main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

V: The Second Generation

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by JediPrettyBoy, Aug 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediPrettyBoy

JediPrettyBoy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2005

This appears to be a reality now on the official Kenneth Johnson website.

The book comes out in October of this year, and the movie and/or miniseries is currently in production for release in 2008.

Ignore the V: The Final Battle and V: The Series.

Kenneth Johnson was barely, if at all, involved with either of these.

This one picks up 20 years after Julie (Faye Grant) and Elias (Michael Wright) spray the letter "V" over one of the Vistors' posters. This sequel will go with Kenneth Johnson's original storyline which was that the "enemies" of the Visitors mentioned by Martin in the original series will show up at some point.

Sounds kind of like THE DONNER INCIDENT with which we are all familiar.

It will be interesting to, at least, see a version of Johnson's original intentions.

2. Crash_Davis

Crash_Davis Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 31, 2006
    Great find! I loved V when I was a kid! This should make for an interesting read! :)

3. Kol_Skywalker

Kol_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2006
    I also LOVED V as a kid.

Will this be a TV-movie, mini-series, or multi-year series? Who will be hosting this --- Sci-Fi channel?

4. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Never heard of it. So it's supposed to be TV???

5. Kol_Skywalker

Jun 9, 2006
    V was a sci-fi TV show in the mid-1980's. It was really big-budget for TV at the time, and great special effects (yes, in hindsight, for the time period it was made in!).

The initial story line was pretty good... alien invasion by subtle invasion precipitated by false overtures of peace and beneficial exchange of resources and ideas.

6. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    I had a thread on this last year, when it looked like the project would be scrapped.

Originally they were going to re-make the miniseries, although this was not Johnson's first choice. Now it looks like the sequel is more or less a go (pending procurement of the necessary funds), and the book is in press (you can order it online), scheduled for an october release.

Peace,

V-03

7. Kol_Skywalker

Jun 9, 2006
    I wonder if the same actors will reprise their roles?

8. JediPrettyBoy

Jan 10, 2005
    Supposedly Singer, Grant, Badler, and Englund (at least) are all currently signed on and probably shooting as we speak.

This story scraps everything, but the original miniseries, and it takes place 20+ years later or so. The Resistance still exists, but has not had the success that V: The Final Battle gave us. Instead, the vast majority of humanity has, apparently, been seduced by the Visitors because of things like technological advancements, etc that the Visitors can offer. They have accepted Visitor occupation and believe Visitor propaganda; still not realizing or believing that many humans are being offered up as a lizard buffet.

In the original mini-series, Martin (a friendly Visitor), speaks briefly of using some of humanity (probably, the strongest) as people who will be mentally converted to serve their leader in his military to fight an "enemy" that we know nothing about. Marc Singer's character, Mike Donovan, ask Martin if they can find a way to contact this "enemy". His philosophy is sort of the whole "enemy of my enemy is my friend" thing. Not much else was said about this in the original miniseries, but the original plan that Ken Johnson had was write a sequel miniseries which revealed who that "enemy" of the Visitors was. However, as with the Salkind's and Donner, whoever has the gold makes the rules; therefore, his original concept was scrapped in many ways for, in my opinion, a still good story, but just not his original intent.

On the side, I watched the original miniseries last night. Even though Diana's unhinged jaw looks totally fake when she puts the guinea pig into her mouth, the lump in her throat just after that is, to me anyway, amazing looking. It looks, absolutely, real. I don't think CGI effects could have pulled that off.

9. JediPrettyBoy

Jan 10, 2005
    Just making some corrections.

Actually, the last scene of the original miniseries is Julie and Elias spraying a red "V" on the door of the SETI dish building instead of a poster. They have a friend there who is sending a signal into space in hopes of, eventually, reaching the enemy of the Visitors.

One thing that I do hope, is that they use the opening music from V: The Final Battle even though Ken Johnson had nothing to do with that series because the music, as one person put it on youtube.com, is brutal.

10. whisperjedi

whisperjedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 19, 2005
    U know, @ the end of the min-series, Grant or Singer mentioned that "hopefully there are enemies of "the visitors" somewhere in space...an enemy of my enemy is my friend--dialogue. They didn't go any further into this, I was looking forward 2 new aliens in the TV series, but got the smaller resistance instead (Kyle/and Ironside's character).Did Kenneth J. write into this storyline, before taken leave of the series? (New aliens?)

11. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
    One thing that I do hope, is that they use the opening music from V: The Final Battle even though Ken Johnson had nothing to do with that series because the music, as one person put it on youtube.com, is brutal.

Roger that....

I have tapes of the Final Battle, and the DVD of the Original Miniseries (I need to get the Final Battle), and the opening theme still gives me chills.

I liked the Final Battle though; given that the creative direction changed hands, I thought they did an awesome job with the tone, action, and direction of the story.

Of course, it will be amazing to see Johnson's original vision, especially with the same actors picking up their roles.

Peace,

V-03

12. JediPrettyBoy

Jan 10, 2005
    That was KJ's original intent, but the idea was scrapped by the rulers of NBC. Don't get me wrong, I like V: The Final Battle the same way I like Lester's theatrical version of Superman II. It was still a good story, but it will be neat to see KJ's original vision just as we recently got to see Donner's original intentions for Superman II. It will probably make a lot more sense and fit a lot tighter with the direction the original series.

Just to let you know, I have heard that Singer may not be returning. I appears that Mike Donovan's character is not in the new book. He is, apparently, killed by the Visitors somewhere in the last twenty years between the original mini-series and this story. As stated before, The Final Battle and The Series are not considered canon for the purposes of KJ's original story.

Hopefully, this is just a rumor unless they are going to focus on his son or something.

13. Sith_Lord_Linkoping

Sith_Lord_Linkoping Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 19, 2001
    This news has been posted on KJ's official site for quite some time now. Hopefully it will become a reality some day. Until then I'm thinking of buying the book.

14. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005

Or bring the character back brainwashed.

That being said, I do hope the bring aboard Ironside's character. I liked Ham Tyler.

15. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
    Not likely if it ignores "The Final Battle".

16. Kol_Skywalker

Jun 9, 2006
    I wonder if the new series / show / movie or whatever will be made will have the moral / analogy to the Jewish Holocaust?

17. whisperjedi

Apr 19, 2005
    That was KJ's original intent, but the idea was scrapped by the rulers of NBC. Don't get me wrong, I like V: The Final Battle the same way I like Lester's theatrical version of Superman II. It was still a good story, but it will be neat to see KJ's original vision just as we recently got to see Donner's original intentions for Superman II. It will probably make a lot more sense and fit a lot tighter with the direction the original series.

Speaking of the Donner Cut, I bought it along with the Ultimate Collectors Set...I liked the Donner Cut but not as much as the released Superman 2. It (D2) was a lot tighter, which made for a less humour version & I just could'nt get that Supe's got back his powers by getting a seizure, touching Jorel's hologram. Clark talking with his mother about Lois made more story sense. By the way, will they release "V" again for dvd? (In time 4 the 2nd series)

18. RedHanded_Jill

RedHanded_Jill Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    ooooooooooh. marc singer. sigh.

okay, V came out when i was in high school and fell in love with him. i loved the series probably because of him. but diana was like the uber villain. she frightened me. whenever i need cahones, i think of her and what would she do.

19. whisperjedi

Apr 19, 2005
    JAne Badler's(Diana) hair still scares me.

20. soxtalon

soxtalon Jedi Master star 3

Aug 16, 2002
    I still am a HUGE V fan.

I just want to correct some things. I've been following the story for awhile now.

Shooting has not started yet.

KJ has stated that Singer, Englund, Badler, and Grant are all "on-board".

Donovan has "appeared" to have died in between the original and this one...but it has been treated very wink-wink nudge nudge basically saying he's not dead and will return somewhere in the story. I don't think that's very spoilerish considering KJ has said Singer is onboard.

As of now it looks like a 3 hour tele-movie is what they are shooting for. It will not be NBC.

There are about 24 principal characters.

The new aliens will indeed be heavily involved.

As for Ham Tyler...I doubt it, but it's not out of the realm of possibility. While they are ignoring the Final Battle and the Series, Kenneth Johnson was heavily involved with the original ideas behind FB...including creating Ham Tyler.

Of course in an old Starlog issue, KJ talked about it. He said that Ham was going to be in a wheelchair. And they had this great scene written where Ham and DOnovan argue and Donovan is about to haul off and whack Tyler, which Kenny thought was great because you never see the hero hit a guy in a wheelchair, but Tyler does a little wheelie and knocks Donovan on his butt, saying "See that's your problem Gooder, you're not a killer"

In addition he mentioned that the StarChild was never a part of his script and the ending had Martin flying the mothership into deep space before it blew up while Donovan and Julie escaped.

SO, Ham may be involved...and don't be surprised if he's in a wheelchair :)

Warner Home Video is securing funds for this project at a $19mil budget. One thing not mentioned but a definite possibility is the idea of releasing it straight to DVD.

But we'll see. I'm excited and can't wait to read the book. :cool:

21. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    It would be interesting if the story was turned around to Donovan being brainwashed/nearly brainwashed instead of Julie. The Heroine saving the anti - hero instead of the hero saving the Damsel. Nice twist.

Edit: And I don't want Ham in a wheelchair! :_|

22. soxtalon

soxtalon Jedi Master star 3

Aug 16, 2002
    Given the character has been introduced as Michael Ironside, may tie his hands. It's possible they won't use him at all...but it's possible they use him as he is (no wheelchair). We'll find out soon enough :D

23. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
    Don't know how accurate this is, but go here to read a synopsis of the novel.

MAJOR spoilers, beware!

Peace,

V-03

24. master-of-les-pauls

master-of-les-pauls Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 16, 2005
    Sounds pretty cool, good to hear the characters stay true to there orginal paths from the first tv.

Just the other day I was watching clips on you tube, V is still a bad ass show

25. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    I liked the StrikeForce Morituri comic, which had a lot of common elements with V.

Worth a read if you can find a copy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.