Abq Vacu-form table 2.0!

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by TK166, Jul 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: DieWompRatDie
  1. TK166 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I just finished my 2nd table, but I can't test it yet, it is curing...

I'll let you all know this weekend (I'll post some pix of my progress like last time!)

Will it suck? Will it work? Tune in!

picture here!

your friend Ken
  2. BrotherHalo RSA Emeritus and Heckler

star 5
    Holy cow! Heat AND suction? Can it be true?

Let us know when you need a hand doing some test runs! I think it looks good, Ken! And I'm keeping my fingers crossed for ya!
  3. Wook Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Holy cow! Heat AND suction? Can it be true?

Note to self: must get mind out of gutter ;)

Good luck Ken!!!
  4. Gecko_Fett Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Thats right....get your mind out of the gutter....there is not enough room in there for both of us!!!
  5. Wook Jedi Padawan

star 4
    [face_laugh]

Ah..the best places usually are crowded though!
  6. TK166 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    You guys crack me up! BH, you're too much!
    I have pix up now of the results at the link in my original post....
    Let me know what you think!?!?!?
  7. Gecko_Fett Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Ken...that is sweet! Can i get in line for some of that fancy wall art work you got there?
  8. BrotherHalo RSA Emeritus and Heckler

star 5
    Your description over the phone didn't do justice, Ken! The pulls turned out great! And I see what you mean about the detail (or the unsatisfactory amount of). But still, you are on the right track. I'm gonna have to see if I can find a bigger vac to try, as well. (Either borrow one or something...)

And as I told you, I will also start researching the net for the next step. I'll let you know what I turn up!
  9. TK166 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Ya, Jess, you betcha! I have 2 black Vader faces, the helmet one, and the white one! Actually, maybe one reason the detail was lacking was that my wife only halped on one and I did the rest alone... trying to force all four corners of the frame down when you only have a few seconds before the ABS hardens is streefull work! So maybe we can try it again with some helpers, and I'll give you guys a little more notice! And we can try a bigger vac if you have a 4hp or more Jess, or one of you can borrow one, just to test to see if that helps.

BH, cool, I'll be searching too!
  10. Gecko_Fett Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I do not have access for a bigger one...vac that is! :(

I asked for one on Fathers day....Yvonne got me a shop vac...only it is a 1 HP.

I promise to devote more time to this project here in the future!
  11. Lorithavon Jedi Youngling

star 3
    I'm up for helpin' and I can usually get away from my work whenever I want. So if you need help ken give me a call and I'll Show up... I'd like to be involved in the Armor making...

-lor
  12. TK166 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Cool, thanks, Lor! Jess, that's OK, Yvonne can give you a bigger one next birthday! Vac that is!
    So, we're checking out some info on casting, because some of the armor pieces flex out of their true shape under pressure... and I'm trying to get some styrene this week (and I'll check on your colored acrylic, Jess)
    But, yeah, we will have a vac party soon!
  13. Imperial_Birrer Jedi Padawan

star 4
    so, what are y'all going to form ?
  14. TK166 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Hi, Zac
    We don't have anything yet! That's why we were talking about doing some casting, so we could formoff of the molds. I have some Fett armor I am working on, but it is Sintra, and it flexes under the pressure. Jess has Tie stuff, but it is all assembled. Ditto on the Trooper armor. So we kind of have to start from scratch.
  15. varza Jedi Padawan

star 4
    you can borrow my imp guard helmet before i start working on it ken. Its at Lors house so if he comes over you can use that. Its a simple form to start with as well I am thinking.

And if you can get a good cast from it totally awesome!
  16. TK166 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Cool, thanks, Varza!
  17. TK166 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Jess, they do have acrylic in the colors we talked about, but only in 4'x8' sheets! How many little squares do you REALLY want, ha ha! But they said they have a scrap pile, $3/ lb. I'm going to go buy a sheet of HIPS on wednesday, I'll look through the scrap! You wanted pink, orange and gray, right?
  18. BrotherHalo RSA Emeritus and Heckler

star 5
    And just so everyone knows, as well, I volunteered my scout helmet since it's in pieces anyway. I'm gonna try to make a mold off of it in the next couple o' weeks. I figure if we get a good clay mold off the DP bucket, and modify it to an extent, we can beat the pants off the Altmann's biker scout helmet.
  19. Gecko_Fett Jedi Padawan

star 4
  20. BrotherHalo RSA Emeritus and Heckler

star 5
    Ooooh, what's the acrylic for?

Oh, and Ken, have you thought about refinishing the grainy side of the 1/8" ABS to make it smoother? Maybe we could try that?

The thing about the biker bucket, too, is that there's not a lot of detail on it, so it might be an easy pull!
  21. varza Jedi Padawan

star 4
    anytime ken, I figure if we can get that to work and its a good piece to practice on we can go from there to make a mold to make imp helmets...

hum, do they have purple?
  22. Imperial_Birrer Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Id buy a scout helmet if ya make 'em.

I have no vac experiance so Me and my bro are teaming up with a local guy for our stuff. We are going to remold the Royal guard helmets to be bigger(stupid thing doesnt fit us). from those molds I am going to make a blue senate guard set of mold and possibley carnor jax.
  23. BrotherHalo RSA Emeritus and Heckler

star 5
    Hey I_B, that sounds cool. Who else are you working with for vacu-forming?

We'll make sure to keep track of any progress we make with the scout helmet...
  24. Imperial_Birrer Jedi Padawan

star 4
    josh anaya here in mos puebla. He was one of the main helmet/costume makers for the WOTR event. I now work at hobby lobby so i can get most of our supplies for the costumes.
  25. TK166 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Hi, BH, yeah, that might work, I have a palm sander that might work to take the grain off.
    IB, do you know if Josh uses ABS or Styrene, and which type of table he has?
Moderators: DieWompRatDie
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.