main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tucson VACCU-FORM Table Project

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by cathiecat, Jan 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cathiecat

cathiecat Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2005
    This thread is to post links and ideas and contributions for the hopeful future of our own Vaccu-form table for the TFF.

we need a host home, and imagination!!

2. dialswiftjustice

dialswiftjustice Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    Because good soldiers are made not born here are two home made table tutorials, which do you think we should go for?

http://www.tk560.com/stormtrooper.html

http://www.studiocreations.com/howto/stormtrooper/

3. Mugen

Mugen Jedi Padawan star 4

May 7, 2005
    After looking both of them over I think that with our limited resources and know how, we should do the shop vac and table, and use an oven as a heat source...we would still have to get a heat gun..(no a hairdryer wont work) Let me know when you want to get this running..and whos house this thing will be kept at.

4. hal9k1

hal9k1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2003
    Since this will be the first I Vote for simple and at someones that can afford the electricity and permiant location (owns the house) and can keep it safe.

5. MasterJediDragonSir

MasterJediDragonSir Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Well seeing as how Frankie is going to be moving in with us and I have space for it...it looks like the armor making will be done here at our house
    TTYL

6. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    well.. we don't really OWN our house.. but we can keep it safe inside of the garage, anyone that has a better plan though.. speak up and we can do it however and where ever.

7. dialswiftjustice

Jul 12, 2005
    Tim according to the websights Ive read aboutt his the shop vac should ideally be 4 horsepower, in case you still wanna volunteer yours.

Im also impatient, I think we should start with the simpler one to get this up and running and slowly upgrade. Ill start making the frame and check the horsepower on my folks' shopvac (which they've graciously donated).

8. dialswiftjustice

Jul 12, 2005
    Il go tot he hardware store to see if I can get the small parts and wood for the frames, anyone see a small table at a thrift store or somewhere let me know

9. Mugen

Mugen Jedi Padawan star 4

May 7, 2005
    we will also need aq heat gun. I am pretty sure they sell them at Home Depot, ACE or even Lowes...I dont think they would be too expensive...maybe 20 bucks or so. I will check on that. I plan on moving in with Jake and Cat this weekend...if its ok with them, so like Jake said..we can make the A-House the base of operations. LETS MAKE SOME ARMOR!!!!!!!!!! [face_devil]

10. TI-525

TI-525 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 30, 2005
    well how bout the definative how 2
    i forget the website but ithink they have vacuu-form stuff there
    google it
    its like dh2.net or com or something

11. MasterJediDragonSir

Nov 30, 2005
    We want armor...we want armor:D can't wait to have some armor

12. dialswiftjustice

Jul 12, 2005
    Wal-Mart has a 16$ heat gun, I might pick it up since I can use it on my At At helmet. I am slowly gathering pieces off of ebay for us to ercast. I got some "butt" armor (the most important piece next tot eh cod!) and some hand armor, I am bidding on some ab and cod armor, but there wasnt a buy it now price so i might get sniped.

13. timstephens4

timstephens4 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 10, 2005
    Sounds great, cannot wait for this to happen. I looked at my ShopVac, it turns out to be a 3 hp motor, sorry. The thing is about twenty years old, so 3 hp back then was amazing. Again, sorry if I got your hopes up and then just crashed them down.

14. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    no worries.. it all works out in the end.

I myself am eagerly awaiting this project to start.. should be quite interesting and hopefully will bring us closer to our dream of armor for the group.

15. timstephens4

timstephens4 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 10, 2005
    Hey Dustin, before you get too far into debt buying armor for this, let's try asking the DSG if they will allow us to borrow the stuff needed to make the standards. The worst they could do is say no, but it will not hurt us to ask. If we go up to whomever up there (don't know if someone from DSG is reading) that has their standards, and say "we have a table of our own, can we borrow some of your armor and make our own standards for our table?" I am just thinking, why spend money if we don't have to.

16. dialswiftjustice

Jul 12, 2005
    I hear you, and I also wanted to ask them if he are using plaster molds or something else, I assume so since putting hot plastic on hot plastic will not work to well. But I have my own motivation for slowly buying armor [face_devil]

17. MasterJediDragonSir

Nov 30, 2005
    Yeah that's true...but your wife better not find out[face_beatup]:D

18. dialswiftjustice

Jul 12, 2005
    Alright, my butt has arrived!

My stormtrooper back piece has arrived with the hand pieces. I am going to start rresearching making plaster molds of em. I also picked up the heat gun at Wal-mart. So heres what we need next if anyone wants to volunteer some stuff:

Open frame table with wood top like this
    [image=http://www.studiocreations.com/howto/vacuumtable/vtpicts/vt_00.jpg]

4 HP SHop Vac

Birch or walnut wood for the holding frame

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.