main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

V for Vendetta Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Feb 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    They can if they to. I've seen movies open on Sunday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. Though against Chicken Little, it would've bombed especially opening on a saturday.

2. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    They could if they wanted to but like you said, it would be stupid.

You throw away one of your biggest days opening on a Saturday. Wednesday and Thursdays are usually only seen in the summer or some other holiday as your target audience is in school the rest of the time. I can't think of any major Hollywood movie opening on a Sunday. Maybe an indy film here or there but not something like this at that time of year.

Its a moot point though since the original opening date was Friday November 4th.

3. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    Wolf Creek opened on a Sunday.

Anyways getting back to pushing the movie back, it coming off nothing big to start off March, unless you call the Shaggy Dog something, but it will run into trouble with Basic Instinct 2 and Ice Age 2 in week 2 and 3 respectively.

4. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Because it was Christmas.

Two weekends with no real competition will help its box office for sure. Though you forgot about Slither opening with BI:2 and IA:2 on the 31st. Mal fighting giant worms, its going to open huge ;)

5. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    I haven't even seen a spot yet for Slither. Not like V which has a nice promotional campaign. I guess since it's in IMAX they're focusing more attention on it.

6. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Well it comes out end of March and we're just now starting that month. So there is plenty of time to see ads for it. Speaking of that the studio recently announced a "make your own commercial" contest for the movie.

Thats a story for a different thread.

Since we flipped pages and people tend not to read back I'll just ask again if any one knows why the Wachowskis aren't directing? Did they just sell the script and not get much say in that regard? If so why is it their 1st AD thats doing it?

Just wondering if anyone had heard.

Edit: What a coincidence. SciFi has a little blurb from Silver about the financial future about the movie:

Silver Takes Vendetta Risk
    Mega-producer Joel Silver told SCI FI Wire that he considers his latest film, the sure-to-be-controversial V for Vendetta, to be no more or less a commercial risk than any of his earlier efforts. Silver has produced such hits as Predator, the Matrix trilogy and the Lethal Weapon series, as well as box-office duds like the recent House of Wax remake. "Well, I think movies are risks," Silver said in an interview. "There's no such thing as a movie that isn't a risk."

V for Vendetta, based on the graphic novel by Alan Moore and David Lloyd, follows the disfigured and masked terrorist V (Hugo Weaving) as he fights a corrupt and fascistic government. V enlists a young woman (Natalie Portman) as his ally.

"Look, I've made a lot of stupid action films in my life, which, by the way, I'm proud of," Silver said. "I like stupid action movies. But when we made The Matrix, we felt that the audience really responded to that very thing: that it wasn't a sure-fire commercial movie. It was complex. It was difficult to follow. It was hard to understand. It was full of cool action sequences and groundbreaking action sequences in many ways, but it was a very smart movie. We realized people wanted to see them. At least in that case they were intrigued by the idea of this smart action film, which is like a contradiction in terms, pretty much."

Silver said the same may apply to V for Vendetta. "I was always looking for movies that were action films masquerading as something else," he said. "I was always trying to find material that could be provocative and interesting, but could still have action elements that would kind of give it that, you know, action patina, but still have something there. Now this movie doesn't have the kind of action elements we're used to. I mean, there are a couple of great knife fights, and there's a cool explosion here and there. But it's much more, you know, a dialogue-laced movie. It's a lot of talk and a lot discussion. I just thought it would work. I hoped it would work. I hoped people would like it and go see it." V for Vendetta opens nationwide on March 17. ?Ian Spelling

7. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    Just got back from the movie. All I can say is that it was powerful. I didn't agree with nearly any of its political stuff, but hey in reality it's a work of fiction. No need to get puffy, right?

But even still disagreeing with its finer points, boy does it ever make you want to agree. This is not an average Comic Book movie. This is a movie with a STRONG message, and it gets it out with a bang.

I would give it a solid: A

8. Darth-Vassago

Darth-Vassago Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2004
    Went to an advanced screening with some friends a day ago. I'm going to come right out and say this is the best movie I've seen since Episode III.
    The movie was well executed in all aspects. I don't have any problems with acting, as it was all done very well, and Hugo Weaving is amazing as V. He portrays the emotions of the character very well, despite the fact that he's wearing that mask. As Sn4tch said, the movie is very powerful, and I found it wildly entertaining. The message is there and, as stated, it's quite bold and powerful. I enjoyed the movie very much, and I do believe that a second viewing would not be a terrible idea.

I give the movie a very solid A, as well. :)

~Vassago

9. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    I really am behind on this. I didn't know he played V. I didn't know he was in the movie at all.

10. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    i'm seeing the movie tonight with some friends. i'm looking forward to it! :) from alot of the reviews it's looking to be a good movie

11. CloneTrooper_3000

CloneTrooper_3000 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 19, 2005
    My fiancee' and I are going to see it tonight, I'm really excited. I've been looking forward to this ever since it was announced, seeing as V for Vendetta is one of my all time favorite graphic novels.

12. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    I'm going to see it this afternoon. I've been waiting so long for this and everybody says it's real good. There's other graphic novel adaptations I didn't like. Hopefully this will not disappoint.

13. Sn4tcH

Oct 22, 2004
    There's a point where V has his mask off, but he's standing in the shadows. You're not supposed to know it's him at that moment, but when he speaks he sounds almost exactly like Agent Smith. Plus since he has his mask off his hair has the outline of Smiths, and he's even wearing a suit in the scene.

I couldn't help myself, I leaned over to my friends and said, "Hello, Mr. Anderson."

14. weezer

May 16, 2001
    I think that James Purefoy is still in the final cut as V as well as Weaving.

15. Sn4tcH

Oct 22, 2004
    Weaving is credited as V though.

16. Yodas-evil-twin

Yodas-evil-twin Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 3, 2005
    So just how gory is this film.

17. Sn4tcH

Oct 22, 2004
    Depends on what your view of gory is, but the last fight scene is pretty intense with the ammount of blood. Otherwise it's pretty tame. Some diseased bodies, and burnt skin, but otherwise not bad.

18. Yodas-evil-twin

Yodas-evil-twin Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 3, 2005
    For the last fight scene, is it just blood or is it also guts?

19. Sn4tcH

Oct 22, 2004
    Just blood, but it comes out in big gushes.

Speaking of gushing, that final fight scene was just so utterly spectacular. If you can really call it a fight scene. More like a slaughter.

He takes out like 10 soldiers before they can reload their clips! CLIPS

20. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    I thought that aspect was done Sin City-esque. The rest of the movie isn't that gory. It's more of a psychological feel towards torture.

21. weezer

May 16, 2001
    The other guy didn't even get mentioned in the credits? I thought the SAG had rules about that.

22. Padme-Wan_SkyWindu

Padme-Wan_SkyWindu Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 1, 2002
    I saw this and it exceeded my already high expectations. Rarely do I enjoy films more than I expected to going in. There's plenty of action but it is well balanced with thought-provoking messages and it has a very well-written script. I expected great performances from Natalie Portman and Hugo Weaving, but the other memebers of the cast I had not heard of before were very good as well. I highly recommend it.

23. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    I was very intereested by this one from the first trailer - I'm deliberating on when to see it but it sounds like one I might enjoy. :cool:

24. Sn4tcH

Oct 22, 2004
    I'll be honest, I didn't sit through the whole credits (seen it twice now!). But I will say that they do one of those "Picture of character with name of actor next to it" kind of credits. And when V's picture showed up it only said Hugos name. I imagine he's somewhere in the credits though.

It was annoying tonight though. When Evey kissed V's mask these stupid kids behind us laughed really loudly. Then continued chuckling until the credits, I kid you not.

Also, I present to you all the startling sequel to V for Vendetta:

[image=http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a365/Sn4tcH/Tbb74328.jpg]

C is for Cookie

25. Darth-Vassago

Darth-Vassago Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2004
    The kiss to the mask was sort of symbolic in a way, I thought. Though I can imagine people laughing at it, or thinking it stupid. I am anxious to the see the movie again, and that's rare. Usually I am very content seeing a movie just once, and then maybe once more on DVD. This movie, however, I will see again. :)

~Vassago

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.