main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Vader Classic Action Mask Mods

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by rpoulos, Dec 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rpoulos

rpoulos Jedi Youngling

Nov 10, 2004
    I'm hoping someone will have some experience with cutting some of the neck flare off of a CA Vader helmet. I have one and am considering doing this as you cannot really turn your head when in full armor...it looks like about 1" off the neck flare will do the trick, but I'm not sure what would work best to cut it..

any ideas?

thanks,

Rob

2. I_M_CHOKING_U

I_M_CHOKING_U Jedi Youngling

Nov 26, 2004
    a dremel tool...

3. skip1

skip1 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2002
    i used those heavy duty cutting snips.they are at the hardware store for around 5-10 bucks.i think walmart may have a good price on a 3 pack.
    they will cut right through the plastic.
    a dremel will work but you can get a straight line well.
    also,i used masking tape to create a line.it is easier to see against the black and you can really tell if what you have lined up will be straight.
    i would make a couple of lower cuts first and keep trying it on to be sure you have cut it enough.

definately take your time.once cut sandpaper the bottom edge.but dont hit the flat front part since that plastic is soft.

4. EricT

EricT Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 2, 2004
    I used a dremel on mine with no problems, but the cutting-shears idea would work fine, as well - the plastic is quite soft. I just had to get past the jitters involved at taking a cutting tool to a $350 mask ;-).

I cannot emphasize enough to do it in VERY small increments. Trim a little, test-fit, trim a little more, test-fit, etc. Take off as little as possible until you have enough freedom of movement.

Eric Tank
    SL-7171 Garrison Tyranus

Edit : Thought of this shortly after I posted the above - I also found that rounding the lower corners of the neck flare helped GREATLY. Without the sharp corners, the mask wouldn't catch on the chest armor. Do this slowly, also, and you don't need to take off much - maybe 1/4-1/2" radius is plenty.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.