main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Vader carbon-freezing symbolic of Anakin's need to "stop the change"?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by waheennay, Jun 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. waheennay

waheennay Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    I was listening to the DVD commentary on AOTC
    again recently and George talks about Anakin not accepting changes in his life and his need to "freeze things" so stay how they are, and how that leads to his going to the Dark Side. It made me think of Vader in TESB wanting to "freeze" Luke in carbonite, and first testing it on Han. I always thought why that was really necessary for Vader to do that since I think he could easily capture Luke and take him to the Emperor without doing that.

2. Esperanza_Nueva

Esperanza_Nueva Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 23, 2003
    interesting observation.. i also always found it weird that Vader would have to "freeze" Luke in order to take him to the Emperor.. perhaps even in Vader's search for Luke, he is really just looking for his true self

3. Sophita

Sophita Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    An interesting observation indeed. :) I always assumed Vader wanted to freeze Luke because it would be easier to transport him that way, and it would prevent Luke from having a choice (as he does between falling down the shaft or joining his father at the en d of the fight).

4. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Heh heh, I don't this was intentional. But I love it when people spot little symbolism like this :D

5. lorn_zahl

lorn_zahl Jedi Master star 4

Oct 19, 2002
    I don't think theres any correlation between Anakin not wanting to change and the carbonite.

It's just alot easier to transport a jedi in you're custody when he's frozen.

6. Sith-and-Tired

Sith-and-Tired Jedi Youngling

Aug 9, 2003
    I like it and it seems like a valid argument. Perhaps Vader wanted to "freeze" Luke the way that he was. Because he had just left Yoda, he was a a crucial turning point in his life. He was facing Vader and being forced to decide to become a Jedi or a Sith. He would also have an additional emotional burden that his father was alive and evil. Perhaps Vader sensed that Luke could be toying with a turn to the Dark side. Why not? The Emperor already had forseen Luke being destructive? If Vader could freeze his son, he could prevent his son from making the same mistake that he had made.

Vader had an internal struggle between his evil self and a sliver of goodness that remained. His good side may want to preserve his son as a Jedi. He wants to but he is powerless against the Emperor.

7. DarthTenebrous

DarthTenebrous Jedi Youngling

Aug 4, 2003
    Actually, just more portable. Kind of like a TV dinner. MMMMMMMMMM....TV dinner.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.