main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Abq Vacu-form table 2.0!

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by TK166, Jul 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrotherHalo

BrotherHalo RSA Emeritus and Heckler star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 12, 2003
    Josh has told me he uses Styrene. That whole double-sided glossy ABS is hard to come by up there, too.

I don't know anything about his table though...

2. Imperial_Birrer

Imperial_Birrer Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2003
    umm this is not meant to be sarcastic but, his table is a card table with peg baord that is 24 by 24 with a vacum attachment on the bottom.

3. TK166

TK166 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 15, 2004
    Wow! And it works well? Another weak point on mine might be the seal between the fram that holds the plastic and the pegboard surface. I have some weather stripping there, but it's hard to tell! Zac, does he have any kind seal like that, or is it just frame edges touching the pegboard?

Thanks for your help, I really like to hear what others use and what actually works!

Also, he pulls biker scout armor, right? Does he have some kind of solid molds to form off of, or does he form right off of actual armor?

Sorry for the barrage of questions!

4. Imperial_Birrer

Imperial_Birrer Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2003
    no prob. For once i am on the reciving end of quetions, it feel good. :D
    I think he has the plastic between the frame edges. on the bottom he has some form of weather stripping, I think it is similar to car/window weather stripping.
    And he sculpted his own molds, they are very nice looking.He tried to do his own helmet. i liked it but he doesnt think its right.

5. TK166

TK166 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 15, 2004
    Got some HIPS, go check out the ne wpic, it worked pretty well!picture here! (at the bottom)

6. BrotherHalo

BrotherHalo RSA Emeritus and Heckler star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 12, 2003
    Looks nice, Ken! But it also looks like we need to find a stronger vac. Also, I was wondering, how rigid and flexible is the HIPS? I noticed you tried the latest pull with 1/16" thick HIPS - that's not very thick... For a bucket, it may be alright...

7. TK166

TK166 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 15, 2004
    Stronger vac, yes, that's next on my list of things to try. But this vader mask is a pretty tall and intricate buck to form off of, too.
    Actually, our stormtrooper armor is only 1/16". It is pretty rigid due to the curvature of the pieces... as soon as the plastic does from flat to a shape it gets very rigid.
    The white 1/8 ABS vader head seemed very thick in comparison. But I may try some 1/8" HIPS, they just didn't have any in stock.
    When I compare a flat 1/16" piece of ABS to the same thickness piece of HIPS, they seem to have very similar properties. They seem to be the same in rigidness and flex. The same goes for comparing the two 1/16" vader heads. Very similar. Hmmm. Or as Varza would say, "hoom" (or is it "hum"?) Varza, are you part Ent?

8. Gecko_Fett

Gecko_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 1, 2003
    Hey Ken....Looks good!

9. ChiefsBlow2004

ChiefsBlow2004 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 15, 2004
    *pokes everyone*

My ears were ringing, and thought people were talking about me...umm...even though this was over a month ago. LOL.

Hi. I'm Josh. :D Umm...currently stuck in a sock cuz I lost a stupid bet. :p

We can't get ABS for anything up here. Minimum order is 1 *ton*, so we've sorta held off. We also have yet to wire up an oven in the garage since we bought a house earlier this year, so the vac table's down atm. [face_plain] It's a card table base, with a sheet of peg board on top of it with some spacers and sealant around the edges. Suck power is a 6.0 HP Sears shop vac. I plan to improve on the design when I get everything moving again in the next couple of months. We've gotten a few Scouts out of it, as well as a couple TIE pilots. It's served its purpose so far. :)

10. IknowtheChiefsSuck

IknowtheChiefsSuck Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 15, 2004
    wow, speek of the devil (and he shows up 2 months late)! Another totured sock.

11. ChiefsBlow2004

ChiefsBlow2004 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 15, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.