main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Calgary V for Vendetta: Opening Weekend

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by whisperjedi, Feb 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whisperjedi

whisperjedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 19, 2005
    Saw a trailer for this, all that hooked me was, the Legendary Pictures logo, and something about DC Comics. (Might see).

2. LEXIAL

LEXIAL Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 29, 2004
    I just saw the trailer for that movie... it does look interesting. Tonight I also just happen to watch the show " The Outer Limits" Which had guest star Mark Hammill and one of the main female characters from the "Earth 2" series. Can't remember her name at the moment though. It was quite good and Mark has such a nice voice. At least to me anyway. ;) He plays a doctor who is mastering a machine that experiments on the brain.

3. ravencrow666

ravencrow666 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 23, 2006
    V for vendetta is an Allan moore comic, he is pretty much the grandfather of Vertico comics witch runs Hellblazer, Sandman, Swamp thing, and so on, basicly all the really fed up DC crap that dosen't go with the usual Superman Batman run.
    Allan Moore pretty much came up with the Jokers origin with the book The Killing Joke. other movies made from his comics include Leage of Extraordiary men, and From Hell
    yes, i am a geek, i understand

4. DrHaggis

DrHaggis Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 7, 2004
    I'm a big Alan Moore fan too, but I haven't yet read V for Vendetta, so I'm not sure how true to the source material this adaptation will be. The trailers are compelling though.

"League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" is a fantastic series, and I'm waiting for the third volume to start. The film missed much, but it was still kind of fun.

I actually enjoyed "Constantine," even though I believe it to be only tangentially related to the characters Moore created.

Moore has distanced himself from all movie adaptations of his work and he gave his advance for "V for Vendetta" to the artists.

5. Dooks

Dooks Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    I'm all over this movie Alan Moore is a comics genius.

6. whisperjedi

Apr 19, 2005
    Read "The Watchmen", liked it, though haven't read a thing about V-4 Vendetta, know that The makers of Matrix are behind it, and this "Portman girl" is in it.

7. whisperjedi

Apr 19, 2005
    Since March.11-13th is a busy week for FF membrs, would like to remind that a "little DC comic" movie is coming out the following weekend on IMAX.

8. ShatirLavan

ShatirLavan Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 19, 2005
    It's on IMAX? Wicked! Chinook then?

9. winbrant

winbrant Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 17, 2005
    Read the review in the Herald...5 out 5!

And, yes, if you can, this is a must read before the movie. From what I've seen in the trailers it is quite faithful to the "graphic novel"...I think I'll have to dig it out.

winbrant

10. ravencrow666

Jan 23, 2006
    ya... i did imax for batman and only half the screen was used i don't think it's worth it. you get to see the same thing on the regular screen anyway. either way i am going but i live near sudridge so unless anyone has a really good reason to go elswear (i am flexable)that is where i will be.

11. ShatirLavan

Sep 19, 2005
    V for Vendetta in Imax at Chinook is playing at 6:50 and 9:55. If I go I'll probably go for the 6:50. Anyone wanna head to the French Maid afterwards? Take BobaJay to see the strippers for his birthday?

12. ShatirLavan

Sep 19, 2005
    I'm not feeling so hot today. My attendance at V is no longer a sure thing. But if I do go I'll be at chinook.

13. ravencrow666

Jan 23, 2006
    the movie rocked ...ended up at chinook anyway. but the movie rocked very well done

14. veritate

veritate Jedi Master star 2

Oct 25, 2004
    I have to admit, I was a little reluctant about this one. I am still stinging a bit from my final MATRIX encounter, and seeing that the Warshawski brothers were involved with this turned my stomach a bit. I'm also a big fan of Alan Moore, and was none-too-impressed with what the big screen did to "League"... These two things sort of had me on the fence about whether it would be worth my while.

But I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. On many levels.

I actually said the phrase, "Okay, maybe I like the W. bros a *little* bit..."

:eek: That's gotta' tell you something.

15. Dooks

Dooks Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    Saw it on friday and enjoyed it alot they did a great job. Was werry because the W bros name was attacted but they didn't direct and that saved us all. Portman does an excellent job in this movie performence is great. Big old 5 out of 5 from this fanboy.

16. Ky-Wan

Ky-Wan Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 19, 2002
    Yeah I saw here in Edmonton and I thought it was wicked. Just wish Natalie can pull of that kind of drama on other films

17. SAND-CRAWLER

SAND-CRAWLER Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    Saw it on IMAX. Great flick. Finally, an "action" movie that places more importance on story, characters and ideologies than action itself. Haven't seen one like that since the original Matrix. And in regards to Reloaded and Revolutions, I heard that the Wochowski brothers never wanted to do them in the first place but Keanu and Joel Silver twisted their arms to do it. V took it all back to the original Matrix style storytelling and ideology.

18. Magpie Jen

Magpie Jen Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 19, 1999
    Dr Smith and I finally saw it a couple days ago - I hadn't read the books or anything and was completely naive to the story or characters.

I want to give it a little while longer to sink in, but I was very impressed to find out it was a Science Fiction story first and action... well, what action? There was a cool final fight, but I wouldn't have called it an action movie. Portman was excellent. The twists were intelligent - you could just about figure out what they would be before they happened (which I like way better than when they come out of left field). The theme was insightful. I think this movie and Serenity complement each other with what they say about Freedom.

Jen

19. whisperjedi

Apr 19, 2005
    I've still haven't seeen it!?.

20. alexandertrooper1

alexandertrooper1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 13, 2005
    I do really want to see this movie. Man it looks good but what up with the DC comic bash. Like come-on if it wasn't for dc comics as we know it wouldn't be around. Plus its not like there making hundreds of bad movies like marvel. I do really enjoy comics but its not fair to insalt any company. Everyone has there cool chatacters such as spiderman, cable, blade, punisher, superman, batman, wonerwoman, flash you name it but everyone does have the duds as well. So come on.

The only thing I think is dumb is companies reveamping other companies characters then saying it was theirs. Marvels been doing it for years. Then trying to sue the original company saying it was theirs. Such as the captain marvel thing considering Shazam aka captain marvel is out way before marvels captain marvel was even thought of. That I think is sad. (by the way mavel lost that law suit and paid huge to DC)

21. Starkiller77

Starkiller77 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 29, 2005
    If you liked the movie I highly recommended the comic. Going into an Alan Moore adaptation a fan will certainly be prepared for the worst, but I think the movie turned out ok.

I thought the first 90 minutes was really good, other than not representing the world as a totally oppressive state where citizens are basically drones without much free will... The people seemed like they enjoyed their lives and the government was totally normal. It was a normal world.

The last half hour was disappointing, bastardizing the story to create a pointless and unrealistic (storywise) action scene, and the filmmakers totally wussing out and hollywood-izing the ending. That being said, I still walked out of the theatre pretty happy and figured a lot of people would like the flick. It could of been a whole, whole, whole lot worse.

22. Apailana

Apailana Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 19, 2005
    FINALLY saw it, and I'm completly speechless. That was beyond amazing... except my mom and I were sort of dissapointed that all Evey had to do was pull the lever. We had been under the impression Natalie was a major part of te Revolution.
    There were a few plot holes that bugged us, and I was beyond confused when V revealed that he had been doing all that crap to Evey, but it was a pretty good flick.

23. Starkiller77

Starkiller77 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 29, 2005
    Natalie was given a lot more to do in the movie than in the book, which was pretty good. I don't think Natalie would have been interested in the role if they had carried her character directly from the comic. The final payoff is much more powerful in the book though.

Either way, on one of those extremely rare non-StarWars days, it's worth a watch or a read.

24. Vadersmistress66

Vadersmistress66 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 3, 2005
    I went and saw this last night, it was really good! And i loved the ending.

25. whisperjedi

Apr 19, 2005
    "V" is for very good. Just got back from ImAx...Why didn't anyone tell me Superman is coming out on IMAX...plus heard earlier that some of it will be in 3-D. There was enough light, so I could actually see the trailer. Also... the "V" movie wasn't so bad either...did the graphic novel actually end the same way in the movie? Most likely won't read the book since I wasn't a fan of the art. Maybe I'll listen to it on tape. Why is Natalie Portman still single?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.