main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters USJS Revival: A Renewal of the Insanity? - Working on Saga Awards Excerpt

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by The Musical Jedi, Jan 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Musical Jedi

The Musical Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 13, 1999
    Name: Ieron Counc
    Hair and eye color: Dark brown hair, green eyes
    Height: 5'9"
    Build: Athletic
    Saber color: Blue
    Master/Apprentice: Former Padawan to Tobias McCal. Exchange Master to Stave Delaris.
    Notables: Was present for the first round of USJS. Teaches a class (TBD) that most of the Padawans and exchange students attend (maybe sabers or katas?). Very good with a lightsaber. Very humorous, rarely takes herself seriously. Ties to Intelligence/Undercover portions of Jedi operations. Can be a bit of a firebrand.

Name: Tobias McCal
    Hair and eye color: Blond hair (probably more gray than blond now, but it's hard to tell), blue eyes
    Height: 6'1"
    Build: Very slender, almost frail.
    Saber color: White
    Master/Apprentice: Former Master to Ieron Counc. No apprentice (maybe take an exchange student?)
    Notables: Very quiet and reserved. Worked for years within the Repulic Senate as a Jedi Liason. Now is a member of the Council.

I may also have a younger person, either Jedi or non depending on how many we get in each category. I'm guessing Tobias may not be very active. :p

2. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    Do exchange students have lightsabers?

Name: Stave Delaris
    Hair and eye color: Curly black hair, dark brown eyes
    Skin: Dark tan
    Height: 4' 6"
    Build: Skinny
    Saber color: N/A
    Master/Apprentice: None yet
    Notables: (Likes, dislikes, pervasive rumors, etc.) Stave is very intelligent and remembers everything he sees, hears and reads. He also enjoys tinkering with anything mechanical, and has a gift of using unusual methods for fixing things. He's not very athletic, but not clumsy either. He's afraid of rodents, and allergic to dairy products. He's very shy and sensitive about his size (no one in his family is short, in fact, his father is 6' 5"), and tends to be very serious.

3. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Name: Lisia Meran

Hair: Dark brown

Eyes: Same

Height: 5'6"

Build: Medium

Saber color: Pink

Master: Anika Mekthama

Apprentice: N/A

Notables: She has a secret addiction to low-budget horror films, music that her Master doesn't approve of (her master is a tough character who doesn't approve of all the soppy concerto grosso nonsense) and a Force-blind guy named Yric. She intends to do mostly diplomatic missions where possible once Knighted, but has a lot of growing up to do before then.

4. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    Jecca, I realized no one ever answered your question. If you have an OC you think would fit in, by all mines, use him/her! :)

Alexis, they can if you want them to. If we hold with the tradition of the older thread (which is really up to you writers what you have the characters do), the exchange students were treated pretty much like regular Jedi students - they went to the same classes, participated in the same meditations and saber practices. They were just kind of like very old initiates.

Anakin should get on well with this crowd. [face_devil]

The characters all look very amusing. :p

If all goes according to plan, I hope to have the intro post up by Monday, so everyone can jump in after that.

5. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Oooooooh, characters......I need another day or so to decide what I'll do. Following characters gives it a little structure.

According to the Jedi vs. Sith book, Obi-Wan was born 57 b.b.y. which sounds about right. 25 in ANH, 35 in ATOC, 38 in ROTS and 57 in ANH.

6. 1Yodimus_Prime

1Yodimus_Prime Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2004
    So let me see if I'm clear on this: it's an exchange program where nonJedi teens from various highschool-like academies around Coruscant are put inside the Temple amongst Jedi of their own age to see what it's like. And this RR-type-thing would be the slice-of-life style chronicles of those events? Yes? And we can choose to create a character in whichever applicable category we wish? And, when we start the writing process, each author will be writing from his/her character's perspective, a chapter-type-thing that may or may not progress the overall story?

Okay, if that's accurate, then I'd love to use this as a chance to run one of my existing characters through the wringer. She did great in her first story, but I'm finding that she seems to be made of stone when it comes to testing the limits of her range, and that's just not acceptable.

Mouse is from a waaaay earlier era, but she was from Coruscant, and at times lived near the Temple, so if I just bump her orgin up an undisclosed number of years, I think this would possibly work.

I'll need a day or two to come up with her character bio. Because if I wing it right now, it's gonna be, like, four pages long. Which is clearly not the point, at this stage.
    :p

7. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I'd love to join in, but I barely have time to write my own stuff. :p I'll be reading, though! :D

8. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 1999
    I ended up dreaming about this last night and couldn't get it out of my head all day. I've got a couple of characters written up down below (two old, two new) and I'll be throwing the floor open for anyone to use them as they see fit as I'm rarely going to have the time to write once the school term starts properly.

Name: Kithera Rinani
    Hair and eye color: Blonde hair, blue eyes
    Height: 5'3
    Build: Very slender
    Saber color: Green
    Apprentice: Quijia
    Notables: (Likes, dislikes, pervasive rumors, etc.): Kithera was once known as the temple trouble-maker. Hyper-active, over the top and down right annoying she had little time for rules and regulations. She eloped with Qui-Gon, fought with him, had his baby and then told him she couldn't see him again. That was then. These days she's all grown up, and after Qui-Gon's death some could (and have) gone as far as saying that she's too grown up.

Name: Quijia Delores
    Hair and eye color: Brown eyes, brown hair
    Height: 5'9
    Build: Average build for a girl
    Saber color: Blue
    Master: Kithera Rinani since the age of 5.
    Notables: (Likes, dislikes, pervasive rumors, etc.): Quijia was apprenticed very young, some would say too young and quite possibley the wrong master but she does love Kithera (and is loved in return). Quijia (or Q as her friends call her) is dependable, steadfast and stands up for the rights of others but she still has a mischevious streak.

Name: Kirsh'of Aleski
    Hair and eye color: Blonde hair, blue eyes
    Height: 6'6
    Build: Huge and full of muscles. Imagine a big nordic viking and that's Kirsh.
    Saber color: Blue (he's a healer, it's just for show).
    Apprentice: Heilan
    Notables: (Likes, dislikes, pervasive rumors, etc.). Kirsh is a healer (think physio rather than a doctor though) and although he looks terrifying large he's one of the biggest softies in the temple.

Name: Heilan Coo
    Hair and eye color: Reddy-brown matted (it'd be dreadlocks if it was longer) and big liquid brown eyes
    Height: 6'0'
    Build: Tall and gangly (but going to fill out sooner rather then later) with overlarge hands and feet.
    Saber color: Green
    Master: Kirshof
    Notables: (Likes, dislikes, pervasive rumors, etc.) Heilan is a Zabark (so he has little horns) and didn't always want to be a Jedi. In fact what he wanted to do was work with plants in the Agri-corps but the force (and Kirsh) rather inconveniantly intervened and now Heilan is a 'proper Jedi'. It's not something that he resents, because Heilan will always try to be his best at everything.

9. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    You've got it, Yodimus. :)

Would people prefer if I wait to put up the first post? Monday was just an arbitrary decision, given that I have it off and can actually sit down to write it. :p

10. 1Yodimus_Prime

Mar 13, 2004
    So here's Mouse, transplanted into this era, but otherwise the same.
    If nothing else, she should keep things a bit...interesting.

Name: [alias] Aeona Maclamahonie (( <-- This obscure reference required ENTIRELY TOO MUCH RESEARCH! WHY is Oqi's "Keeper of Secrets" deleted from the Saga?!))
    Her street name is 'Mouse'

Hair/eye color: dark brown hair, dark brown eyes (with a dull-green outer rim and flecks of burnt umber, if you must know)

Height: she's quite tall for her age

Exchange Master: undetermined

Notables: "Aeona" conned her way into the exchange program because she wants to become a Jedi, and knows she's too old. The Temple believes she is the 13 year old daughter of Ladakari immigrants from sector G. In truth, she hasn't been to school since the GFFA's equivalent of kindergarten. She is quite Force sensitive and somewhat self-taught in the art already. A homeless orphan since the age of seven, she's lived the past four years with a swoop gang in the lower levels of the Temple's sector of the planet. She's street smart, world weary and incredibly cynical, but not hot headed or overly negative. Though she can be painfully, and sometimes shockingly, blunt. She is here for coldly pragmatic reasons, and feels uncomfortable around the other, less 'rough' exchange students.

Heh, still long, but probably acceptable.
    So how many characters-slash-participants will we need to have before this starts up? Or will you just get it started, and if more people want to join, they can?

11. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    I'll probably put the first post up on Monday unless people have strong opinions either way. I know we're still waiting for ardavenport, but beyond that, I believe everyone who wants involved has posted character dossiers. If other people come along and want to join, they're more than welcome.

Did oqi delete "The Keeper of the Secrets"? :(

12. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Name: Gretyl Lanshe

Hair/eye color: Blond hair, brown eyes

Height: 5'10"

Exchange Master: Undetermined

Notables: Gret is uptight and straight-laced, a perfectionist who has her sights set on going to University of the Republic to study music. She alternates between snapping at everyone and being politely nervous. She's seen Jedi before, but never thought she'd actually be forced to interact with them.

13. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    Yes, it looks like The Keeper of Secrets is gone.

Characters for USJS:

Name: Master Zamtoe (minor OC who has been in a few stories before)
    Hair and eye color: No hair, not even eyebrows, blue skin, blue eyes, round face
    Height: 175 cm
    Build: Humanoid, male, stocky, broad in shoulder but not very muscular. Wears floor length, tan tunics with off-white stole and obi and a medium brown robe.
    Saber color: blue
    Master/Apprentice: Has trained four apprentices to knighthood, but does not currently have a padawan. His former padawans may or may not turn up.
    Notables: (Likes, dislikes, pervasive rumors, etc.) He is a Temple Custodian. Steady, reliable, patient. If he were at Hogworts, he would be in Hufflepuff. An average saber fighter, he prefers to serve the Force in other ways. He leans toward the Living Force. If you have a malfunctioning Temple droid, or need to get 20,000 bags of Thimwat seeds, or need to be let into a secure room in the bowels of the Temple, Zamtoe is someone you might call. He is not the only Temple custodian (there are many; it's a big Temple), but he is one of the oldest. Also teaches the occasional lessons on Temple maintenance and etiquette.

Name: Dalrim Kurzandiak (DAL-rim Kur-ZAN-di-ak) (new OC)
    Hair and eye color: short black hair with a touch of gray, dark brown eyes, very dark brown skin
    Height: 170 cm
    Build: female, average for a Human, a little busty with an hourglass figure.
    Saber color: N/A, non-Jedi
    Master/Apprentice: N/A, non-Jedi
    Notables: (Likes, dislikes, pervasive rumors, etc.) She is a tile archeologist staying at the Temple. She dresses well, but not extravagantly and with no jewelry since she lives on a scholar's salary and jewelry would interfere with her work. She is neat and efficient and academically ambitious. When the Jedi Temple has a crack in an ancient floor salvaged from the ancient Ossus Jedi Temple, they have to call an expert like her. She demands full access to all ancient areas to do the job properly, but what she really wants is to do a study of the decorative flooring of the Jedi Temple that will likely secure her tenure at her University on the core world of Cair. Is obliged to give seminars on her work.

14. 1Yodimus_Prime

Mar 13, 2004
    Know what that means, don't you.
    There's a real possibility that she's putting serious consideration into the publication of an original work based on that story.
    :eek:

15. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    Yep, that's what I think, too. It's happened before. The first novels of Susan Matthews, an author in Seattle, were based on her SW Imperial OCs. I still have the print fanzines from the 1980's of those.

16. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Very interesting.

17. 1Yodimus_Prime

Mar 13, 2004
    The must unusual discoveries made in the strangest places. Ah, such is life.
    Okay, I did a count to see what we've got so far:

[b]Jedi Masters:[/b]
    - K'Vel Kaelson [30] (Padawan: [b]undetermined[/b])
    - Chanala Roisine [50] (Padawan: N/A. most recently brought Josym Huranz to Knighthood)
    - Leron Counc [28] (Exchange Padawan: Stave Delaris)
    - Tobias McCal [62] (Padawan: N/A. most recently brought Leron Counc to Knighthood)
    - Kithera Rinani [37] (Padawan: Quijia)
    - Kirsh'of Aleski [29] (Padawan: Heilan)
    - Master Zamtoe [110] (Padawan: N/A. has brought four Padawans to Knighthood)

[b]Young Jedi:[/b]
    - Jorya Lank [16 - twin] (Master: Ellia Taske)
    - Lisia Meran [18] (Master: Anika Mekthama)
    - Quijia Delores [17] (Master: Kithera Rinani)
    - Heilan Coo [17] (Master: Kirsh'of Aleski)

[b]NonJedi:[/b]
    - Sela Lank [16 - twin] (wealthy student. Exchange Padawan to: [b]undetermined[/b])
    - Stave Delaris [16] (intelligent student. Exchange Padawan to: Leron Counc)
    - Aeona Maclamahonie [13 - fabricated] (fake student. Exchange Padawan to: [b]undetermined[/b])
    - Gretyl Lanshe [16] (perfectionist student. Exchange Padawan to: [b]undetermined[/b])
    - Dalrim Kurzandiak [41] ([i]Tile Archaeologist[/i])
    [hr]
    We seem to have plenty of Masters, and the count of young Jedi looks good. The number of exchange student would be more than managable. Do you remember how big the cast of exchange students was last time, [b]MJ[/b]?

18. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006

19. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    The original USJS was only what you could ever describe as organised chaos and at the beginning of the series it wasn't even organised. There was never any official records kept of the number of characters who participated or even if every student ended up with a Master it was pretty much a free-for-all. So the number of masters to non-Jedi students sounds about right to me for the moment. I, for one, would love to see more people writing as I'm a strong believer in 'the more the merrier' and it's a really good environment to hone and develop a whole stack of writing skills.

Looks as if we are good to go :D

Kithera

20. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    What Kit said. I really have no idea how many people were in the original. :p But the count looks good.

And it's Ieron. With an "I". Letter between H and J. :D

21. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    I was just wondering......what is an 'exchange' padawan? A non-Force user taking on the studies of a Jedi padawan as part of the exchange program?

22. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    You've pretty much got it in one! Imagine that the Jedi temple has opened its doors a chosen few in order to show how they work from inside the temple. The students come and do training like a normal Jedi student (except they aren't asked to lift anything using only their mind) and they learn from the Jedi while the Jedi learn from them. Then proceed to throw in a whole stack of shinanagens (sp), lots of angst, a bit of romance, some more angst and that's about it really :D

Seriously, if you want an idea of what it was like in the original just read the first couple of pages of the old threads that Musical linked to. While we are trying to repeat history, it may give you a better idea. :D

Kithera

23. 1Yodimus_Prime

Mar 13, 2004

Ah, repeating history: the most fun method for running headlong into disaster. :cool:

And it's Ieron. With an "I". Letter between H and J.
    I blame Times New Roman, and its ridiculous demand that all lowercase 'L's look like ones, which already look like uppercase 'i's to begin with. Hrmph!

24. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    Ahh *)£)*£%£*"!

That should be "While we ARE NOT trying to repeat history..."

I should know that (being a history teacher and all) that while learning from history is fantastic, repeating is is generally not a good idea :p Sorry about that [face_blush]

Anyway, I am excited about this starting, even if I can't apparently put sentences together properly.

Kithera

Edit 1 & 2: Stupid punctuation

25. Quigonjecca

Quigonjecca Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 2, 2007
    I hope I'm not too late to sign up!

Name: Jecca Brynne
    Hair and eye color: Brown hair, brown eyes
    Height: 5'5
    Build: Big boned, tall, but not heavy
    Saber color: I wish! I'd love a yellow blade...
    Apprentice: Oooh, is that what I'm going to be?
    Notables: (Likes, dislikes, pervasive rumors, etc.): Jecca is a very musical girl. She carries around her guitar everywhere, and loves to sing. She also has a huge music library, and relates everything to music.

Jecca is very different from most teenagers. She's not concerned with how she looks, and doesn't wear a 'mask' when talking or interacting with others. She's completely and totally herself. On top of that, she thinks she will fit in quite well at the Jedi Temple and is estatic about going.

Jecca was born on Naboo, but moved to Coruscant at the age of six. She's not exactly athletic, but is intelligent, and a quick thinker. Pretty much the only things she dislikes are bloody movies, okra, asparagus, and rap music.

Name: Krishna Skywalker
    Hair and eye color: Black hair, black eyes
    Height: 5'2
    Build: Slender and small boned
    Saber color: black (it's a long story)
    Master: Formerly Qui-Gon Jinn in her AU story, but now... Oh I suppose she could be someone else's apprentice???
    Notables: (Likes, dislikes, pervasive rumors, etc.): Krishna is a manipulative, extremely dangerous, dark-sider living in the Jedi Temple. She is immune to lightsaber wounds, and has a bit of Sith blood in her veins. She's nearly always teetering towards the Black in her Force-presence. She loves anything black and hates anyone who dares to get in her way.

I don't have masters for either of my apprentices-- how does that work?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.