main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Vader and Shadows of the Empire

Discussion in 'Literature' started by DEWORE-DEWKNOT, Feb 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DEWORE-DEWKNOT

DEWORE-DEWKNOT Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 17, 2002
    I love this book. Do you think that after GL is finished with the movies we will see more books about Vader or will the NJO series be the dominate story. I like NJO but I also like Vader. We really don't know much about the inner workings of him during his "Lordship".

We have stories about everyone from Han to Lando, don't you think we could have a couple of trilogies devoted just to Vader during his prime badness ?

( not pre-Vader but VADER ?)

2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Maybe you'll get that but you'll wait a long, long time. Minimum: 2006 I'd say.

Jedi Ben

3. JediStryker

JediStryker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 5, 2000
    I must be the only one who didn't like SotE. I especially didn't like Vader's characterization in the book.

I guess I'm all alone. :( ;)

4. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I have to say that SOTE is one of the best novels in the EU. I like how Vader is portrayed, with his thoughts and trying to get Luke..

5. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    You're not alone, JediStryker.

6. Darth Ludicrous

Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 25, 2000
    $hadow$ was probably the biggest let down for me ever. It was the first novel I didn't wait for the soft cover to but. I expected so much more than what was delivered, and everyone who saw all the hints and previews that led up to this event should realize it too.
    So many untapped characters.... Boussh before his death would have been cool. Ket Maliss seemed like he was supposed to be important but wasn't. The novel had to be the weakest part of this multimedia event. Remember the scene when Chewie and Leia are getting in diguise? This was written well after the same scene in Crystal Star, yet in that novel Leia freaks him out with her long hair and makeup.

eh, so many things could have been done better.
    In the comic Luke and Lando weren't depicted in the cool trooper outfits. Actually, haven' sen that armor since even though it was uber cool.

7. jade_angel

jade_angel Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2001
    SOTE has been my one of my favourite novels purely for the fact that it's the only EU novel so far that features Vader and his thoughts. I didn't care for how Luke was characterized... didn't seem to sit well with how dark and calm he was in ROTJ and especially considering its after ESB he'd be a little more angsty, but I suppose that we can't have an entire book dedicated to Luke moaning about how horrible it is to have Vader as his father... that's for fanfiction.

I also didn't care for Dash, but at least he didn't survive for that long... despite SOTE: Evolution. Anyway, it was a great book that I loved to read over and over again.

8. JediStryker

JediStryker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 5, 2000
    I didn't like Luke's characterization, it just didn't fit in with the continuity of the movies. (He goes from would-be-Jedi-hero back to whiny farm boy then to Jedi hero in what, a few months time?)

The 'romance' between Luke and Leia was forced and made me a little queasy. I mean, Leia's back and forth didn't seem realistic, what with her already confessing her love to Han. Maybe if she and Luke had grown a little distant because of that, it would have been more realistic, but the romance thing didn't work for me.

Xizor. I could not stand him. The way he spoke, the way he was portrayed; it did not sit well with me. I didn't think his plan to replace Vader was realistic; he was a crime lord, not the commander of a naval fleet. Why did he want to make that transition? It wasn't explained well to me.

Anyway, I could go on, but I'll leave it at that. I couldn't believe the hype that SotE got, and sometimes I wonder.

9. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Let's see, why did I throw out Shadows? Probably because of the plot being lacklustre. I didn't like Perry's Leia at all. Vader was OK but the idea of anyone being equal to Vader just doesn't jel, the whole point is Vader is the Emperor's second in command and unassailable. Nor is he stupid, OK so Xizor found that out the hard way but...

I considered there was little to explain between the two films. The big gap for me is ANH-ESB, which I have CSW for.

Jedi Ben

10. DEWORE-DEWKNOT

Jan 17, 2002
    The reason I liked it so much is because we get to see Vader and some of his thoughts.

I want more of this. Perhaps after EPIII. There is a lot of time between EPIII and ANH. Fill it with Vader books. Will GL allow it ?

11. Palp_Faction

Palp_Faction Force Ghost star 4

Feb 3, 2002
    I too like SOTE simply because it was the first time we were able to access the thoughts going on behind the mask. I hope that after E3 we get many more Vader books set before ANH - he could be such an interestign and complex character to write for.

What I didn't like about SOTE was that some bits didn't sit well because they were thrown in to accommodate the events in the comic and the game. Seemed a bit "bitty". The soundtrack's good though!

12. DEWORE-DEWKNOT

Jan 17, 2002
    Palp Fiction

Do you think we will get more ? I have a bad feeling that GL will want us to feel sorry for Vader and not as a villian. That may lead him to say," No more books" because authors will no doubt love the opportunity to write him as being bad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.