Vader and Force Choke

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by farrellg, Oct 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Darth_Nub, MOC Yak Face
  1. farrellg Force Ghost

star 4
    Did anyone ever wonder why Vader doesn't try to force choke Obi-Wan or Luke during their duels? The best explanation I could think of is that its much harder to force choke a Jedi than it is to force choke an average person. Maybe Obi-Wan and Luke would know how to block a force choke if Vader tried it on them, or they might even be able to force choke him back.

This is one reason why force lightning might seem more impressive than a force choke. We've only seen force choke used on non-force sensitive people in the OT. However, the Emperor used lightning on a full-fledged Jedi Knight. He didn't even need a lightsaber and could defeat Luke with just force powers, unlike Vader who had to use a lightsaber against both Luke and Obi-Wan.
  2. Whiney_Farmboy Force Ghost

Well, for one, it takes concentration to do such things. I imagine that a Jedi Master like Obi-Wan would exploit such a weakness.
  3. CaptainBinaca Force Ghost

star 3
    It didn't seem to be a problem for Dooku against Obi-wan.
  4. darthvaderv Jedi Master

star 4
    Well it's interesting but as you said it's down to the fact that it probably is harder to force choke a jedi. They could counter the move with their powers. With a normal person they are helpless. As a visual, onscreen, I can't see it looking all that great if GL went with a scene to show Vader force choke either Obi or Luke it would be out of place.
  5. morpha2 Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Plus it seems to be more of an intimidating display to use on people weaker than him than his ace-in-the-hole move in battle.
  6. Darra Jedi Knight

Only Vader has used the Force choke, right? Could it be something only he can do? Did he, one day in his rage, use the Force to reach out and choke someone? Palpatine said he saw Anakin becoming the most powerful Jedi ever. Perhaps he forsaw that Anakin would become more powerful than even himself, at least until his body was destroyed on Mustafar. I understand that because of his "new body" he wasn't able to conjure Sith lightening.

As far as using it against Obi-Wan on Mustafar, maybe he really wanted the pleasure of destroying him. Force choking would be too easy.
  7. morpha2 Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    ^^^ Luke used it in ROTJ outside Jabba's palace.

That sounds pretty plausible.
  8. Darra Jedi Knight

OOPS! Yeah, I remember now. He got one of the guards. I don't think he was in a fit of anger though, but he is his father's son, after all. I've never heard or read that any of the other Jedi using it. But, I've only read a few of the book, though.

Anyone else out there know if any other Jedi used the Force choke? I'd really like to know because it's my understanding that Luke went to the dark side, someone even told me he could move back and forth between the two. I don't know if that is true, but if he and Anakin are the only two who can do this maybe this is the reason why? Anakin was obviously moving between the two as he was moving closer to the dark side. He was still able to do it as Vader, so perhaps it's only a Sith power, and it was easier for Luke to Force choke that guard rather than waste time on really fighting with him.

Oh, and to add to my previous comment about Anakin wanting to defeat Obi-Wan rather Force choking him with ease, defeating Obi-Wan in battle would prove, to Anakin, once and for all that Obi-Wan was no longer a "master" to him.

Anakin's rise and fall is curious to me. He has a connection to the Force like no other, has an incredible command of it, and it freed him from slavery on Tatooine. However, he was born a slave and nearly died a slave. Becoming a Jedi requires slave like sacrifices, giving up family, friends,which were all he ever had, material things, which he never had, and follow the rules and regulations of the Jedi Order. He must go on missions by the Council's decision. Likes and dislikes play no part in the life of a Jedi. Basically he trades one type of slavery for another, and he is not able to do what he can to save the ones he loves. Who wouldn't be angry?

9. Jedi_Master_Cazz Jedi Master

star 4
    I reckon Obi-wan could deflect the force-choke. And Vader has to be angry to do it. And he was never really, truly angry with Luke...so maybe he couldn't summon it?

Cheers_Cazza@};-
  10. farrellg Force Ghost

star 4
    Anyone else out there know if any other Jedi used the Force choke?

On the ROTS DVD Commentary, it was said that Mace Windu used force choke on General Grievous, which is the reason for his coughing. If Windu used it, then I don't think its exclusively a dark side power.
  11. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling

star 6
    As it's been said, it would take a lot of concentration to pull something like a force choke off during mid-battle. Besides, it wouldn't be that useful anyway.

And to answer your question, I'm not aware of any other Jedi using a force choke, but I'm sure it was used before. No power is created to be a Light Side power or a Dark Side power, they can be used in any way. The thing that classifies a power is the intention of the person using the power. If a person uses a force choke or something like that for mere self-defense or for a distraction of the enemy, it wouldn't be used for the Dark Side.
  12. Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus

star 6
    didn't luke use the force choke on the gamorrean guards when he enters jabba's palace in ROTJ?
  13. sith_rising Force Ghost

star 4
    It's too much of a distraction to try to use during combat. Even without oxygen, his opponent would only need a few seconds to kill him with a lightsaber. Better to focus on fencing, hurling objects, acrobatics, shoving an opponent away, etc. Force choking is better suited to executions, rather than combat.
  14. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling

star 6
    Jedi_Master_Conor posted on 10/29/05 11:37am/>
    Yes, but that was just a distraction so he wouldn't have to kill the guard and start a massacre inside the Palace./>/>
  15. scottb7 Jedi Padawan

Didn't Count Dooku force choke Kenobi in their fight in Episode III?
  16. Agent_SkywalKer Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Meh. That was.....force....grab.
  17. yoshifett Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    It was...um...both. Watch the way Obi-Wan gasps for air and grabs at his throat.

Anyway, the use of the force is...ready for this...NOT LOGICAL! :eek:

I hope I didn't shock anyone.

It's a plot device. There are literally dozens of scenarios where a Jedi/Sith could simple use the force to get out of a problem, but they don't. Why? Because it would be boring. It would be like a video game that you only get to watch but can't play (No cracks about TPM :p)

When Lucas decides it's time for some force usage to solve a problem, then it's time.

Someone wise once said that spaceships in science-fiction travel at the speed of the plot. The same can be said of the force.
  18. Astral_Bug Force Ghost

star 1
    He didn't force-choke Luke, 'cause Vader was only trying to make Luke angry enough(Rots) to kill Palps, and in ESB to turn him to teh DarkSide. If he choked him, Luke would probably die.
  19. Dark_Jawa_Knight Jedi Knight

star 1
    I think that you can only choke a jedi that has weak resistance to dark side powers, or someone who isnt a jedi at all.
  20. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling

star 6
    Technically, you can choke anyone. It's just that some have a higher resistance to it at times.
Moderators: Darth_Nub, MOC Yak Face
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.