main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

V: The Second Generation

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by JediPrettyBoy, Aug 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sith_Lord_Linkoping

Sith_Lord_Linkoping Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 19, 2001
    Great and very interesting if it turns out to be true. I've been looking forward to this book a long time now and I really hope it delivers.

2. Sith_Lord_Linkoping

Sith_Lord_Linkoping Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 19, 2001
    More intersting news.

3. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    I've just finished reading the book.

The info on his website, by the way, has been around for awhile. Johnson has been attempting to get a second miniseries made forever, but has run into problems with funding.

The story is interesting, and almost identical in tone to the original V. Fans of the Final Battle will be disappointed, however, as it ignores the events of that story, as well as the characters (aka no Ham Tyler). Also, there are some who think that The Final Battle was a better story.

I liked the new book, and it would translate well into a miniseries (which is what Johnson is looking for), but it throws out some of it's own canon from the original, which may aggravate die-hard fans.

Oh by the way, no Red Dust, either :p.

Peace,

V-03

4. Emperor's Prize

Emperor's Prize Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 1999
    Honestly, I don't think The Second Generation would make a better TV miniseries than The Final Battle (and while I enjoy The Final Battle, I'm not an unabashed fan).

I don't have any problems with Kenneth Johnson ignoring everything that happened in The Final Battle and the Weekly Series. And he does make some pretty decent additions in terms of "factions." The problem is that The Second Generation doesn't do enough to separate itself from The Final Battle. It's still a heavily plot/twist - based story, as opposed to the character-driven story of The Original Miniseries.

5. soxtalon

soxtalon Jedi Master star 3

Aug 16, 2002
    I thought the Second Generation was decent enough. There was certainly a sense of Kenneth wanting to update, yet feeling the need for similar character archetypes. So many of the characters from the Original Miniseries that DON'T appear in TSG, are there in the form of a new character.

Johnson is actually going to be making a feature film out of the Original Miniseries first, and then look to make TSG into a sequel feature film. The details are sketchy but as of April, he was getting very close to an announcement...*Shrugs*

If anyone is interested I've created a fairly major V section on my sitewhich gives news on V as well as reviews on all the mini-series, weekly series, comics, books, and even some looks at some unfilmed scripts such as the JMS proposal The Rebirth which would have followed the weekly series in the late 80s.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.