main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Vader Down (One-Shot) (Vader Down, part 1 of 6)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Rebel-Jedi, Jul 11, 2015.

1. Rebel-Jedi

Rebel-Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jan 26, 2005
  2. smoothkaz

smoothkaz Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 25, 2014
    Mavel's stuff has frankly been my favorite new canon works so far, so I'm quite hyped for this.

3. Rebel-Jedi

Rebel-Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jan 26, 2005
    I wonder if Vader Down will be included in the future Darth Vader Vol.3 TPB?

4. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Heh, 3PO meeting 000 will certainly be interesting.

5. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    And Aphra meeting Han Solo. LOL.

6. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    So what is this? One special issue and the rest comes out between darth vader ongoing and the Star Wars one? Or is their something I missed?

7. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Ah, crossovers, I suppose it was inevitable now that the comics are in Marvel's hands.

Excited about the story, but I gotta wonder about the format.

Zorrixor likes this.
  8. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    The most likely way this will be collected is as:

Star Wars: Vader Down

With the launch issue and the rest of the arc, with separate trades for each series resuming afterwards.

Given the recently announced delays on the SW books though, I'd see November as optimistic, probably more likely to be December now.

Dante1120 and Ewok Poet like this.
  9. ifleninwasawizard

ifleninwasawizard Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2014
  10. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Cynical much?

Why should they need to be? Plus, if you've read LotS, you know then that the Emperor and Vader are less hunted and more utterly slaughtering everything they see with nary a wasted breath or exertion.

This would seem to supply what some felt LotS lacked - a real enemy for Vader that could kill him.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  11. ifleninwasawizard

Jun 2, 2014
    I'm not saying they are exactly they same, but they are advertising it as something completely new. "This makes Vader Down a new kind of Darth Vader story: he’s not the hunter, he’s the hunted." At the very least the people writing the article should have known the basic plot outline for LotS. It's not the end of the world or anything, I'm not outraged. I'm just pointing out that this type of story isn't entirely new.

And I did read LotS.
    Vader is very much in a situation where he is being hunted. Sure, Sidious set up the whole thing, but part of the reason was to test Vader.

12. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Frankly it comes across as pointless carping to me.

Of course they are going to advertise it as something new, what else should they do? Market it as "Read This Story You've Read Before"?

As for LotS, clearly I read a different book to you.

As to the writers, why should they be required to know of LotS? You seem to be thinking they're bad SW fans, but as it's SDCC this weekend, it's far more likely they're comic fans reporting on the news that comes out as it comes out.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  13. ifleninwasawizard

Jun 2, 2014
    First, you are putting words in my mouth. I never said they were bad star wars fans. Secondly, did you actually read the link I posted? It's from the official star wars site, where I assume they should know about LotS.

14. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    I just hope that we won't get Luke vs Vader again...until TESB that is. And the cover reminds me a little of the Darth Vader and the Ghost Prison #1 by Tsuneo Sanda
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Definitely interesting and this might be the definitive moment that marks Vader's rise to level we see him at in Ep. V.

I to am wondering how this is going to play out in the various comics. It says it will kick off with the Vader Down issue #1 and then continue in the two different lines they have going already. Is Vader Down only going to be a special 1 issue or are they implying that the story won't continue in the two regular lines until the Vader Down arc is over?

16. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Really? You say you assume they should know about LotS but they don't mention it, which you appear to see as a detriment - so what conclusion am I to draw about your view of them from that statement other than a negative one?

I'm still not seeing why they should know of LotS? Or, perhaps a more accurate phrasing, why is not mentioning it so awful?

17. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    How it'll likely go:
    1. Vader Down #1
    2. SW #13
    3. SWDV #13
    4. SW #14
    5. SWDV #14
    6. SW #15
    Or vice versa on the 2 main series. Might be the other way around as the story could then conclude in DV, while SW does another ObiWan tale.

18. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Oh ok. So there is actually only going to be one comic titled Vader Down and the rest of the series will be within the two regular lines. That makes sense. Was a little confusing because they said Vader Down was going to be a six issue arc. Guess it will only be six issues though if you include the other two comic lines.

19. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    The regular series will probably add a "Vader Down" subtitle to each issue. Like, part one of SW was Star Wars: Skywalker Strikes, so this'd be Star Wars: Vader Down, part X, and Darth Vader: Vader Down, part X.

Saga Explorer and Jedi Ben like this.
  20. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Hopefully Aphra doesn't get killed during this arc. Would be a good time to kill her off though if they don't want to drag her character on throughout the entire OT timeline. Doesn't look like Vader has any intentions of killing her himself at this point.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  21. ifleninwasawizard

Jun 2, 2014
    It's not "so awful." As I've previously pointed out I don't think this is a huge issue. It's just that the people at LFL are acting like this is entirely new, when they released a book with a lot of similarities only a few months ago. I just wanted to point that out. I'm sorry if that was too negative for you. I'm usually pretty positive about the franchise.

22. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015

You have to remember that these people in this universe spend virtually half their lives traveling through space almost. It would make sense for them to have to crash land more than once.

23. ifleninwasawizard

Jun 2, 2014
    Yah, I really don't have a problem with the story itself. If anything it's appropriate that Anakin's tendency to crash land doesn't stop when he becomes a Sith Lord.

Vthuil likes this.
  24. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    "Another happy landing."

25. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    If we're complaining about anything, it should be that the big comic announcement they saved for the day after the TFA panel was so thoroughly underwhelming. So there's a crossover event. I mean that's cool, but you couldn't have announced that yesterday? Chewbacca would've been more interesting to announce today, even.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.