun 5, 2005
    Vader/Anakin stopped Luke from dieing. He saved him but finally stopped someone he loved from dieing.

8. darkside61490

darkside61490 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 1, 2005
    The Dark Side has the ability to prolong life of others, but they will not use it because they only care about themselves.

The Light Side has the ability to become a Force Ghost, but they would rather have the ability to prolong life of others, because they are selfless.

It's so ironic...

So, what Lucas is trying to tell us here, is if you're bad all your life, you can help people, then repent your sins right before the end, and become immortal! Or is this his fiendish scheme...?

Dun dun duuuun

9. DarthSyphus

DarthSyphus Jedi Youngling star 1

May 26, 2005
    The Dark Side has the ability to prolong life of others, but they will not use it because they only care about themselves.

The followers of the Dark Side do not care only for themselves. That is just the Jedi line, which Anakin tells Palpatine in the opera scene. According to Darth Sidious Darth Plagueis "could even keep the ones he cared about from dying". So, the Sith are capable of caring for others. This is also evident in the way that the Emperor saves Darth Vader. It is clear that he cares about him at some level. He no longer needs him, [since he already used him to destroy the Jedi and the Separatists, and the tasks he gives him for the rest of the saga hardly require his talents], but he saves him nonetheless.

10. darkside61490

darkside61490 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 1, 2005
    Well, as that may be true, they face the same dilemma as the Jedi- they would rather have the other power, because that is where their priorities stand.

11. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    So you're actually believing Sidious is telling the truth? This is a man that's outright manipulated everyone around him for at least the last 13 years, and you're thinking he's suddenly going to be truthful with Anakin?

As for "caring" about Vader, look at how quickly he was ready to dispose of him as soon as Luke came on the scene. The only thing he cares about is himself.

The idea that the Sith can become immortal is nonsense.

12. DARTHIRONCLAD

DARTHIRONCLAD Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 28, 2005
    The Force breaks into three parts: the living Force, the netherworld of the Force and the greater Force. When living things die, they go to the netherworld of the Force. I don't believe it matters if they were good or bad, when these characters die they go to the netherworld of the Force. It has to be understood that Jabba, Palpatine, Dooku and Maul don't know that what they're doing is wrong. Just like the Jedi don't know that taking children from their parents and turning them into warriors is wrong. Just like the Geonosians and Kaminoans don't know what they're doing wrong. Qui-Gon was given his consciousness and wisdom because he had faith in Anakin, the Chosen One. Qui-Gon then guided Yoda and Obi-Wan. Just like Obi-Wan guided Luke. Anakin/Vader never redeemed because he never had to redeem himself because he was created by the greater Force to help the people of Star Wars care for one another again. Anakin is the savior of the Star Wars people, he was given his consciousness and wisdom from when he walked in the light. Anakin was made to suffer as Darth Vader for the sins of the people. As Darth Vader, he forced the people to care for one another again. The greater Force guides Star Wars characters to their destinies.

13. THEFORCEISWITHME33

THEFORCEISWITHME33 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2005
    I thought It was kinda weird how in AOTC when Ani & Padme are talking on Tattooine after he found his mother, he stated he'd find a way to keep people from dying. Then of course in ROTS he gets what he thinks is his chance to prevent death for his wife.

14. Coruscanti_Barfly

Coruscanti_Barfly Jedi Youngling

Jun 27, 2005
    Yet also, consider in ROTJ, when Luke goes back to Dagoba, and Yoda is dying.

"Master Yoda, you can't die, I wont let you"

"Strong are you with the force, but not that strong".

This answer suggest it is possible.

15. TheOneX

TheOneX Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2005
    I don't know if you guys care about EU or not but in KOTOR Bastilla uses the light side of the force to save Revans life. So if you its possible if you consider EU part of the Star Wars universe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.