main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Using the Force while taking the fight to the enemy

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by General Immodet, Apr 7, 2013.

1. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    I never really got why Jedi do not use their Force powers that much while fighting.
    When I watched Obi-Wan Force-push Grievous in ROTS, I somehow thought 'why didn't he do that earlier on?'. Why didn't he Force-push Grievous' Magna Bodyguards into the stinkhole?

Probably Lucas just wanted to make the movies more exciting since almost every fight would end immediately when the Jedi would use their Force powers. Another possibility is they had not the technology to film it.

Any ideas? Thoughts?

2. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    It's a question I've been asked by non Star Wars fans before. But only arose after 1999. My only answer was its a crap force power.

3. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    I think IU it's a Jedi restraint think-using the Force for knowledge and defense, not attack. I think the only time we ever see Jedi use the Force in combat is against battle droids.

OOU, it's probably that the fight would end immediately if they did. Not much fun there.

4. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Anakin uses the Force against Geonosians in AOTC.

5. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    It's a power that only makes any sense when force users attempt to use it on each other. It can be blocked, or work if unexpected. On anyone else it may aswell be called the Force Fart.

6. Prodigy_Knight

Prodigy_Knight Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 10, 2013
    The Sith are the ones who fulfill the sorcerer archetype from fantasy in SW, although I agree with you Jedi should use the Force in a active manner more often.

I think the problem was that up until recently you had a heavy pressure in fiction to have your good guys be more physical/knight types opposing mystical/sorcerers villains Lucas made some great advances with the Jedi but this pressure has only recently been broken, or it might not truly be, by mystical/intellectual heroes cough Y'er a wizard, Harry cough

7. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I wouldn't want to see anything like this in Star Wars.
    [​IMG]

8. Darth Vader's Chest Plate

Darth Vader's Chest Plate Jedi Master star 2

Mar 18, 2013
    The ability to prevent a trigger connecting or a lightsaber starting would be a great use of the force for defence.

In fact if Luke's Jedi training about not judging things by their size worked properly, he could throw DeathStarII from his position on Endor.

It'd make for a rubbish film if the Jedi just blocked their opponents weapons but if it's using their abilities I would like to have seen it done once.

General Immodet likes this.
  9. Sitara

Sitara Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2001
    [​IMG]

10. Sitara

Oct 8, 2001
    But yes, it's because of poor writing and probably other reasons (it would complicate things) Hopefully Disney will be smarter and we will see the true power of the Force in the new movies.

Also, regarding Jedi I do think that they do practice a lot of restraint, and hardly ever use the Force offensively against living beings, even if it is to injure or stun them. True, they have no problem chopping living beings up with Lightsabers,but perhaps the Light Side is harder to summon/use effectively offensively against living beings.

Still, Obi Wan vs Grievous and Magnaguards was at least an improvement in this regard: Obi Wan used the Force to destroy the droids, and partially defeated/disarmed Grievous with it.

11. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    [​IMG]

Sitara likes this.
  12. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    because lightsaber duels sets Star Wars apart from any other Sci-Fi out there and lightsabers are a unique weaopn,

I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS YAAAAAH

or

you will try

*push*

or

we';ll handle this...*push* "see you in that rubbish cartoon"

or

you are not a Jedi yet

*push*

would get boring pretty quick...

13. Darth Dominikkus

Darth Dominikkus Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2013
    I feel that there are many answers to this question, and some of the main one's are as follows:
    The Jedi are a more passive and peaceful warrior. Their powers are more focused on defense and keeping things under control.
    The Sith are the more wizardy type of warrior, who use their lightsabers in combat, but also use their lightning, their grip, and their push more often in battles. Their focus is aggression and anger.
    It gives more tension to the battles when you watch them. If we were to just watch Anakin and Obi Wan throw pushes at each other from a distance and a rare saber clashe here and there, that would be a boring duel. I feel that it helped, visually, the audience enjoy the movies more.

14. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    I am still waiting for a Jedi or a Sith to use the Force to make two capital ships crash into each other.
    I always thought Revan would be the one to do it.

15. Skelter

Skelter Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    The Jedis are not meant to use the force that way. They use it for knowledge, and defense, not to attack...That's the best I can think off.

16. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Do droid landing craft count?

General Immodet likes this.
  17. Sitara

Oct 8, 2001
    You think small. Far too small.

I want to see a Sith Lord summon Force Pull an entire sun/star onto a planet, destroying it. Then, I want the sith to use the dark side to cause the sun to explode, destroying the entire system and killing billions, if not trillions.

I want to ******g see WHY the power of the Death Star is INSIGNIFICANT compared to the power of the DARK SIDE

18. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    You already saw that. The force guided a young farm boy from his home to the Death Star and blew it up. People think that the force means cartoonish displays of power, and overlook the obvious.

It also guided a young slave boy to freedom and wiped out the entire Jedi order and later the Sith.

That is what makes the force powerful.

19. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010
    Exactly what CTC said

20. Sitara

Oct 8, 2001
    Perhaps. That is the classic way of looking at it.

But then again, Luke would have been destroyed had Han Solo not emerged out of Hyperspace and blasted Vader and the other TIEs off Luke's tail. The Force guided the torpedos into the Death Star reactor shaft, the Force did NOT yank Han out of Hyperspace and direct him to blast Vader.

And anyway, Luke was using the Light Side. I want to see a Sith show us how the Death Star is crap compared to the power of the DARK SIDE.

21. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010
    the full power of the dark side seems to be force lightning

which is ehh.

Sitara and Pearlsaber like this.
  22. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The EU has more powerful powers.

23. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    I'd say that perhaps it did just that. The force is strong with Luke, but what does that mean? It may mean that events just happen to go his way. The force may not work the way you think it does.

24. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Starkiller made a SD crash down onto a planet.

25. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The TFU novel downplays it a little- saying that the star destroyer was coming down to attack him- but he adjusted its course just enough to make it crash.