main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Utah Jazz ... 'I can't wait.'

Discussion in 'Archive: Salt Lake City, UT' started by Phantom-Iam, Oct 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phantom-Iam

Phantom-Iam Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 24, 2002
    I any one else excited about this season?

Kirilenko signed until 2011

Utah Jazz Official site

With Carlos Boozer, Matt Harpring, Mehmet Okur, Raul Lopez, Carlos Arroyo, and Andrei Kirelenko what kind of season do you think the Jazz will have?

Any predictions?

I think the Jazz will end the regular season at least 5th in the West. I'm hoping for better.

[image=http://js.private.chez.tiscali.fr/jazz.jpg]

2. ondiv

ondiv Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 18, 2002
    I'm totally stoked for the season! The team looks GREAT this year (even though I can't pronounce half of their names [face_blush] ).
    I've been tempted to buy season tickets!

3. Jowebee17

Jowebee17 Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 16, 2003
    No...Nope....Not excited at all.

Sorry to be so negative, but pro basketball has become a rather dull, self-centered game. I place it only slightly ahead of hockey in the top 4 major sports.

Maybe, just maybe the state of Utah should pull its head out and get us a pro football team or even a pro baseball team. Then we wouldn't all have just "The Jazz" to get excited about.

Just my opinion though.

4. Amber_eyes

Amber_eyes Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 22, 2001
    I'm excited about the Utes. Coming from Chicago I've never encountered an undefeated team before. [face_mischief]

5. 20x6

20x6 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2003
    I'm so excited for the Utes! Too bad they weren't like this when I was a student.

As for a pro football team, I really don't think it's feasable in Utah. Most NFL games are on Sunday. And while everyone may watch it at home, a lot of people might be worried about who'll see them out on the Sabbath. They would be hard pressed to fill the stadium enough to make the cost worth it.

And with college ball being what it is here, games on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday night might be too much.

A baseball team might work. The Stingerzz (or whatever they're calling them now) do alright, and the draw of seeing other MLB teams could draw enough of a crowd to make it worth while. But until then the Jazz are it.

6. Phantom-Iam

Nov 24, 2002
  7. 20x6

20x6 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2003
    Yep, I'm leaving shortly. In fact I'll be manning the Pancriatic Cancer "PanCan" booth. We'll be taking donations and giving out pins - and watching the game!

8. ondiv

Nov 18, 2002
    I almost went to the game tonight! My friend at work had tickets but no one would cover my shift to get it off. I hear it was incredable!!!

9. Jedi_Angell

Jedi_Angell Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 23, 2004
    Last time I went to a Jazz game they played in the Salt Palace.

10. Phantom-Iam

Nov 24, 2002
    [face_dancing] WOW

Game stats

Kirilenko had 8 blocked shots, Harpring with 23 pts off the bench. :D

Here's a recap in case you missed any of it...
    SALT LAKE CITY (Ticker) -- Carlos Boozer made quite an impression in his debut with the Utah Jazz.

Boozer scored 12 of his 27 points in the first quarter as the Jazz cruised to a 104-78 victory over the Los Angeles Lakers in their season opener.

Signed by Utah as a free agent in the offseason, Boozer combined with All-Star Andrei Kirilenko to score all of the points in a 7-0 spurt to open the game for the Jazz, who never trailed.

Boozer also pulled down 11 rebounds for his first double-double with Utah after recording 41 with Cleveland last season. The third-year forward shot 10-of-13 from the floor.

Kirilenko had four of his career-high eight blocked shots in the first quarter as the Lakers did not score a basket until Caron Butler made a layup with 5:30 on the clock.

"I think Kirilenko set the tone early with the blocks," Lakers coach Rudy Tomjanovich said. "We made some aggressive moves to the basket and he erased them and got the momentum going, and that put us in a sort of frantic mode."

Kirilenko, who finished fifth in Defensive Player of the Year voting last season, helped the Utah defense hold the Lakers - sluggish in playing their second game in as many days - to a franchise-low 29 percent shooting.

"It feels good to have everybody helping each other out, playing defense," said Kirilenko, who scored 16 points and pulled down six rebounds. "I think we won the game tonight because our team defense was so good."

Utah led, 45-28, at halftime and pushed the lead to 25 points in the third period before Kobe Bryant took things into his own hands, scoring 27 of his 38 points after halftime.

Lamar Odom was the only other Laker in double figures with 14. In Tuesday's 89-78 victory over Denver, Los Angeles had four players reach that plateau.

"(Kobe) did it all tonight," Tomjanovich said. "I thought Lamar got things going there a little bit, but we just couldn't find other guys to make shots here and there. Role players have got to make some shots, too."

Bryant's jumper with 6:03 remaining pulled Los Angeles within 77-64, but Matt Harpring scored 14 of his 23 points down the stretch as the Jazz pulled away.

"(Boozer and Harpring) played well tonight," Jazz coach Jerry Sloan said. "They got some baskets and were able to finish around the basket. That's what we have to do. Both of those guys can get around the basket and score."

Bryant, who dished out seven assists against Denver on Tuesday, had just one against Utah. T he Lakers had just seven, also a franchise low, while Jazz point guard Keith McLeod, who was starting for the injured Carlos Arroyo, had eight.

"When we did move the ball to the open guy tonight, we just didn't make our open shots," Tomjanovich said.

Making his first career start with Carlos Arroyo nursing a sprained left ankle, McLeod turned the ball over just once in 29 minutes.

11. ondiv

Nov 18, 2002
    how about we all go to a home game (cheap seats of course)? I think that would be fun! Who's with me??!!

12. The-Rookie

The-Rookie Jedi Youngling star 2

May 2, 2003
    I dont like the spazz. I love the utes.

13. Phantom-Iam

Nov 24, 2002
    I dont like the spazz. I love the utes.

ok you should make a Utes thread.

how about we all go to a home game

That sounds fun. When can you go?

14. ondiv

Nov 18, 2002
    I'm good for any weekend home game!

15. Phantom-Iam

Nov 24, 2002
    Ok, the next Friday game is Nov 26th vs Houston Rockets, the next Saturday game is Jan 15th vs Cleveland Cavs.

Was there anyone else who would like to go too?

16. ondiv

Nov 18, 2002
    I'm thinking the January game is going to be out best bet. Let's shot for that one!
    How much are the cheap seats going for now? $10-15 a seat?

17. Phantom-Iam

Nov 24, 2002
    I'm thinking the January game is going to be out best bet. Let's shot for that one!
    How much are the cheap seats going for now? $10-15 a seat?

[face_thinking] Is that because you responded after the first game I suggested :p Jan 15th sounds good. The cheapest tickets are 10 bucks.

Those who want to go PM me if you wanted to meet up before/during/after the game.

18. ondiv

Nov 18, 2002
    I'm all about going to the game so you can expect me there!
    What if we all went together, sat together, got mad and threw our beverage cups together...make it like an unoffical FF gathering?
    I'm game if anyone else is!

19. Amber_eyes

Amber_eyes Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 22, 2001
    That might be fun, I'll have to see what my work schedule is going to be then.

20. ondiv

Nov 18, 2002
    Okay kids, here is the low down:
    Jan 15th, Saturday night.
    Jazz game againts the Cleveland Cavaliers
    $10 a ticket.

If you want in please PM me because I'll be buying the tickets January 1st!!

Peeps who are in on the fun:
    ~ondiv
    ~phantom_iam
    ~frio_carr

21. Phantom-Iam

Nov 24, 2002
    A big thank you to ondiv for taking charge on getting this organized.

[image=http://images.tsn.ca/images/stories/20040310/ak_84770.jpg]

I wish this guy would be playing :(

22. Phantom-Iam

Nov 24, 2002
    Ok two good wins for the Jazz. They beat the Spurs for the first time in like 20 trys and last night they beat the best team in the NBA, the Suns.

And for those going to the game on Saturday Look at this

23. ondiv

Nov 18, 2002
    I know!! Isn't it exciting!! I heard that AK might be playing the other day on the radio :D :D

I have the tickets, we have a total of 5 people coming. It isn't too late to get in on this. There are seats around us that are still open that I can grab. I have everyone's tickets; Phantom I'll drop your off at your home tomorrow for you.

I'm planning on doing dinner afterwards (read, Denny's/IHOP/that sorta thing). Everyone is invited of course if you don't have any other plans!

EDIT:Last minute additions!! (boobs)
    We now have NINE people coming!! For those of you who were at my New Years party it is almost the same group :)
    Derek (frio_carr) + 1
    Erin (ondiv)
    Steve (Phantom_Iam)
    Lisa
    Tyler
    That chick that follows Tyler around
    Mike
    Sam

24. ondiv

Nov 18, 2002
    WOW!!! What a great time we had...even thought he Jazz lost *grumbles* I swear, those officals were blind!!
    Next game that I'm going to is the Febuary 5th game...but no cheap seats this time! I'm thinking lower bowl below the hoop. Yeah baby!!!

25. Phantom-Iam

Nov 24, 2002
    Yes it was fun even if the Jazz blew a big lead and couldn't recover.

those officals were blind!!
    yes they are!

Next game that I'm going to is the Febuary 5th game...but no cheap seats this time! I'm thinking lower bowl below the hoop

Just some extra info for those who don't know.

Feb 5th's game is vs New Orleans Hornets. I think were are going for the $40 ticks
    [image=http://www.nba.com/media/jazz/seatingchart_05.gif]

talk to ondiv or me if you're interested. :D

Come on you know ya wanna!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.